Main Menu

The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire limited hardcover announced

Started by IndigoPrime, 01 November, 2019, 12:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Rebellion is pleased to announce a limited pre-order for the hardcover edition of the first volume of The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire.

Available to pre-order exclusively through the Treasury of British Comics webshop between 1st November and 4th December, this individually numbered 304-page special edition hardcover will ship in March 2020.

Featuring stunning artwork taken from crisp scans of Don Lawrence original artwork, this first volume includes a touching introduction from Liam Sharp (Green Lantern), who – along with Judge Dredd artist Chris Weston – was mentored by Lawrence early in his career.

Co-created by Mike Butterworth and Don Lawrence, The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire merges the movie serials of the 1930s, Flash Gordon, John Carter, and ancient history into a sprawling, classic science-fiction epic. It has been named as a major influence by the likes of writer Neil Gaiman (Sandman), artist Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) and Brian Bolland (Judge Dredd), amongst many others. This special hardcover edition perfectly showcases the remarkable talent of Lawrence, who is rightfully regarded as one of the finest artists in British comics history.

Rebellion is offering this limited-time pre-order to give fans the opportunity to own a slice of history in a sumptuous hardcover that will have pride of place on any shelf.

A paperback collection of volume one will also be available in March from all good retailers and comic book stores – the first time the series has been collected in a mass market edition.

Originally published in the anthology title Ranger from September 1965, and Look and Learn from June 19966 until April 1982, the series told the story of an alien empire on the planet Elekton that was heavily influenced by history, particularly that of the Roman Empire. Created by Mike Butterworth, who died in 1986, and artist Don Lawrence, who died in 2004, the series' mix of political intrigue and Lawrence's lush painted artwork won a host of fans worldwide, and proved to be highly influential, inspiring a generation of comic book creators with its depth and beauty.

Don, who started out as a comics creator in the Gower Street Studios in London, first working on Marvelman before moving on to Karl the Viking for Lion. Other artists who worked on the strip include Ron Embleton, Miguel Quesada, Philip Corke, Oliver Frey and Gerry Wood.

Although the strip has seen only limited English-language release it remains one of the most popular comic series in Holland and Germany, with over two million albums sold.

The limited edition Don Lawrence cover hardcover of volume one of The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire is available to order now from www.treasuryofbritishcomics.com, until 4th December.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/RCA-B0069

TordelBack

Soooo tempting. Having only read early TE in whatever battered Look&Learns our school library had retained, I was going to be getting the TPB anyway, buuuut...

karlos

Many thanks for the heads up - will be ordering this beauty tonight!

Tjm86

Dear Rebellion

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, ......

(and ordered ....)

Mind you, if they only do this for the first volume ....

Ah well, one is better than none I 'suppose.

Jade Falcon

I remember getting the 12 volume set from the Don Lawrence collection which is going for silly money nowadays.

Example here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIGAN-EMPIRE-Vol-1-H-C-Don-Lawrence-Look-Learn-Limited-Edition/264507399234?hash=item3d95de9c42:g:iBsAAOSwePtdGQmi

What I'd like to know, is that if they're doing all of Don Lawrence's artwork, are they going to do the others.

We also had artwork by Ron Embleton (who I believe did some Dan Dare), Oliver Frey, Gerry Wood and Phillip Corke.  That's still a substantial portion and I'd be interested in them.  I understand why the DON LAWRENCE collection wouldn't do them for obvious reasons. :)
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tjm86

Chris Weston's cover for the first volume is a thing of beauty.  I would love it if that was the cover for the hardback and included a print.

Hell, if Rebellion did a print of it I would pay cold hard cash for it.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Jade Falcon

Better than most of the covers on my limited editions, but I'd still like to know if the post Don Lawrence material will be done
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tjm86

Turns out this will be for the FP limited edition.   :'(

Dear Rebellion, please can we have these a set of prints?

Timothy

TordelBack

Weston is unbelievably good at this. Someone - possibly Kek-W, but I'm not fussy - needs to reboot Trigan Empire and install Chris as permanent artist. I've my subs money right here.

My fave is the cover with Trigo, Peric and Janno. Drool.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 November, 2019, 11:47:04 PM
My fave is the cover with Trigo, Peric and Janno. Drool.

Which one, there are two covers with Trigo, Peric and Janno?

TordelBack