Main Menu

EE 13 - You're Going Home in a Flying Ambulance

Started by Wils, 28 November, 2005, 11:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

There have been two Judge Giants. The first was the son of John 'Giant' Clay and, presumably, Harlem Hellcat Cindy Lamont. The other is the illegitimate son of the first Judge Giant and interior decorator (iirc) Adelle Domer.

Most people assume that Harlem Heroes is set in 2050 but it's more like that it takes place 2077. Judge Giant senior was born c. 2079, his son Judge Giant junior was born. c.2105, if their induction/graduation dates are anything to go by.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

That should have been 'interior designer' but I'm probably wrong either way.

Eric Plumrose

'DoRmer', DAMMIT. Arses and other sweary epithets.

Byron Virgo

Though the year 2050 is constantly stated in Harlem Heroes as being the actual date that it is set in.

Eric Plumrose

It's been an age since I've read it but the only time I can remember the date 2050 being mentioned is in the first episode.

Copy. Paste. Et voila.

Prog 1 merely states that aeroball ?has swept the world? by that year, not that the story takes place at that particular time. When it was first published, 2000 AD?s stories were often set one hundred years from the cover date. Furthermore, Giant?s supposed tomb [INFERNO (Prog 72)] has the following inscription:

IN FOND MEMORY OF
JOHN ?GIANT? CLAY
2150 ? 2178
DESTROYED IN HIS PRIME BY THE
HARLEM HELLCATS
R.I.P.

Assuming the above dates are typos and INFERNO (its early episodes stating the action is taking place during the 21st century) is set in 2078, this would make Giant senior twenty-nine years old when he fathers Giant junior [cf. JUDGE DREDD ?The Academy of Law? (Progs 27 ? 28)].

Byron Virgo

The phrase "By the year 2050..." is used in epsiodes 1 and 2, whilst the Trans-Atlantic Tunnel is also stated as being started in 2010 and completed in 2050.

There again, leter on there's a caption box stating: "TOKYO'S FIFTH AIRPORT, 2,000AD.", so I don't suppose they really gave much of a toss about what time the strips were supposed to be set in.

Buddy

Would have liked to see our Rufus on cover art, considering he was the last artist to draw that character in a strip, and of course, it's about time he got some regular gigs from Tharg.

Richmond Clements

I would have liked the copies of the EE in my local newsagents to have had staples in them, but hey, you can't have everything.

Byron Virgo

Perhaps you could borrow Bolt's long-arm...?

Richmond Clements

Sadly, that's exactly what I thought of when I bought it.

Byron Virgo

You 'long-term collaborators' must think alike.

The Adventurer

Wait...what? No staples? How did that happen?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Byron Virgo

Someone forgot their stapler.

No, these things always happen when you've got mass printing of this kind. The stapling is done automatically once the pages are collated, so you will inevitably get the odd 'miss-fire'. But ultimately it's the printer's responsibility - quality control and all that.

Al_Ewing

I love the way the heroes have these cool black t-shirts with their names on them for when they're out of uniform. Something for the 2000AD t-shirt department to consider there.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, I'd buy a T-shirt with Slim on it in an instant to subliminally influence how people see me.

Similarly I was going to have the word 'enormous' tatood on my cock but in the end I had to settle for 'big'