Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Since this thread has become a purging of sorts.

PURGE! by Bruce Bezaire & Jose Oritz. Not posting it here but the complete story is in Creepy #73 (1975):

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 07 November, 2013, 02:56:20 PM

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 November, 2013, 04:56:57 PM
If you've not all seen it there's a great (terrible) film version staring George Peppard (I think) and that bloke what was off of Airwolf (I think). It all there on Youtube and good heartly fun (nonsense)...

... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKYJdHe4xo

Its a right load of old crap really, but i do have a bit of a soft spot for it.
And i do keep meaning to track down a copy of the paperback, so thanks for the reminder guys!

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 November, 2013, 04:56:57 PM
If you've not all seen it there's a great (terrible) film version staring George Peppard (I think) and that bloke what was off of Airwolf (I think). It all there on Youtube and good heartly fun (nonsense)...
... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKYJdHe4xo
I remember seeing this in my school days on tv and the next day we were talking about how bad it was and how the wheels on their Landraider type vehicle were ridiculous. Just had a quick look at that link and strangely enough it seems very watchable. But still crap.

O Lucky Stevie!

Oh dear. It all comes down to personal taste but poor Eddie Jones was responsible for Little Stevie not reading  a whole swag of books.

Fortunately Sphere saw fit to issue another edition with a proper Chris Foss cover:

& what a cracking read it is too.

In no part due the fact that the whole thing plays out in your head drawn by McMahon & Bolland.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 November, 2013, 08:58:45 PM
PURGE! by Bruce Bezaire & Jose Oritz. Not posting it here but the complete story is in Creepy #73 (1975):

Lovely crisp scans there, Joe.  One can almost see the naughty-naughties in question.

O Lucky Stevie!

Ooo hello! This chap seems oddly familiar.

The phizog rings a bell...

...but just can't put a finger on the name...

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2013, 08:36:01 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 November, 2013, 08:58:45 PM

Lovely crisp scans there, Joe.  One can almost see the naughty-naughties in question.

Yeah, loving the unique style of Jose Ortiz - one of my fave artists from the early years.  Distinctive, detailed and full of character!

Dash Decent

Quote from: JamesC on 07 November, 2013, 03:42:37 PM
That's one crappy looking Land Raider.

It looks like the Little Engine that Could crossed with some metallic cockroaches.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

The thread isn't just popular here. You've made the 'headlines'

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/08/friday-runaround-from-2000ad-swipes-to-kickstarter-scammers/

Credit where its due though at least Rich Johnson is giving appropriate credit rather than just running the swipes as stuff he's come across... as he's been accused of before (maybe not with swipes but other stories... and maybe swipes I don't remember)

CrazyFoxMachine

Wait.... Bleeding Cool SWIPE their swipes?!

Kudos

Now, I don't have any images to share but this thread has raised a memory. When I was a kid I had a book called Spacecraft: 2000 to 2100 by Stuart Crowley.
The book came out in the late 70's  and was full of amazing spaceship art. I remember it fondly. I'm pretty sure that some of the ships featured have appeared in the pages of 2000AD; at the very least I remember several ships from the book appearing in the original run of the VCs - bothe Geek ships and the VC's own vehicle IIRC - and I'm pretty sure there were some others. Is anyone else familiar with this book?

ming

Quote from: Kudos on 08 November, 2013, 11:25:05 AMIs anyone else familiar with this book?

Read the post that started the thread...   :)

As for the VCs ship, I don't remember seeing that anywhere other than the Prog but if you dig something up, please post it here!

Kudos

Ah, I never made the "Terran Trade Authority" connection to the book I remember. It was a long time ago and I just remember it as a cool book full of spaceships. I'll have a look around the net for images now though.

shaolin_monkey

So has 2000AD ever been pulled up on this kind of stuff then?  Legally or otherwise?

I remember my indignance about the whole SOK!/Hardware thing, but now it seems the shoe is somewhat on the other foot, and may have been for quite some time!  :o ;)

JamesC

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 November, 2013, 12:59:45 PM
So has 2000AD ever been pulled up on this kind of stuff then?  Legally or otherwise?

I remember my indignance about the whole SOK!/Hardware thing, but now it seems the shoe is somewhat on the other foot, and may have been for quite some time!  :o ;)

I guess those Cursed Earth episodes count don't they?