Main Menu

Judge Dredd - The Complete Case Files 35

Started by broodblik, 17 May, 2020, 11:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

This collection of Dredd stories is a period where I completely forgot about the existence of 2000AD and all its wonders. This was for me one of the better recent collection (or case files).  This covers prog 1276 to 1301 and The Meg 4.07 to 4.13

This compilation also proves yet again what a great (awesome, excellent etc.) writer John Wagner is. He can write the long game and the short game very effectively. He can write deep stories but also a story with touch of comedy (or a satire).

The highlights:

First Blood – Here we are introduced to a new villain which best Dredd but as we all know Dredd will get his main. The villain will surely return but as we all know Dredd will be the winner (do anyone know when the villain returned in the prog?).  The story is by Alan Grant and the art is the beautiful painted by John Burns.

Leaving Rowdy – This story is where Dredd gives-up his apartment for Rico. Now what makes this story special is that the art is done by Dredd maestro Carlos Ezquerra. The worse part for me is that I realized that this is one of his last works that I have not seen he has done, and we will never experience new work from this great man.  And yes, the story is great as well masterfully told as always by John Wagner.

It is Déjà vu all over Again Again – This is one of the funniest and stupidest Dredd stories I have read. The basic premise is that a group of Morons from the Moronian Sect are trying too takeover a Hottie House takeaway to negotiate the release of their members held in captivity. The art is done by one of my favorite artist Cam Kennedy and John Wagner is again providing the script.

Block Courts – Again we have Cam on pictures and John on words. This is a great one-shot where Dredd is on Block Court duty. 

Sin City – If you are looking for one reason why you must get this volume then this is the story. It is for me very much a story that is the forerunner for Chaos Day but on a smaller scale. John Wagner provides the script in this 11-part story. Art is done by the excellent Kev Walker. It is just a same that we do not see his work in the prog/meg anymore. Sin City, a mobile entertainments platform had hitched up within Mega-City waters. A detachment of Mega-City judges had been sent to investigate the disappearance of a spy, under pretence of policing the city. Orlok is one of the main villains in the story.

Blood and Duty – This is one John Wagner's more emotional stories staring Dredd's niece Vienna. Colin MacNeil is on art duties here; and this is something I really missed about his current art and it is his ability to do his own colouring (or rather paint his work).

Citizen Sump – I always wondered what happened to Otto Sump and this is the story on his last days in the great Meg. This is again a wonderful story by John Wagner and some great art by John Higgins.

My verdict 5/5

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 17 May, 2020, 11:04:29 AM
First Blood – Here we are introduced to a new villain which best Dredd but as we all know Dredd will get his main. The villain will surely return but as we all know Dredd will be the winner (do anyone know when the villain returned in the prog?).  The story is by Alan Grant and the art is the beautiful painted by John Burns.

The Crystal Skull makes good on his threat in Master of Fear, progs 1375-1377.
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Thank you Jimbo, I actually have those progs digitally but memory is a little fuzzy sometimes
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.