Main Menu

Borag Thungg fellow 2000ADers

Started by planetmirth, 20 October, 2009, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amberkraken

worldshown

Welcome Planetmirth. Nice animations, that cyclops one was particularly effective.

Now that you've adressed the biscuit issue on this forum, there is one other important matter to be settled.

Without searching for previous answers, does a monkey in a fez count as a monkey in a hat?

SuperSurfer

Quote from: planetmirth on 22 October, 2009, 08:16:58 PM
Have you still got your free "Space Spinner"?
I had it for years but my kid brother tore off the middle section so I think it got binned. As for my biotronic stickers, they are still up in a frame on the wall in my old bedroom at my Mum's house.

planetmirth

Thank you amberkraken.

Cheers worldshown thanks for checking out my channel. I still haven't got around to doing my improved cyclops yet, but one day  ;)

As for the monkey question, I'd have to say "yes!" A fez is a hat - albeit one that should only be worn for comic effect, therefore I'd have to say that a monkey wearing said headgear would indeed count as a monkey in a hat. I just hope he either intends doing magic in a humorous deadpan style, or appearing in the next Aladdin animated movie as a comedy sidekick.

So just whom have I offended by this answer? I take it that it's a controversial issue.

DOH! SuperSurfer, Are you now an only child, or were you OK about it?
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

Dandontdare

Quote from: planetmirth on 23 October, 2009, 07:14:29 PM
a monkey wearing said headgear would indeed count as a monkey in a hat.

ooooh - wrong answer. I'm afraid you will forever be a pariah on this board!

Remember - anything that includes a monkey in a hat is automatically 200% funnier, but this does NOT extend to a monkey in a fez, as that would just be silly.

Shame on you!

planetmirth

Sorry about that Dantontdare, I'll get my bell and start ringing.  :-[

Though in my defense I'd have to say silly can be very funny. I've just rewatched the part in the Simpsons movie where Homer holds a pig to the ceiling and sings "SpiderPig". Doesn't get much sillier than that - but I still laughed  ;D

And "The Life of Brian" - one of my favourite films - is nothing but silly. So if the debate comes down to, "is silly funny?" then I demand a recount!! ;D

I've got the bell, but I'll hold off ringing until the votes have been counted and verified.  ;)
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

Colin MacNeil

Borag thungg to you Planetmirth, welcome to the board. Glad to see another prog one-er here. Makes me feel not so old after all. :D

mogzilla

Quote from: planetmirth on 22 October, 2009, 02:43:41 PM
Thanks Proudhuff,

I'm easy, but a chocolate covered hob nob would be nice - if for no other reason than to remind me of the Peter Kay "Dunking" stand-up routine ;D

hob nobs are crap at dunking...i work with nurses and it is LAW in our office that the kettle is always on and biscuits are on tap...that kay fella might be a fellow northerner but he talks crap when it comes to biccies....gingernuts all the was baby!

SuperSurfer

Quote from: planetmirth on 23 October, 2009, 07:14:29 PM
DOH! SuperSurfer, Are you now an only child, or were you OK about it?

Oh, little brother lived to tell the tale that he tore my space spinner to shreds. It didn't get to me too much as I was in my late teens/early twenties and I was having a break from too much nerdism. How about you? Have you still got your space spinner, biotronic stickers or red alert wallet?

planetmirth

QuoteGlad to see another prog one-er here. Makes me feel not so old after all.

Thanks Colin. I was of course minus 7 when I started reading - so I'm still relatively young  ;)

Quotethat kay fella might be a fellow northerner but he talks crap when it comes to biccies

I can't believe that Kayster fed me bum information!! I'm away to buy a packet of gingernuts now. Thanks for the clarfication mogzilla.

QuoteOh, little brother lived to tell the tale that he tore my space spinner to shreds.

That's a relief SuperSurfer:)

QuoteHow about you? Have you still got your space spinner, biotronic stickers or red alert wallet?

They are all hopefully still up in the roofspace. I had all my progs out last year and went through every last one, gathering research for an idea I had to do a series of 3D cutaway illustrations of a Street Judges uniform/equipment - similar to the Star Wars ones that are available. Apart from that, they don't get out much.
Visual Effects Examples

Bouwel

Quotean idea I had to do a series of 3D cutaway illustrations of a Street Judges uniform/equipment - similar to the Star Wars ones that are available

Please, please do this now!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

planetmirth

Hi Bouwel,

Do you think it would be popular? I gave up on the idea because doing anything in 3D takes forever and I didn't want to spend a few weeks lovingly modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering only to be told that it was of no interest to people.

I originally intended suggesting that it could be done like the good old days, when every so often you got a technical drawing or collectible poster i.e. I could do a page on the lawgiver, a page on the boots etc. that could appear whenever there wasn't a decent Input page for example. Eventually the whole series could be bound in one must have compendium.

I even thought it would have the extra benefit for artists in that I could also render out a Quicktime VR of say the Lawmaster, which would allow artists to have a visual reference of the bike that could be viewed from any angle.

Not only that, but once I had the full Judge modeled, it would be a short step to being able to do animations.

Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I still think it has potential.

I guess here is the perfect forum to gauge whether or not such a project has merit. If enough people here think it's worth pursuing, then I might just dust off all my back progs one more time  ;)
Visual Effects Examples

Dandontdare

Mike Carroll does some amazing 3D modelling - I think the reactions to his stuff on this thread should answer your question as to whether it'd be popular around here!

Mike Gloady

I think that those are pretty good ideas, PM.  If you've got the time and inclination, you'll find a welcome nad appreciative audience here.  And lots of geeky nitpicking afterwards to tell you how it could be improved (such is life!).

I know that I would get a real kick out of it.  

My 3D skills are awful, but I considered building a helmet, lawgiver, lawmaster model myself for scale and getting things like perspective right (in the real world you get real objects to sit and draw and it's entirely the same principal).  I only abandoned the idea because I don't really have the design chops or 3D skills, let alone the interest in spending that much time on it.  But to see someone else's half-decent crack would be dead cool.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dandontdare

Just been checking a few links on your site Planetmirth - that cityscape animation is fantastic, and the Cyclops one gave me the wiggins!