Main Menu

PROG 1384 - Cricket Bat Mayhem

Started by WoD, 05 April, 2004, 04:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I'm not the first to get it am I????

Steamboy

you certainly are, and a good couple of years ahead of everyone else too. That chrono-delivery service you use must do wonders ;)

CU Krestel

WoD

Steamboy

why has the title corrected itself on your last post, didn't know it was possible still should stop confusion, and every second poster making a dumb joke like mine.

CU Krestel

WoD

I changed it in the subject line.  Didn't know you could so I gave it a try..

Had a quick read of the prog.  Looks OK, I liked Shaun of the Dead.  Will have a proper read later as I'm in the office on my own today..

WoD

DavidXBrunt

Is it an extra thick prog or do we skip a strip this week?

DavidXBrunt

Ooookay. Interesting prog. Glossy covers back, which is very nice indeed. The recent (or only noticed recently by me at any rate) trend for tying the colour scheme of the cover to the nerve centre continues and legibility continues as well. Which is nice. Droid life made me smile.

Dredd - nice twists, could be heading for a rapid conclusion though. Hope there's some double parts ahead of us.

Sin Dex - continues in the improved style of recent weeks with the comedy elements toned back and the serious dramatic parts foregrounded. I must say I'm enjoying this. Clarkes art is perfect for this sort of thing. Kal has been just what this strip needed. If you've not been reading this current run because you got burned out but used to like Sin Dex, give it a go again.

Bec and Kawl - lovely art and a few chuckles. Earned it's place in the line-up then.

Rogue Trooper - This weeks episode feels like the calm before the storm. Interested to see how things pan out, which is good.

And finally - Shaun of the Dead. Great cover, very striking. The art work is as good as youd expect from Frazer. The story felt quite slight to me, but then what else could it be in 5 pages? Has it worked in making me want to see the film? I wanted to see it anyway. But I'll be looking out for Mary now, so it probably did the trick. Reads well and on this form I'd be interested in seeing more. Is it too small a turn around for an extended run to tie in with the D.V.D. release?

DavidXBrunt

Oh, and Durham Red too. Speaks volumes that I forgot it so quickly. Art looks nicer this time around and while very little happened it feels like we're heading towards a resolution. Here's hoping.

Max Kon

WoD

OK, slightly longer read so...
Dredd.  It's kicking off, quicker than expected, but I suspect we have a traitor in the mix (maybe someone who had been a prisoner before who now has Sov loving tendancies).
Sin Dex - Nice
Droid Life - I like a logic problem that causes your head to explode!
Haven't read Bec and Kawl.
Rouge - Happy that he's been portrayed as a killing machine over the last couple of progs caue that's what he is, not a deep, thoughtful and ultimately troubled but gentle soul.
Red - Too much techno babble for me.
And I've already said I likes SOTD, and I did on the second reading too.

WoD

Mr D

Dredd - Liking it, liking it a lot. Wouldn't it be nice if another war started, and simultaneously the NMA attacked Mega City 1 in the meg? Sweet double front action... Oh well. Page 4 stood out because 'Think they're knew we were coming?' doesn't make sense really.. :-P

Sin Dex - This really is working better than any other incarnation of Sin/Dex I've read. It's just right, and while there are funny parts, theres a lot more emphasis on the actual job. It's more like how a strip about gunsharks SHOULD be.

Bec and Kawl - Sorry, but I'm REALLY enjoying this. Loads of silliness, granted, but it's not weak. Great chuckles and great art.

Rogue Trooper - Good installment, but it didn't go quite how I saw it. Looking forward to next week. Art, as ever, astounding.

Durham Red - Kind of a quiet episode before the fight starts, but loads of explosions, consistently great art, and odd 'Red kisses everyone' stuff which made me smile.

Shaun of the Dead - Very nice cover, better than I'd expect from a movie tie-in. Artwork is great, though I already wanted to see the film, so I wasn't needing conversion. It has deepened the film ever so slightly for me. And I'm sure I recognise one of the zombies from the trailer...!!

And you've all missed a crucial point: DROID LIFE! This week dealing with the effect of logical paradoxes on machines. (ie, someone's head explodes)

GordonR

Sonme jokes in the Shaun of the Dead strip would have been a novel idea, seeing as how the film's supposed to be a comedy, and all...

Trout

The first Monday arrival of a prog for a few weeks has put me in a damn good mood.
The comic's quite good, too.

Yet again, I laughed out loud at Droid life, but somebody ought to tell P14 he work has been included in a prog! :-)

As for our excellent Dredd story, I'm still loving Gulag.
After last week's revelation that it was a trap, I read this with a horrible sinking feeling which was quickly confirmed. I'm still impressed by the pace of the story.

The art's still lovely, too. I really like the judges' snowsuits, and was pleased to see a slight redesign for the Sovs.

That's Kazan Junior! I'm telling you it is!

SinDex was again quite good.
I enjoyed the art, and the slight gallow humour of the apprentice killer learning his trade.

I was also chuckling a bit at Bec and Kawl, which, although not sparkling stuff, is a perfectly serviceable comedy comic strip.
I'd love to see the work of Steve Roberts on other strips.
Has he done much else for 2K? I must look at his profile later.

There was an improvement for Rogue Trooper, which at least has the main character questioning his actions, plus lots of intrigue.

The only bit I shook my head at was the "Take him prisoner - I want to see him face-to-face" ending, which, although often necessary, is always a bit pants, really.

I liked this week's colourful computer work on Durham Red, but I'm afraid I still don't have much time for the strip.
It was always obvious those ships were going to be tragic cannon fodder, so, without any real surprise being involved, I can't get too excited.

However, I always like a space battle, so I suppose this was better than before.
It ends when? Next week or the one after?

Finally, the Shaun of the Dead story was a nice bonus.
Simon Pegg's a lucky bastard to have himself depicted in the prog by none other than the great Frazer!
The story lacked substance, but of course it couldn't manage much more because it can't spoil the film.

As an appetite-whetter it worked very well. I'm twice as keen to see the film now.

Finally, that advert on the back page looks familiar.
Jamie, is this why the doors to the last Dreddcon didn't open on time?

Were you taking pictures?
:-)

Overall, a very good comic. I'm going with a strong 7 out of 10, despite the lack of a letters page.

- Trout

JamieB

That was a picture I took from *outside* the venue, when the auction started :(

J-Bo-1

Trout