Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

Off down the comic shop to pick up issue one of the Wild Storm, very excited!

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 February, 2017, 08:01:21 PMAnyway over all just brilliant comics and while I always struggle with this I think Eric Powell might, just might be my favourite none 2000ad artist... just might!

Did you pick up last years' FCBD Prog, Colin?

Smith

Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 February, 2017, 09:03:27 AM
Me too.
90's kids will understand. :)

Mardroid

The first volume of Hawk and Dove (New 52) from the library.

While I think the concept of two superheroes with powers based around being avatars of War and Peace is interesting... I wasn't keen on this. Nice art though.

I'm now reading Hellraiser: The Fear Machine. While I like the concept of John Constantine I've often found his books rather meandering, not really going anywhere*, although the experience isn't all that bad. (I'm not saying they're all like that, as there's probably a lot of Hellraiser I haven't read. They're an interesting read at least.)

I'm enjoying this one so far though. A good read and there's direction. The character himself seems a little bit different from the one I've seen in the past. A bit less dark and sarcastic, and a bit more moral, maybe. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. While I liked the dark quirks, it could get a bit much sometimes for reason below.*

*[spoiler]Or it goes somewhere, but then Contantine washes his hands and walks away rather than risking himself further....[/spoiler]

Old Tankie

Really want to praise Close Encounters comic shop in Peterborough.  Well stocked shop with lovely staff.  Me and the missus went in there this morning and asked if they had any copies of the new "The Wild Storm" comic available.  She said, "Yes, of course."  Then asked us which one we wanted, as there were variant covers.  We said, "We'll take that one, as our lad drew it."  She then handed it to us, saying "No charge!"  We tried to pay her four times, but she wasn't having it!!  She didn't know us from Adam.  Wonderful lady.

Link Prime

Quote from: Smith on 15 February, 2017, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 February, 2017, 09:03:27 AM
Me too.
90's kids will understand. :)

90's teens will have a passing interest too.
I've pre-ordered a copy- unlikely to be disappointed with Ellis & JDH.

Theblazeuk

Jon Davis-Hunt is your lad Tankie? I assume in the sense of something more than just 'drew cracking stuff for 2000AD"?

Big day then :) Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Hope it all goes better than the Ellis-written New Universe for Marvel, which was really bloody good for the 5 minutes before his laptop died and we lost everything forever.

(ALso Mardroid, Hawk & Dove have always been cack characters. One of my earliest comic memories is one of them dying in Crisis on Infinite Earths and little me thinking 'they look stupid')

TordelBack

Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 February, 2017, 03:43:18 PM
Really want to praise Close Encounters comic shop in Peterborough.  Well stocked shop with lovely staff.  Me and the missus went in there this morning and asked if they had any copies of the new "The Wild Storm" comic available.  She said, "Yes, of course."  Then asked us which one we wanted, as there were variant covers.  We said, "We'll take that one, as our lad drew it."  She then handed it to us, saying "No charge!"  We tried to pay her four times, but she wasn't having it!!  She didn't know us from Adam.  Wonderful lady.

That's just ace Tankie, icing on an already sumptuous cake!

Old Tankie

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 15 February, 2017, 09:50:52 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 February, 2017, 08:01:21 PMAnyway over all just brilliant comics and while I always struggle with this I think Eric Powell might, just might be my favourite none 2000ad artist... just might!

I certainly did. But one strip does not a 2000ad artist make... does it?

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 February, 2017, 05:32:15 PM

For me it probably does but I agree it's a bit of a weird area.  Personally, I'd consider artists like Dave McKean and Bill Sienkiewicz to fit in here due to their Titan covers (three and 16, respectively) and other bits and pieces.  Probably there's a thread for this somewhere...

sheridan

Quote from: ming on 16 February, 2017, 09:46:09 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 February, 2017, 05:32:15 PM

For me it probably does but I agree it's a bit of a weird area.  Personally, I'd consider artists like Dave McKean and Bill Sienkiewicz to fit in here due to their Titan covers (three and 16, respectively) and other bits and pieces.  Probably there's a thread for this somewhere...

Nah - though McKean makes it for the contents page of that Sci-Fi Special instead!

Colin YNWA

Ouuuhhh interesting see I figure a Droid has to have a BIG body of work to count as 2000ad. That of course raises a question how much.... now there I come unstuck of course as my answer is I dunno!

I think we do need a thread on this...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 February, 2017, 08:41:26 PM
Ouuuhhh interesting see I figure a Droid has to have a BIG body of work to count as 2000ad. That of course raises a question how much.... now there I come unstuck of course as my answer is I dunno!

I agree, but the answer is one story.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 February, 2017, 12:09:56 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 February, 2017, 08:41:26 PM

I agree, but the answer is one story.
But do FCBD issues count? Co sidering by this point it's almost tradition to have a recognised US artist on the strip for the first time, Powell, Hawthorne...almost Breyfogle.

In my eyes, these guys thoug phenomenal talents aren't TRUE droids. Maybe auxiliary droids, but not true droids.