Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Following this on and off: I have to say reading the comics would be an idea....in saying that however, the tread has raised some entertaining and informative discussions.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Frank on 03 January, 2017, 07:15:09 PM

We'll see how smart we are when Sandman gets round to asking where all the money comes from if nobody works ...

Ooh, ooh, ooh...!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

What I take from Sharky's strangled interjection:

The Legendary Shark

Ha! Just laughed so loud I woke the dog up!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

Don't know if this is the good place to ask questions about JD but two things are on my mind:
1)Does anybody know in which issue of Dredd there was some contestant show where people are beaten to the bloody pulp? I think it's one of the earlier stories (in b&w).

2)as i like to entertain myself occasionally by reading about particular movie behind-the-scenes, I found out that Under Siege was originally supposed to be named Dreadnought (as scripted). Aside thinking it's the coolest name ever for any military tool imho, Under Siege is basically a rip-off of Die Hard. My question is, regarding Die Hard popularity, is there any Dredd strip dedicated to fight against a group of baddies, limited to one location (obviously, not referring to 2012 film)?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 16 August, 2021, 05:13:27 PM
Under Siege is basically a rip-off of Die Hard. My question is, regarding Die Hard popularity, is there any Dredd strip dedicated to fight against a group of baddies, limited to one location (obviously, not referring to 2012 film)?

1. Dredd 2012  :P
2. The Pit: Bongo War doesn't quite fit, as it's more an homage to Assault on Precinct 13
3. Dredd against the Judda inside a hollowed out Uluru in Oz. Not the key focus of the story, though.
4. Crusade is like Battle Royale on ice, with Judges!
5. That one about the Egyptian undead ... Book of the Dead.
6. I tend to forget anything by Mark Millar two seconds after I've read it, so it's possible that the aptly titled "Under Siege" from prog 880 is a rip off of Under Siege (and therefore also of Die Hard, and therefore also of Harold Lloyd because of the thing with the fire hose) but I don't remember it at all so I can't really say.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

There's been a number of Dredd stories revolving around game shows featuring death or violence (in black and white).  They're usually illegal, conducted by pirate broadcasters  Off the top of my head there's the following:

• You Bet Your Life
  • The Game Show Show
  • Block Out at the Crater Bowl (this one was legal!)
  • The Booby Prize

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 August, 2021, 05:31:42 PM

1. Dredd 2012  :P
2. The Pit: Bongo War doesn't quite fit, as it's more an homage to Assault on Precinct 13
3. Dredd against the Judda inside a hollowed out Uluru in Oz. Not the key focus of the story, though.
4. Crusade is like Battle Royale on ice, with Judges!
5. That one about the Egyptian undead ... Book of the Dead.
6. I tend to forget anything by Mark Millar two seconds after I've read it, so it's possible that the aptly titled "Under Siege" from prog 880 is a rip off of Under Siege (and therefore also of Die Hard, and therefore also of Harold Lloyd because of the thing with the fire hose) but I don't remember it at all so I can't really say.

Hm... Now that you've mentioned, Assault on Precinct 13 was the first (and the only) thing I recalled when I read...uh...Attack of the Gila Men or something like that. Believe it was CCF 05 or maybe it was CCF 11, because I read them at around the same time lol

If Millar ripped off Die Hard (and Harold Lloyd), that sounds like Mark Millar, so i could say he ripped off himself as well.

Edit: Attack of the Gila Men is actually Assault on I-Block 4. Thx, almighty Google.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

sheridan

Gila Munja, and the story was Assault on I-Block 4.

AlexF

There's also 'Escape from Kurt Russell', in which Dredd and his perp have to make their way down and out of a block fighting past baddies, and may or may not be a reference to the films of a successful 1980s director.*

You could argue that the Bolland classic 'Punks Rule' has this basic plot, although Dredd succeeds without having to actually brawl his way through tons of perps.

*It definitely is.