Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 19 December, 2013, 03:29:21 AM
Quote from: IronGraham on 13 December, 2013, 09:35:22 PM
He He hope Judge Burdis didn't hear me :ssh:

I watch this thread with a permanent scowl, as the torture that is the spine debate continues :'(

Good job he's doesn't monitor the 'Dust' thread  :-[
DDT did a job on me

shaolin_monkey

I'm not usually very anal about this kind of stuff, but I do like the look of all my Lone Wolf and Cub volumes stacked in numerical order on my shelf.

Skullmo

I am missing the spines thread.

Here is something to cause controversy

It's a joke. I was joking.

COMMANDO FORCES

GET OUT!

How could you do that to us all! I can see everyone booking in for some intensive therapy now :'(

J.Smith

If I could, I would burn that shelf to ashes. T_T

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

YOUR A GOD DAMN DEVIANT AS WELL!!!!!!

Tombo

I'm glad this threads been resurrected since it lets me ask a pertinent question without having to create a new tread.  It is the definitive question regarding shelving.  Or rather a question about the definitive article.

When people are arranging their shelving A-Z where do you put titles which begin with the word "The" i.e. does The Boys go near the beginning of your shelving or at the end?  What about The Losers? The Sandman, The Walking Dead?

Personally I'm tempted to ignore the "The" and simply place each series based on the second word of the title.

IndigoPrime

That's what I do. A lot of listings put a 'the' on the end anyway, after a comma.

Dandontdare

When it comes to my Marvel GNs I order them by character - so all the various incarnations of the Avengers on the left, moving to the various X-titles on the right. But where the hell am I supposed to put the Avengers vs X-men books eh? EH? (and don't suggest the bin - they weren't THAT bad!)

I'm still wrestling unsuccessfully with my phone to get a picture uploaded of my latest horror - I bought vols 1-3 of Superior Spiderman off Amazon - they are slim with white spines. I later went back to buy vols 3-6 - they are much thicker with the black-and-red format spines.

Hawkmumbler

I order things by continent < country < publicant < chronological order of first appearence.

Though this leaves a few bouncing around as I can't decide where they belong (should Miracleman and V for Vendetta go with under Warrior in the UK material, or in the misc. US material?...) ultimateky I find little folt with how it's layed out. Gantz is a nightmare though because looks wierd next to all the massive Biz edition sof All You Need is Kill and Biomega.

Proudhuff

I put mine on order of how much I think the author is a dick
DDT did a job on me

IronGraham

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 October, 2014, 06:19:44 PM
When it comes to my Marvel GNs I order them by character - so all the various incarnations of the Avengers on the left, moving to the various X-titles on the right. But where the hell am I supposed to put the Avengers vs X-men books eh? EH? (and don't suggest the bin - they weren't THAT bad!)

I'm still wrestling unsuccessfully with my phone to get a picture uploaded of my latest horror - I bought vols 1-3 of Superior Spiderman off Amazon - they are slim with white spines. I later went back to buy vols 3-6 - they are much thicker with the black-and-red format spines.

Did you by any chance get half the us collection and the other half the uk collections?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Skullmo

Quote from: Tombo on 06 October, 2014, 05:13:25 PM
I'm glad this threads been resurrected since it lets me ask a pertinent question without having to create a new tread.  It is the definitive question regarding shelving.  Or rather a question about the definitive article.

When people are arranging their shelving A-Z where do you put titles which begin with the word "The" i.e. does The Boys go near the beginning of your shelving or at the end?  What about The Losers? The Sandman, The Walking Dead?

Personally I'm tempted to ignore the "The" and simply place each series based on the second word of the title.

To use someone else's joke

I arranged my record collection alphabetically and they all ended up in the T section because they started with The. So I ignored The. And it was fine until I got to 'The The'.
It's a joke. I was joking.

I, Cosh

The definite article is always ignored for filing purposes. An indefinite article is contingent. This is where I expect Colin to burst into song.
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 October, 2014, 06:27:15 PM
I order things by continent < country < publicant < chronological order of first appearence.
Excellent work. Out of interest, is it country of origin of the publisher or the character? Depending on your answer, where would you file A: Alpha Flight, B: Captain Britain, C: Marvel UK, D: Different volumes of Requiem published by Heavy Metal (which you had to order from us amazon) and Panini?
We never really die.