Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Odeon- booked online as well to knock a further 10% off and rack up 'points' towards free tickets along the path. At the one near in lovely West Bromwich it cost me approx 6.75 a head.

As for the fillum itself- loved it to bits. I'm a happy consumer of Star-wars and I'm quite enjoying wading through Rebels as and when I can catch episodes.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 June, 2018, 08:54:22 AM
Oh my brothers, I can hardly breathe for dry heaving guffaws. Just reading anti-Disney "fans" waxing rapturous over Lucas interview nugget where he reveals his version of the ST would have been "microbiotic",  i.e. about midichlorians. Apparently, this would have been FAR superior to TLJ, much revisionist chin-stroking reveals. Ignoring the fact that the PT would have done more with midichlorians if 'fan' outrage hadn't made them a popular synonym for childhood-r***ng, and overlooking that YOU'RE THE REASON LUCAS SOLD UP, MOOF-MILKERS.

Just read the two brief Lucas quotes.  His assertion that his Episodes VII - IX would have finished Star Wars forever is right in more ways than he probably intended.

I sort of wish he'd made them.

SIP

Quote from: Frank on 14 June, 2018, 05:42:01 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 13 June, 2018, 08:54:22 AM
Oh my brothers, I can hardly breathe for dry heaving guffaws. Just reading anti-Disney "fans" waxing rapturous over Lucas interview nugget where he reveals his version of the ST would have been "microbiotic",  i.e. about midichlorians. Apparently, this would have been FAR superior to TLJ, much revisionist chin-stroking reveals. Ignoring the fact that the PT would have done more with midichlorians if 'fan' outrage hadn't made them a popular synonym for childhood-r***ng, and overlooking that YOU'RE THE REASON LUCAS SOLD UP, MOOF-MILKERS.

Just read the two brief Lucas quotes.  His assertion that his Episodes VII - IX would have finished Star Wars forever is right in more ways than he probably intended.

I sort of wish he'd made them.

To be fair, the episodes of VII-IX that they have/will put out may well have finished them too!

TordelBack

In an act of madness I sneaked in a second viewing of Solo between work (just round the corner from the IMAX, how could I resist!) and seeing Jurassic World with the kids. Was secretly delighted to find that my son was in a snot with me when he found out I'd gone without him - he apparently prefers it to Rogue One, as, it turns out, do I.

This time the screen was superb, the cinema was air conditioned, and the seating comfy. Phew.  The film is dark and washed-out, but with a proper projector you can still see everything, and it becomes clear as an artistic choice at best, a late-comers compromise at worst: an entirely different experience to the eye-straining murk UCI Tallaght inflicted on me. I could even tell which scenes were on which planets (had no idea we met Lando and Dryden on the same planet as the train heist...), and that Solo already had his chin scar, whereas I spent my first viewing waiting for him to get it...

And I still enjoyed it!  Quite a lot!  This time I tried hard to see the seams between Lord & Miller and Howard, but sheesh is it tricky.  My feeling is that the smaller-scale set-based pieces, like the claustrophobic Mimban battlefield, or the Kessel corridors and (definitely) Dryden's yacht interiors, even a lot of the general cockpit stuff, might be all Howard's, as it all seems visually tighter and more formally scripted, and many of the characters we see there we never see elsewhere. That leaves the expansive outdoor shots, a lot of the Vandor/cantina stuff and probably all of Corellia, in L&M's hands.  But honestly, it flows really well: none of the patchwork mish-mash you get in Rogue One or (shudder) Justice League.

Sadly Clarke is still flat as a pancake throughout, for some reason I felt she seemed to think she was in an instant coffee commercial, but Quira is an interesting enough character that it sort of evens out.  Bettany and Newton however are just superb, head and shoulders above the rest: Dryden is a really great baddie, and I'm more convinced than ever that his facial scars (and signature double blades) are either a sign of respect, or an actual badge of a Capo in [spoiler]Maul's[/spoiler] Crimson Dawn: an extension of the branding process. Dryden's spaceship is the design highlight of the movie, I love it. And I've really warmed to Beckett as a character, very much his film.

So for an entirely unnecessary film, this turned out to be quite a lot of fun. 

shaolin_monkey

Yay!!!

It definitely is a fun film!

I actually thought Clarke upped her game for this film, compared to her very wooden performances in GoT.

Keef Monkey

I really, really liked it and look forward to watching again. I found the same issue with it being very dark and murky but assumed I just got a dodgy screen, but seems everyone is finding the same thing. It was akin to watching a 3D movie with specs on at times, just really dim where it seemed like a bright popping visual palette would have suited the feel of the film a lot more.

That aside though, another great Star Wars movie for me. Not sure where I'd sit it on my rankings alongside the mainline episodes but definitely wasn't up there with Rogue One for me, although that's not as damning as it sounds because I genuinely think I like Rogue One the most out of the post-Disney buy movies.

Mardroid

I found the darkness and contrast an issue during a lot of the Correlia stuff. I could make it or but it was a chore. I'm not sure if the latter scenes were as bad or my mind had just accommodated at that point. (Probably was better There were more day scenes, although the train sequence was quite murky.)

Jim_Campbell

Strange. I saw Solo in 3D, which people often complain is too dark to begin with, and I didn't think the film was at all over-gloomy...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

An aspect that hadn't really struck me before is the degree of connivance between the Empire and organised crime on show - something previously established by Vader's dealings with Fett in TESB. It seems like the Troopers on Corellia are doing Moloch's bidding at times (and taking bribes from scram-rats), Enfys Nest [spoiler]lumps the Empire in with Crimson Dawn as her enemies[/spoiler], and [spoiler]that Star Destroyer showing up so quickly at Kessel[/spoiler] makes more sense if they are actually working with the Pykes, rather than just appearing as soon as [spoiler]some droid shouts the word 'Rebellion'[/spoiler]. 

Clearly their interests should be somewhat at odds, what with [spoiler]Palpy's vengeful former apprentice pulling the strings of Crimson Dawn, and his minions raiding Imperial fuel supplies[/spoiler], but it's not like the Emperor has no history of false-flag operations.  Maybe universal corruption and debasement is Palpatine's aim after all, rather than mere dictatorial rule. 

TordelBack

Meant to add: seeing a Pyke (from the TCW cartoon) make the transition to live-action was pretty cool, as was seeing what was essentially the Rebels version of Kessel, and then there's you-know-who as well.  Lot of potential for fun now it's clear that the 'Tales' films at least are taking the cartoons fully on board.  Can a live-action Ahsoka in Obi-Wan be denied?

SIP

Do you think they'll proceed with any tales movies right now after this bombed? I'm wondering if Disney/Lucasfilm will wait on the box office from Episode 9 before they invest any further big money.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 15 June, 2018, 04:27:34 PM
Do you think they'll proceed with any tales movies right now after this bombed? I'm wondering if Disney/Lucasfilm will wait on the box office from Episode 9 before they invest any further big money.

They're already moving on Obi-Wan — I hear there's an art department in full swing doing concept stuff right now.

I'd be surprised if the studio looks at Solo as anything more than a bump in the road — after all, it's not a bad film by any measure. Re-shooting an alleged 70% of it will have ballooned the budget to the point where Disney/Lucasfilm will probably be happy if the thing breaks even somewhere down the line.

If they drop a couple of stinkers in a row then I think they might reappraise the strategy.

TordelBack

I'm guessing Solo will have a good long tail for Disney that might lessen the sting, it's a solid film that bears re-watching. My real regret is that there isn't going to be a direct sequel - things were only really getting going by the end!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 June, 2018, 06:14:49 PM
My real regret is that there isn't going to be a direct sequel - things were only really getting going by the end!

Agreed. I came out of Solo very much up for as many "Han and Chewie smuggle shit and get into scrapes with the Empire" movies as Disney/Lucasfilm want to make...

SIP

Yup, I wish I could see the sequel too. I'm still certain it's the fan boycott that really killed it though. They are already frothing at the mouth with "I can't wait to NOT see the next one" and stating "I've never looked forward to not seeing a film so much", so it will be genuinely interesting to see what business episode 9 gets. It's far enough away that it may die down a little......but going on the current ramblings, I'm thinking episode 9 will under perform last jedi significantly.

Figures I heard this week say last jedi only sold just over half of the blu rays that force awakens sold.......though I would like to see more official sales figures. On top of the large drop off rate for last jedi, it's 700 million less in box office than force awakens, and then solo reportedly losing 80 million.....you have to wonder what they will pour into star wars over the next 18 months. If it was my business, I'd be feeling jittery. The trend is down at the moment.