Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

James Stacey

I'm liking that you used freak search :)

COMMANDO FORCES

Dear God, it's quite sad really.
Now that's what you get with care in the community!

Goaty

Found his reply on the news of Director Forced off;

If this is genuine - major (if shocking) news

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22037/-dredd-director-forced-off-production

This means the film is in major trouble. Huge creative differences similar to the 1995 film.

"Those in charge of the production apparently "did not see eye-to-eye on footage Travis was delivering".

I'm not going to gloat because I love Judge Dredd but it's people making a film with no clear vision. It's sad. I wish Rebellion had never allowed Garland's bland screenplay to have been used. Talk about uninspired. I guess the problems with the film do stem back to the screenplay and Travis wanting to stick to it or to change it and DNA and Rebellion not sure if his approach is right.

Whatever the reason the film will most likely be crappy and underperform at the box office. It's a great pity because a proper Judge Dredd film - one that embraces the material and is not embarrassed by it (and it's clear DNA Films is embarrassed by the comic character hence the changes to the uniform, removing the word Judge from the title) could be incredibl

. Sadly, Dredd is not going to be incredible. It may not even end up being mediocre.

Rebellion should have given my screenplays a chance. They were more faithful in spirit than Garland's generic Die Hard in a MC-1 block storyline. Jock emailed me not that long ago, we had a chat, and I reckon he would have been happy to have storyboarded a section of it (for a moderate fee, of course) had Rebellion given my screenplays a chance. Anyway, never mind. It wasn't to be. But it's sad to see another Judge Dredd film being ruined by people with no clear vision. Ultimately it comes down to that - a clear vision. Without that clear vision the film will end up a mess. And that seems to the case with Dredd 2012.

:(

scojo

radiator

Good on Empire for not reporting this until they actually HAD something to report. They've gone up in my estimations. Sad though how every two-bit blog that regurgitated the original rumours exaggerated it yet further.

Does kinda make you wonder why the producers didn't deny the story when the LA Times asked for a comment, though...

It's worth remembering that a movie set is a place of work, and as such there are bound to be all the usual office politics and petty disputes, sounds to me like this is one such situation that got a bit out of hand and became blown out of proportion. As others have said, it sounds like this 'story' was 'leaked' by a disgruntled crew member who has their own axe to grind.

A few years ago, my girlfriend worked on the set of an animated film which had a similar budget to Dredd. The film was made in similarly unorthodox fashion - apparently the director wasn't on-set all of the time, and often essentially directed the it from abroad, tracking progress at the set online. Needless to say, there were those among the crew who had gripes about this, leading to a senior crew member shooting his mouth off in the press. It caused a bit of a stink, but at the end of the day, the film turned out to be great and showed no signs of being a 'troubled' production.

Spaceghost

Quote from: radiator on 11 October, 2011, 10:30:19 AM
it sounds like this 'story' was 'leaked' by a disgruntled crew member who has their own axe to grind.

Erm, that sounds like someone we know...

Just kidding Michael  :lol:
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Goaty

It's sad that someone like that!

Fuzzed

Does kinda make you wonder why the producers didn't deny the story when the LA Times asked for a comment, though...

It was basically just a day or so, you know, despite how it seemed like forever to us who were on tenterhooks.

And frankly, once a rumour's out, no amount of denial can really shut it down. As we're seeing now. And the darker the rumour, the more staying power it seems to have.

The leakers don't even have to have malicious intent. Some people get a kick out of thinking they're in the know, even if they're fringe at best, and the thought of being 'sourced' on an major paper probably gave them happy times. Asses.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even care anymore about how good it is. I think I'm all anxioused out. Just the fact I can look forward to seeing a Dredd on the big screen next year is the happy I'm determined to cling to for dear life.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Lee Bates on 11 October, 2011, 10:39:13 AM
it sounds like this 'story' was 'leaked' by a disgruntled crew member who has their own axe to grind.

Erm, that sounds like someone we know...

Just kidding Michael  :lol:

Psh..   ::)
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

I saw this comment over on Slashfilm - I pretty agree with this guy's take on the situation.

QuoteMy totally unfounded guess at what's happening:
This is Producer/Screenwriter Garland's baby, and he hired Pete Travis to shoot it since he hadn't directed a movie before. He wrote the script, he's the shot caller in the editing room.
There, not so complex right?

Steve Green

Radiator - Fantastic Mr Fox?

Michaelvk

Quote from: radiator on 11 October, 2011, 11:54:25 AM
I saw this comment over on Slashfilm - I pretty agree with this guy's take on the situation.

This is Producer/Screenwriter Garland's baby, and he hired Pete Travis to shoot it since he hadn't directed a movie before. He wrote the script, he's the shot caller in the editing room.

+1 on that one..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

clavell

Quote from: Goaty on 11 October, 2011, 10:28:40 AM
Rebellion should have given my screenplays a chance. They were more faithful in spirit than Garland's generic Die Hard in a MC-1 block storyline. Jock emailed me not that long ago, we had a chat, and I reckon he would have been happy to have storyboarded a section of it (for a moderate fee, of course) had Rebellion given my screenplays a chance. Anyway, never mind. It wasn't to be. But it's sad to see another Judge Dredd film being ruined by people with no clear vision. Ultimately it comes down to that - a clear vision. Without that clear vision the film will end up a mess. And that seems to the case with Dredd 2012.

:(

scojo

I'd like to read that script of his. Anyone have a copy ?

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Michaelvk on 11 October, 2011, 12:04:37 PM

+1 on that one..

That sounds about right to me. I'm just happy there's somebody on the project that  has a clear vision of how the movie should be made.

Fuzzed

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 11 October, 2011, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 11 October, 2011, 12:04:37 PM

+1 on that one..

That sounds about right to me. I'm just happy there's somebody on the project that  has a clear vision of how the movie should be made.

+2 and ditto.