Main Menu

The SheerGlam Conspiracy by Steve MacManus

Started by Bad City Blue, 02 October, 2019, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 March, 2021, 08:40:41 AM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 23 March, 2021, 09:15:15 AM
What in the comic did you find problematical? All reads fairly harmless to me.

Ignoring the artwork entirely and focusing on the script, the first things that spring to mind are:

Titling a strip 'Domenica's Ring' is bad enough but the lead character of this strip is a seventeen year old girl with the surname 'Totti'.
Next in 'Boot Room Boy' we have a Mr Pablo Zapata, from Carambia who doesn't speak English very well. In fact his first words are 'I shoot many goalies.'

Am I wrong in thinking these are just bad? Mind your language bad.
You are not wrong. & the use of the word 'Jap'.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: judgeurko on 28 March, 2021, 02:57:43 PM

Ignoring the artwork entirely and focusing on the script, the first things that spring to mind are:

Titling a strip 'Domenica's Ring' is bad enough but the lead character of this strip is a seventeen year old girl with the surname 'Totti'.
Next in 'Boot Room Boy' we have a Mr Pablo Zapata, from Carambia who doesn't speak English very well. In fact his first words are 'I shoot many goalies.'

So the foreign footballer and one use in a WW2 strip of the word Jap.

You REALLY are trying to be offended here.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bolt-01

Umm, yeah I found the racism offensive.

I'm not trying to be offended, and think the editorial team should have picked it up.

If you want to downplay it, feel free.

As I said a few posts ago -- it could be better and it 'should' be better.

judgeurko

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 28 March, 2021, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 28 March, 2021, 02:57:43 PM

So the foreign footballer and one use in a WW2 strip of the word Jap.

You REALLY are trying to be offended here.
You weren't offended by it, that's fine but don't dismiss the fact that someone else was. I am not REALLY (see I can unnecessarily use caps as well) trying to be offended. I found it offensive.

Bad City Blue

I wonder if Commando comics uses terms like Japs and Krauts these days.

I don't read them myself, so couldn't say either way.

Bolt-01

Bad City Blue

Splank!

Blazer is, read on its own, problematic today.  But I think its important to consider it in its proper context.  These scripts were created as part of Steve's parody novel, The Sheerglam Conspiracy, they were not initially intended to be turned into a comic but were elaborate jokes, pointing out the foibles and problems with the comics many of us read in the seventies. The fact that dreadful sexist names were used for characters (Totti) and that casual racism was endemic, was, I felt, part of the point of the book.   Read in that context, Blazer is a different animal. I'm not sure its useful to sanitize parody and ignore the things that were wrong with seventies comics, but I would suggest that it is best read as an honest parody.

judgeurko

Quote from: Splank! on 01 April, 2021, 10:50:13 AM
Blazer is, read on its own, problematic today.  But I think its important to consider it in its proper context.  These scripts were created as part of Steve's parody novel, The Sheerglam Conspiracy, they were not initially intended to be turned into a comic but were elaborate jokes, pointing out the foibles and problems with the comics many of us read in the seventies. The fact that dreadful sexist names were used for characters (Totti) and that casual racism was endemic, was, I felt, part of the point of the book.   Read in that context, Blazer is a different animal. I'm not sure its useful to sanitize parody and ignore the things that were wrong with seventies comics, but I would suggest that it is best read as an honest parody.
Sanitize parody? Simply replicating the sexism & casual racism is not parody.

Bolt-01

If you (or indeed anyone) wants to read an affectionate, well made parody of the comics of the '70's, then you cannot go wrong with The Bumper Book Of Solar Wind

This was a project that was (IIRC) born on this very message board and involved quite a few folk who are no longer here.

There is a second volume as well and it goes without saying that these lost gems of the UK small press scene should be enjoyed by all.

Bad City Blue

There has been a good old chat/fight about all this on the Blazer facebook page. As a result, things have been learned and taken notice of. I, myself, have researched many wartime nicknames, their origins and if they are seen as derogatory in the current time. It'svery interesting.

Anyway, here is the official statement.

------------------------------------------------------

In response to a derogatory word appearing in issue 1 of BLAZER!
As publisher the buck stops with me at The77 Publications. I represent both the creators and producers of Blazer! and also have to listen to our readers and the wider public's opinions and concerns over what is printed. In this instance it is necessary to be clear.
The word in question is outdated and shows that comics have moved on from the 70's. It shouldn't have featured in the comic.
I extend an apology for any offence caused.
Addendum: Anyone who has  previously purchased a digital or print copy and wishes to receive a redacted edition of BLAZER! please comment below or email The77Publications@gmail.com
This edition will be sent to you at no extra cost.
All future reprints will be edited accordingly.

Ben Conan Cullis CEO: The77 Publications