Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 10 August, 2017, 12:17:35 PM
Just want to take a moment to blame this collection for my upcoming bankruptcy. Re-started both my monthly Prog/Meg subscription and my Mega Collection subscription because I've got a bit more disposable than I did back in March, and I'm fully back aboard the 2000AD wagon. Dammit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how it works, see.  They offer you the odd prog to get you interested, then a monthly meg ...

The next thing you know you're mainlining partworks and OD'ing on the Cursed Earth saga in Welsh!

Skullmo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 August, 2017, 03:54:22 PM
I'd say the majority of issues in the JDMC had repro that could be considered good or better. Some older coloured strips had moire, but not to the degree Rebellion content used to (that first Swimming in Blood – *shudder*), and a few b+w strips clearly need some kind of re-scan. But, again, if you want to stare truly terrible repro in the face, take a look at the eye-openingly appalling mess IDW made of Marvel-era Transformers.

Sadly, if I am going to pay £10 for a book I expect the repro to be very good. Falling below that standard just irritates me. Maybe I think £10 is a lot of money, I am not that rich to waste money.

It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 10 August, 2017, 05:00:37 PM
Maybe I think £10 is a lot of money, I am not that rich to waste money.

It is a lot of money, and your choice not to spend it. But find me a full-colour 200-page hardback of choice comics for less, 100% successful repro or not.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 August, 2017, 05:26:15 PM

It is a lot of money, and your choice not to spend it. But find me a full-colour 200-page hardback of choice comics for less, 100% successful repro or not.

I agree. It's value for money even if it's not perfect, and what in this life is.
Some of this stuff is 40 years old and wasn't even close to perfect in the original issues.
I'm grateful that this stuff is coming.
Take my money!

davidbishop

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 August, 2017, 03:54:22 PM
I'd say the majority of issues in the JDMC had repro that could be considered good or better. Some older coloured strips had moire, but not to the degree Rebellion content used to (that first Swimming in Blood – *shudder*), and a few b+w strips clearly need some kind of re-scan. But, again, if you want to stare truly terrible repro in the face, take a look at the eye-openingly appalling mess IDW made of Marvel-era Transformers.

Some of the problems with Swimming in Blood go right back to the original artwork scans. It was huge and multi-layered and we never managed to get a decent scan for several of Sean's amazing pages. *sigh*

IndigoPrime

Yeah, I recall discussing the art at the time (possibly with you, and definitely with Dom Preston). I don't doubt the art caused problems, but, wow, that book was a disaster. Fortunately, technology's moved on to the point even tricky art can often be cleaned up nicely, despite the odd snag here and there. (The Luke Kirby volume still has some moire here and there, but it's mostly subtle, and not throughout the book.)

Still, like I said, you're never going to get perfect retro from old material. I'm just glad Rebellion cares enough about its content to do the best it can, rather than farming out old content to somewhere in India and running the lot through a 'wreck artwork' filter, as appears to have happened with Transformers. (I mean, seriously; if you're going to 'update' the art, don't obliterate the fine details, make the result look like it was coloured and inked by a child, and – for an encore – realise the text is often broken, and therefore litter the result with typos.)

Link Prime

Ah c'mon Julius, sure you use Bolland original art to light your cigars.

Davgardo

There was a debate on the MC thread about repro so I won't re-open that can of worms here! Generally however, the repro was good, especially when treated to colour spreads (of which there seemed to be no pattern: sometimes we got 'em and sometime we didn't). Occasionally it WAS poor though: The Haunting of Sector House 9 was probably the worst, while others like Engram and Return of Rico bleached out the finer details.
Early Slaine reproduced to a good standard would be glorious - yes I'm looking at you Sky Chariots!

TordelBack

Quote from: Davgardo on 11 August, 2017, 08:32:54 AM
Early Slaine reproduced to a good standard would be glorious - yes I'm looking at you Sky Chariots!

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Eamonn Clarke

If you raise any queries with subscription department and you then get a phone call from a South African call centre, that's them.

Rately

Subscriber number finally accepted, and direct debit set up.

Excited as I'm finally going to catch up on the likes of Dante, Stickleback etc.

moly

Has anyone who signed up for the trial been able to register with the trial sub number or been emailed with new details

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: moly on 11 August, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
Has anyone who signed up for the trial been able to register with the trial sub number or been emailed with new details
Judging by my experience with telephone support today you want your account details to show your delivery address as the same as your billing address in every detail, including lower and upper case letters. Then try adding the sub number again.

moly

moly

Bugger just realised the massive book case I brought for the judge dredd mega collection and assorted 2000ad, statues, figures etc etc isn't going to cut the mustard with this new collection oh well back to ikea, can just imagine my wife reaction :D