2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Richmond Clements

Andy_Lee

hippynumber1

If we're including plots, and tying in with another thread, I have a vague recollection (as most of them are these days) of our beloved weekly getting into some trouble for swiping the plot of an episode of 'The Twilight Zone'. Please correct me/fill in details as appropriate...

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 07 November, 2013, 06:26:51 PM
If we're including plots, and tying in with another thread, I have a vague recollection (as most of them are these days) of our beloved weekly getting into some trouble for swiping the plot of an episode of 'The Twilight Zone'. Please correct me/fill in details as appropriate...

Prog 302, 'The Pilgrim' (not actually a Future Shock) is very clearly 'A Hundred Yards Over the Rim', told in five pages without missing a thing.  It appears to be a 'first thing pulled out of the Emergency Drawer' to replace that week's episode of Rogue Trooper, probably because the Ewins droid overheating after having to come up with 22 panels on a single page in prog 301.

There's also one based very closely on Frederik Pohl's 'The Tunnel Under The World', albeit entirely rewritten.  And, of course, the one based on the Harry Harrison short story...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Skullmo

ming

Spam the thread, why don't you? ::)

Skullmo

That's not spam it's gold. GOLD!

JayzusB.Christ

Another blatant influence on Judge Fire.  Coincidence?  I don't think so

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ming

Yeah, well, just leave it at that and don't start on Judge Fish, okay? :lol:

M.I.K.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 November, 2013, 04:57:24 PM
QuoteThe Feek thing was inspired by a south/Central American statue I seem to recall.

Mictlantecuhtli, presumably...

Which I mentioned on John Wagner's facebook fan page this very afternoon, when he mentioned the Ace Garp-a-like.

JayzusB.Christ

If I may desperately try to rescue the thread:

There was a Grant Morrison Future Shock about a letter travelling through time and space, that was a near word-for-word swipe from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  The great, big, baldy, knighted old cheat
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Skullmo

That's not a rescue, it's a corner at best!

I always thought Ace was inspired by the impossible man http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ff176.jpg   But John Wagner said it was a Mask that they sent to Belardinelli for reference

o1s1n

This thread is brilliant, I really haven't come across any of these before. Particularly loving the prog 713 / Toni Shilleto connection. It was always one of my favourite covers when I was younger - now I know why!  :D