Main Menu

How do I block a website on OS X?

Started by Buddy, 21 April, 2008, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Want to block youtube on the Mac that is in the house my sons lives, he's accessing some inappropriate material (usually it's some twat commenting on games he likes but the commentary involves a lot of effing and blinding).

So how do I block a site on OS X, the Mac is using Safari if that helps.

Cheers!
J!

Jim_Campbell

"So how do I block a site on OS X, the Mac is using Safari if that helps. "

'Tis easy to do, but the exact process is different, depending whether you're running 10.4 or 10.5.

Under 10.4, there's a Parental Controls option under Safari's own application settings.

Under 10.5, you need to make sure your son has his own User Account and Log-in, and the go to Parental Controls under System Preferences. You can then specify individual sites under the "Content" tab - check to the "Limit Access to Adult Websites"  and then click "Customize", which will allow you to specify which sites you want blocking.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

"Under 10.4, there's a Parental Controls option under Safari's own application settings. "

Just to expand on that, I think the User needs to be logged in at a non-admin level in order to enable the Parental Controls in Safari, so the little chap will still need his own User Account setting up if he doesn't already have one.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.