Main Menu

Need Help With Movie Soundtrack?

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 05 April, 2016, 04:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Remember, when I said I had purchased the soundtrack to Highlander Two - The Quickening. Yet,
it was some time before the release or even the announcement of the film along time ago now.

Not that I am sure how far back I purchased the soundtrack on cassette. I believe it could have been any where from 87 onwards. From a time I had changed high school & at the start of that year & finished senior at the end of the next year. Although, it seems more like the following year. I know I found the cassette in some place like Cosmic Music (Which is gone now & I know that's not really relevant to most of you!) in the old part of town practically in the mall. Where the arcade was. There is another music store. Two
others, one in the mall near the newsagency which is still there (The newsagency!) the other in a arcade,
in a smooth in in the wall next to a Book-World store that are both gone now. This is a faro-fare between the mall & the railway station that runs parallel to the alley next to a well known Irish pub. Like, I wrote earlier, this information only matters to the locals really.

I just think it's weird that they release music sound tracks to films years before their release. In this case it could have been nearly three years. How common is it for a film to made a few years before it's release?

I know it's happened with a few films, I'm not at liberty to recall right now. Yet it almost seems freaky, like
a projection from the future.

GordonR

Film soundtracks are pretty much the last major component of a film to be done - a composer usually doesn't produce a score until they've seen at least a rough cut of the film, got a sense of the characters and tone of the film, know the rough order and running length of important scenes where the major music points go etc
- so soundtrack albums aren't released several years in advance of the movie.

The film and its soundtrack album were both released in 1991. So, respectfully, you couldn't have had a copy of the soundtrack in 1987 or any couple of years after that.

M.I.K.

Highlander 2 apparently wasn't released in Australia until 1992, so it is possible you got the soundtrack about a year before that.

Link Prime

Banners

To be fair, the track Ride of the Valkyries was released a couple of years before Apocalypse Now.

GordonR

I feel the mystery of the time-travelling soundtrack album can be solved quite simply.

TS - were there any Queen songs on the cassette you had?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 05 April, 2016, 04:06:30 PM

in a smooth in in the wall next to a Book-World store that are both gone now.

Correction....that is Booth!!!!

I assume the movie was made almost right after the success of the first one & very close to it then. Maybe even as early as 1987 or 88. Because I think I got it's cassette soundtrack in 89 or 90, perhaps.

Wish I knew exactly, and wish I had the cassette right in front of me now. Because I either removed all the cassette sound tracks I had been keeping in cassette case with all my The Angels (I nearly have them all except for Evidence R.I.P. Doc or perhaps that's not his style!) cassette tapes. A lot of their cassette singles which had brought in eager anticipation of Beyond Salvation album. Three from Dire Straits (Making Movies, Love over Gold, Brothers in Arms & Money for Nothing must be floating around with all the other missing cassette tapes. That was 1988 release. I distinctly recall taking that one to the end of school break-up at a local swimming pool!) & Best of the Eagles which I know I have two of, because I must have brought two of those and the latter was most probably appropiated on my trip down south. Nothing like having cassette player installed in my Ultility and put those soundtracks some where else. Maybe I just shoved them in one of my desk draws or another box. I found the soundtrack for Gremlins (There is some extended release from Peter Gabrielle on that one!) just lying on one of the beds with a lot of other stuff I haven't sorted through & put away yet. 

As for the contents of related soundtrack I really looking for. I'm not sure about that. I don't think Queen featured on it. Yet, was It's Kind of Magic reused in that film?

Should have been that title of this thread

Link Prime

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 April, 2016, 12:35:36 AM

As for the contents of related soundtrack I really looking for. I'm not sure about that. I don't think Queen featured on it. Yet, was It's Kind of Magic reused in that film?

It's been ages since I saw it, and I've understandably been reluctant to revisit it, but as far as I recall it is played on a jukebox in a bar by old-man-MacLeod early in the film.

paulcrilley

Yup. Kind of Magic was put on the jukebox with a knowing smirk from MacLeod. But the movie was definitely made in 91.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 April, 2016, 04:55:47 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 April, 2016, 12:35:36 AM

It's been ages since I saw it, and I've understandably been reluctant to revisit it, but as far as I recall it is played on a jukebox in a bar by old-man-MacLeod early in the film.

Yeah, I don't remember details of that film exactly that much these days.

Guess what?

I found the cassette tape on the same bed & looks like I was just ignoring it too. It was with some more tapes as well. One titled Classic Heavy Metal a birthday/Xmas present from my older brother. Obviously before I started/finished buy all the The Angels tapes. One of songs on it No Secrets & hits fromCheap Trick, Boston, Cold Chisel, Thin Lizzy, George Thorogood, Rose Tattoo, Kiss, Slade & Steppenwolf to name a few of the featured bands.   There is date of release on this a& it might have been older since none of the songs were new back the very early 90's and Waking Up the Neighbours. The one I was trying to recall the day on another part of the music thread by Bryan Adams & his band. Can't Stop This We Started was a hit back when I got it. This is good honest Canadian born rock n roll. Very wholesome stuff.

Here's the thing about this tape cassette & the Highlander Two soundtrack. My older brother by a strange coincidence has that earlier Bryan Adams cassette tape (I'm pretty sure of it.) It must be Reckless with those  like Run to You, Summer of 69, Heaven. They were big and he was also the prpoud owner of first Highlander soundtrack which was mainly Queen including that song It's Kind of Magic & remember first seeing that video for the song on television showing bits pieces of the movie that would be Highlander. WOW!!! Yet, Princes of the Universe was brilliant & it even includes features a female new-reader reporting murderous exploits of that present day Kurgan, as he drives in search of more immortal brethren to de-cap with composite sword in briefcase by his side.

So he had the first & I had the next of two cassette tapes, very small but still some coincidence.

That Highlander Two cassette tape has the year 1990 written in small print on that little folded card & little wonder. I was expecting to say that & nothing more surprisingly earlier. I might be itching to listen to the tape right now, because my internet is so buggered right now, that You-Tube would take ages to buffer it I was to find it there. I has a photo taken from the film.  Which back then seemed very interesting....greying Colin Macleod (In cartoon spin-off of the film, Colin Macleod was a Roman who was excepted into the clan as a young boy. He wasn't a Macleod until he was dealt that mortal wound by the Kurgan & truly claimed it when he awoke!) duelling with one of the bounty hunters on a narrow cat walk. Who sent from his home world to either bring him own or back. I thought other guy did look odd & kind cool back then I saw C.L. again as younger Colin Macleod but wearing the same clothing here after something must have happened to get back to being youthful in earlier Sci/fi/fantasy film magazine I found in the Daily Planet Comics when it was a small shop across the road from the Myer Center. Little did I know how much this film would bomb & piss off fit's fans.

Queen don't feature on the album despite the jukebox moment in the film. Does anybody know the Lou Gramm Band? While that sounds familiar, I couldn't recall anything they've done ever & especially they're One Dream which is lyrics from It's a Kind of Magic. The album cover promises a film that tells a bigger story.....

(Please insert photo from movie soundtrack tape cassette inlay....My internet still hates me!)

I might have wrote this before else where on the forum & I'll repeat it now. This sequel is to the success of the first film what many may feel Slaine - Time Killer is to everything that he did right up until he was transferred to Cythrawl. Not that I mind the Sci-Fi embellishments of the forbidden weaponry. Too me this was one of the more memorable parts of the saga.

Other cassette tapes I found. Some free games that came with a early computer magazine. Remember when games had to loaded on a special computer cassette player. Some blue robot like R2-D2 in platformer where it has to find keys to the next levels while being shot at by red bots. Some Rage of Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles Why... I got that I don't know.. & Foo -Fighters - There is Nothing Left to Lose! yeah, that's more like it, but haven't listened to that one much either.

That's all for now....