Main Menu

photobucket shot itself in the foot

Started by sheridan, 30 June, 2017, 04:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Photobucket has changed its policies, and so images linked from forums such as this one now show the following text:
"Look who's popular. Is this your photo? Upgrade to Plus 500 for 3rd Party Hosting. photobucket"

Mods - feel free to move this post to a more appropriate sub-forum.

SuperSurfer

I need to look into that. I checked out one of my old posts on this forum and I see an image I uploaded to Photobucket is still showing.

Been looking for an alternative as I've found Photobucket a right pain. But then again I shouldn't complain too much as I've been using it as a free service. I thought it was my ancient (in computer years) 11-year-old Mac struggling but I've read plenty of complaints from others.

Many an unentered last minute art comp drawing was (unfairly) blamed by me on Photobucket for going screwy when I was trying to upload in a mad panic. Happened once or ten times.

The Adventurer

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 30 June, 2017, 05:46:37 PM
I need to look into that. I checked out one of my old posts on this forum and I see an image I uploaded to Photobucket is still showing.

Been looking for an alternative as I've found Photobucket a right pain. But then again I shouldn't complain too much as I've been using it as a free service. I thought it was my ancient (in computer years) 11-year-old Mac struggling but I've read plenty of complaints from others.

Many an unentered last minute art comp drawing was (unfairly) blamed by me on Photobucket for going screwy when I was trying to upload in a mad panic. Happened once or ten times.

Its not free, but I pay $4 a month for Image Shack. And that continues to do me right.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

I ditched PB when it started begging me to disable my anti-malware protections so it could spam me with advertising.  No problems with Imgbb so far.

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 30 June, 2017, 05:46:37 PM

I read a similar thread on an RPG forum I sometimes frequent (which I nicked the subject from) and almost immediately after saw the image photobucket replacement on a thread on this forum.  It's possible you're viewing a cache of an image you've previously seen.  Could be other explanations as well.

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2017, 04:56:18 PM
images linked from forums such as this one now show the following text:
"Look who's popular. Is this your photo? Upgrade to Plus 500 for 3rd Party Hosting. photobucket"

Quote from: Professor Bear on 30 June, 2017, 05:57:34 PM
I ditched PB when it started begging me to disable my anti-malware protections so it could spam me with advertising.

It's the only hosting site I've used for the past 9 years (pretty much entirelty for posting pics on here) and I've never experienced either of the above

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 June, 2017, 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2017, 04:56:18 PM
images linked from forums such as this one now show the following text:

Quote from: Professor Bear on 30 June, 2017, 05:57:34 PM
I ditched PB when it started begging me to disable my anti-malware protections so it could spam me with advertising.

It's the only hosting site I've used for the past 9 years (pretty much entirelty for posting pics on here) and I've never experienced either of the above

The new limit has only just come in, so you wouldn't have experienced it before now.  example on this forum

Dandontdare

hmm, see what you mean. Have you found out what "updating your account" entails?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 July, 2017, 06:43:44 PM
hmm, see what you mean. Have you found out what "updating your account" entails?

Paying them money, if the email I got about it is any indication. Fuck, as they say, that for a game of soldiers.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Can't find the thread that I acquired the title of this thread from, as I think it got merged with this thread on rpg.net.

Dandontdare

yeah, this is really going down like a shit sandwich: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

So many old art comps in the archive are full of holes  :(

Professor Bear

A reasonably small charge could be defended, but 400 dollars a year?  If that's defensible, then some service providers are about to cash in big.

/buys exclusive patent rights for AIDS medication and raises market price by 4000%

SuperSurfer

I find it odd that they don't show the payment plans on their sign up page. As a newcomer I would rather see the options more clearly before I sign up.

I see some Photobucket hosted images on old art comps are still alive and kicking.