Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

I seriously think Marcus Rashford might be my favourite Politician.

Professor Bear

The petition to end free food and drink for all MPs has reached a quarter of a million signatures in less than a day.

Rately

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 October, 2020, 03:05:21 PM
The petition to end free food and drink for all MPs has reached a quarter of a million signatures in less than a day.

I would say it is great to see him shame these Politicians, but most of them don't have the empathy required.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Rately on 23 October, 2020, 02:29:12 PM

If you look at Marcus Rashford's Twitter feed, it is a joyous list of all the councils, businesses, organisations and charities sticking two fingers up at the Tory scum, and working together to get as many kids fed as possible!

Rately

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 October, 2020, 10:43:26 AM
Quote from: Rately on 23 October, 2020, 02:29:12 PM

If you look at Marcus Rashford's Twitter feed, it is a joyous list of all the councils, businesses, organisations and charities sticking two fingers up at the Tory scum, and working together to get as many kids fed as possible!

I think he deserves a Knighthood, which he should promptly tell them to stuff up their arses. The whole lot of them are a disgrace.

The inevitable backlash that the right-wing press launch against him, dog whistling in whatever form, hopefully is seen through for what it is by the majority of decent people.

Tory Scum the lot of them.

The Legendary Shark

Weird how MPs are trusted to rule the country and yet simultaneously not worth feeding out of the public purse.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

All those that voted against extending free school meals across the holidays?

Check out their expenses:

http://mpsagainstfreeschoolmeals.com/

Rately

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 October, 2020, 12:48:32 PM
All those that voted against extending free school meals across the holidays?

Check out their expenses:

http://mpsagainstfreeschoolmeals.com/

Literally can't fathom how you deny children food? That anybody has a problem with Marcus Rashford, and not this despicable Government and their enablers just makes me more miserable in the knowledge that there are people who can be so cruel and heartless.

If you vote Tory, vote with them, enable them in any way you are not worth spitting on.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Apparently, the DUP, who oppose gay rights and women's rights, draw the line at letting children go hungry. Considering this vote only affected English children, it is quite remarkable and I think the DUP deserve some credit for doing the right thing for once. 2020 has been a quare year.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Things are fairly fecked up when Arlene Foster and Nigel Farage have the moral high ground on an issue.  You can't really accuse those two of virtue signalling; they have precious few virtues to signal.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Looking at the voting record, only one DUP vote was cast, and so I won't be giving them that much credit. Had they all thrown their lot in with Labour, that would have been more impressive. I suppose at least they were smart enough to let the Tories own this one alone.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 October, 2020, 12:11:07 PM

Weird how MPs are trusted to rule the country and yet simultaneously not worth feeding out of the public purse.

TBH Sharky, like you I wouldn't trust them to run a tin bath.  Too many of them are a walking advertisement for your political views.

IndigoPrime

What worries me now is how often I'm seeing people argue they're all the same, when that's demonstrably not the case. Elections are often won not by people voting, but through people not voting. If we hit 2024 and have a lot of people still banging on that Starmer is a 'blue Tory, like Blair', genuinely not seeing the massive gulf between the Blair and Johnson governments, then we are truly fucked. (And I say this as someone with deep problems with several decisions Blair and his cabinet made.)

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 October, 2020, 03:47:30 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 October, 2020, 12:11:07 PM

TBH Sharky, like you I wouldn't trust them to run a tin bath.  Too many of them are a walking advertisement for your political views.

For me, it's not the people - they're just flawed humans like the rest of us - it's the powers we allow them to have over us. I don't think there will ever be, indeed, I don't think there can be, a truly "good" MP or PM. That's why all I want is to have my right to say "no" to them respected. That way, it doesn't matter how flawed our "representatives" are.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 October, 2020, 03:31:33 PM
Looking at the voting record, only one DUP vote was cast, and so I won't be giving them that much credit. Had they all thrown their lot in with Labour, that would have been more impressive. I suppose at least they were smart enough to let the Tories own this one alone.

Fair point. It's easy to ride the public opinion bandwagon after the public have already spoken.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"