Main Menu

First mention of Quaxxann

Started by andygb, 12 October, 2002, 12:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andygb

Does anyone know which issue first mentioned Quaxxann as it was me that won the compo to name the planet Tharg came from? I would love to get a copy of the issue that said I had won the compo.

Leigh S

I've done a little bit of digging-  unless of missed it, its not in  progs 1 to 73.  The only mention of Thargs home planet is when he talks of the "singing mountains of betelgeuse".

Presumably, someone then pulled him up about Betelgeuse being a star, and the competition was born - so its somewhere after prog 73... I may well resume my search later....

paulvonscott

Oh I'd love a bumper (and complete) book of Tharg tales (and associated nonsense - phrasebooks etc.)

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, a book of Tharg! I'd buy that. Maybe with a 'best of' section that reprints his greatest welcoming messages.

I nominate that one from the early 700's where he warned people that any raves using his image weren't officially recommended.

andygb

Thanks for looking for me it is greatly appreciated. I looked at this weeks prog today and very nearly bought it. It would have been the first one I'd bought since at least the early 80's but decided to wait til next week.

Leigh S

Bit more "research" - Tharg calls his planet of origin Betelguese 6 in prog 127, so I expect it will only be a matter of progs before some bright spark picks him up on this....

Leigh S

Success!

The competition was announced in prog 153:

Thargs Mini-contest
Although all earth knows I hail from Betelgeuses sixth planet, I have never told you my homeworlds Thargian name.  I offer a ?10 prize to the first earthlet to guess my planet's name correctly, with smaller prizes for near misses.  A clue: it contains between 5 and 10 letters and starts with Q.

The first mention of Quaxxann after that I've found is prog 170s nerve centre, though I might have missed something inbetween -  hope this helps.

andygb

Thanks alot for that at least it gives me a starting point to look from.

karne

By an astounding coincidence I've just been re-reading the very batch of progs concerned (new VC's, Pah!)the actual prog you are looking for is 159 dated 5th April 1980 with a nice cover pic showing Dredd battling the gargage God's armies. Happy prog hunting.