Main Menu

What happen to the new dredd movie ?

Started by Disate, 21 August, 2009, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

when is the new movie going into production  ?

?
6 (26.1%)
??
17 (73.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Radbacker

didn't Disney have the rights for animated DRedd at some time or another or did I just hear that wrong?

CU Radbacker

Colin YNWA

Well Tharg mentioned it in a response to a letter I've just read, well actually it might have been during those Vector 13 issues (why oh why so limiting but I digress) its was defo stated somewhere in issues 1020 or 1030ish in 1997. Not sure what's changed since then?

IndigoPrime

What's changed: Disney had the option, and now it doesn't.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 September, 2009, 10:54:25 AM
What's changed: Disney had the option, and now it doesn't.

Oh, is that what I found down the back of the sofa the other week? Bloody careless of Disney, if you ask me.

Right! To eBay it is, then!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

I'm faintly disturbed by how many of you ran with my throwaway comment.  But also proud.  You guys are great.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Skullgrin140

Has any production even taken a step in the remake? Because I'm starting to think that this film will never happen at the rate its going.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Skullgrin140 on 03 September, 2009, 12:44:31 AM
Has any production even taken a step in the remake? Because I'm starting to think that this film will never happen at the rate its going.

It's all about money now I'd say, a draft script or more has been written and if that gets approval from the money men, I'd say the logistics and cost are what it will be mostly about. It's a long way away, if ever.

planetoid

QuoteIt's all about money now I'd say, a draft script or more has been written and if that gets approval from the money men, I'd say the logistics and cost are what it will be mostly about. It's a long way away, if ever.

I think the scale of Dredd is the insoluble problem. How do you make a Dredd film which lives up to the scale we see in the comic? I can't see how this problem can ever be solved. Can any Dredd script be written in such a way to accomodate a small to medium size budget or does a Dredd film necessitate a huge budget? As I say, I'm not sure this problem can ever be resolved.

Mega-City 1 - home to four hundred million perps, stretching across most of the eastern seaboard of the US, a huge nightmare city of the future with super-cops on giant motorbikes upholding a neo-fascist rule of law. Can this be achieved with a budget comparable to DNA's last sci-fi film, Sunshine (Box Office Mojo state its budget was 40 million dollars). It's a huge challenge for Rebellion. When you think of the potential cost and scale of a Dredd film it's actually a bit mind-boggling. And you've also got the problem of the hero NEVER showing his face!

Disate

Quote from: planetoid on 03 September, 2009, 01:52:29 AM
QuoteIt's all about money now I'd say, a draft script or more has been written and if that gets approval from the money men, I'd say the logistics and cost are what it will be mostly about. It's a long way away, if ever.

I think the scale of Dredd is the insoluble problem. How do you make a Dredd film which lives up to the scale we see in the comic? I can't see how this problem can ever be solved. Can any Dredd script be written in such a way to accomodate a small to medium size budget or does a Dredd film necessitate a huge budget? As I say, I'm not sure this problem can ever be resolved.

It can be done , just look a district 9 , the trick is to find a great director

and great special effects shop .

planetoid

QuoteIt can be done , just look a district 9 , the trick is to find a great director and great special effects shop .

Yeah, I see your point but the big difference is District 9 was filmed in a real location in South Africa, Mega-City 1 doesn't exist anywhere in the world so it has to be built or created using CGI and that must necessitate a reasonably large budget.

However, it's possible you could use London's city docklands for some exterior shots - this photo is rather large:

http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/places-and-sights/_more2004/_more01/England-London-Docklands-view-from-Bank-Street-including-Canary-Wharf-Tube-entrance-1-Canada-Water-and-Citigroup-and-HSBC-towers-DHD.jpg

You could film on the streets and it should create the illusion of a futuristic city. Rebellion and DNA would need to be granted permission to film in Docklands but it could be one way to recreate MC-1 on film.  :) If Rebellion and DNA do get the money to make the film I think it may be worthwhile to visit Docklands and see if it has any potential.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: planetoid on 03 September, 2009, 10:02:23 AMIf Rebellion and DNA do get the money to make the film I think it may be worthwhile to visit Docklands and see if it has any potential.

You've clearly given this a lot of thought ...

Cheers

Jim

planetoid

QuoteYou've clearly given this a lot of thought ...

I'm just thinking of real locations that might double for Mega-City 1.  London's docklands - smaller photos:

You could film in the bottom left of the above image and it could double for a MC-1 street or plaza.

You could alter this type of scene in post production, change the colours to make it more atmospheric, add some more blocks in the background, add lens flare, a red skyline. This would require some CGI cost but wouldn't be as expensive or time consuming as creating endless blocks from scratch and compositing actors onto the scenes. It's possible London docklands could be used as real locations for MC-1 and help keep the budget done. If a place in the UK actually looks a little bit futuristic it would seem prudent to consider its potential.

Jim_Campbell

Wasn't a chunk of Batman Begins shot around Docklands?

Cheers

Jim

planetoid

QuoteConveniently for the filmmakers, Bruce Wayne, in debauched playboy mode, bumps into Rachel Dawes (Katie Holmes) in Terence Conran's restaurant Plateau, on the fourth floor of Canada Place, Canada Square, in the same complex. As you can see from the film, it's a designer restaurant with great views over Canary Wharf.

Batman Begins location: Bruce Wayne arrives at the 'Gotham City' restaurant: CityPoint, Ropemaker Street, London EC2

The exterior of the restaurant, by the way, isn't Docklands at all, but CityPoint, Ropemaker Street near Moorgate. The same striking 'eyelid' entrance also stands in for Docklands as the quarantined area in 28 Weeks Later... This is also where Woody Allen and Scarlett Johansson spy on Hugh Jackman in Scoop.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/b/batmanbegins.html

I think you could film Dredd leaving a block and actually film a close up of the actor leaving a Docklands building. That would look convincing.

TordelBack

For 'real' MC-1 locations, I've always fancied Futuroscope, near Poitiers, France.  It's an amazing place for a visit.

QuoteI think you could film Dredd leaving a block and actually film a close up of the actor leaving a Docklands building. That would look convincing.

This was done at Dublin's Civic Offices for the movie Space Truckers.  It was awful.