Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: ming on 22 September, 2015, 08:27:43 AM
Out of curiosity, which things would you consider as swipes?  Is the Feek a homage?

Some of this is also artists being inspired - although I think in Belardinelli's case Tharg kept a tighter control on the design of the main characters because when left to his own devices Massimo would produce something utterly mad.  I seem to recall a story (admittedly, I can't remember where I remember it from!) about the original design for Battak in Blackhawk getting rejected for being too weird, which would explain why the final version was copied from the paperback cover further up the thread.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

The Scorpio gun itself very clearly a swipe of Han Solo's DL-44 heavy blaster, itself a disguised Mauser C96 (from 1896).

Dash Decent

I'm told the Scorpio clip guns also got reused in "The Two Ronnies" mini serial, "The Worm that Turned", so perhaps it was a lift from The Two Ronnies!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 September, 2015, 01:49:41 AM
I'm told the Scorpio clip guns also got reused in "The Two Ronnies" mini serial, "The Worm that Turned", so perhaps it was a lift from The Two Ronnies!

For some reason I find that obscure fact indecently cool... which is a little sad, but its GREAT!

sheridan

This one?

James Stacey

Is that Barbara Castle in the background?

Lobo Baggins

Unlikely, unfortunately - 'The Worm that Turned' was broadcast at the beginning of 1980, Blake's 7 series 4 didn't start production until 1981. But odder things have happened in 1980 - here's young Steve Dillon in Doctor Who Weekly BLATANTLY TRACING screengrabs of Jenna Coleman to play the part of Princess Taiyin!

I'm sure Tharg must have had a few choice words about such a blatant disregard for the laws of continuity!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Dash Decent

Quote from: James Stacey on 23 September, 2015, 01:08:21 PM

I don't know, I've never been to Barbara Castle. I've heard they've got a great little gift shop, though - much better than the one at Shirley's Temple.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 September, 2015, 01:31:34 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 23 September, 2015, 01:08:21 PM

I don't know, I've never been to Barbara Castle. I've heard they've got a great little gift shop, though - much better than the one at Shirley's Temple.

I've been to Vanessa Paradis, but I've never been to Meatloaf.

Dash Decent

You are Charlene and I claim my five galactic groats.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

TordelBack

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 September, 2015, 01:34:13 PM
Is that a stormtrooper rifle painted silver and modified a bit?

Or a Sterling SMG with some gubbins attached, and painted silver. So yes, a stormtrooper rifle.

I adored The Worm That Turned as a kid, and may even have taken it a bit seriously, but nothing topped the Phantom Raspberry Blower of London Town, which may have been the highpoint of my week at some point in the mid-70s. Does it make an appearance in From Hell: Dance of the Gull Catchers? I can't recall, but it definitely should.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 September, 2015, 07:23:08 AM

Or a Sterling SMG with some gubbins attached, and painted silver. So yes, a stormtrooper rifle.

I adored The Worm That Turned as a kid, and may even have taken it a bit seriously, but nothing topped the Phantom Raspberry Blower of London Town, which may have been the highpoint of my week at some point in the mid-70s. Does it make an appearance in From Hell: Dance of the Gull Catchers? I can't recall, but it definitely should.

I'm with Tordels.

I hated waiting through the sketches to get to the good of drama!
Lock up your spoons!

Dash Decent

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 September, 2015, 07:23:08 AM

Oh yes, definitely built up from a Sterling SMG as were the stormtrooper rifles.  What I meant was, for the Two Ronnies I assume the BBC bods grabbed something they already had on the shelf and modified it a bit, spraypainted it silver and went off to film, rather than getting some Sterlings and building them up into SF guns from scratch.  I suppose what I should've asked was do any of the attached gubbins indicate these are repurposed SW props?

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 23 September, 2015, 01:31:20 PM

Unlikely, unfortunately - 'The Worm that Turned' was broadcast at the beginning of 1980, Blake's 7 series 4 didn't start production until 1981.

Interesting!  I haven't checked myself (or even thought of checking the dates) as I assumed the person that said it had seen them on the screen for sure.  I'm going to check it out myself sometime, purely for research and nothing to do with all the women in hot pants.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll