Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Even for a Hammer film it's gratuitous!
@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

Shackleton . Two part tv movie starring Kenneth Brannagh as the eponymous explorer; my childhood hero and leader of one of the greatest stories of human fortitude and endurance ever told.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

I haven't seen Shackleton in years. Brannagh was marvellous.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 August, 2017, 08:17:04 PM
Shackleton . Two part tv movie starring Kenneth Brannagh as the eponymous explorer; my childhood hero and leader of one of the greatest stories of human fortitude and endurance ever told.

Sharky you should get yourself up to my work:

Enduring Eye' showcases Frank Hurley's photographs of the the 'Endurance Expedition' of 1914-1917, alongside items from the Library's polar collections.

http://www.nls.uk/
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Oh wow, that looks awesome!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bad City Blue

Atomic Blonde - very good, and beautifully (if violently) directed
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dark Jimbo

The Man Who Haunted Himself, starring the late, great Roger Moore. A car accident leaves a London buisnessman clinically dead for several minutes, and thereafter he begins to suspect he has a doppelganger making moves on his life... It's a bit slower in pace than is best for it at times, and it would have been nice if the stakes were a bit higher than an impending buisness merger. Cracking central performance from Roger though, and I love the 1970s bowler, brolly and Gentlemen's Club aesthetic. A worthwhile oddity.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 August, 2017, 04:01:46 PM
I love the 1970s bowler, brolly and Gentlemen's Club aesthetic.

Jimbo's a huge Pat Mills fan, but isn't reading the current series of Greysuit.

Nobody tell him

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Frank on 17 August, 2017, 05:07:37 PM

Quote from: Frank on 17 August, 2017, 05:07:37 PM

Ha, I'm getting the gist of it from perusals of the review threads! My politics have always been wildly at odds with the Guv'nor.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

IT'S ALL BOWLER HATS, BROLLIES, AND GENTLEMEN'S CLUBS!

Every page. It's like the inside of Jacob Rees-Mogg's head.

Fungus

Don't really watch films but gave Marvel Avengers Assemble another go last night. It's one of the successful ones from what I've gleaned so it's still probably me...

Well, I made it to 70 mins then gave up. Something about spandex in a movie is utterly tedious. By far the best thing about it is the Pepper Potts/Tony Stark banter, that was genuinely sharp and sassy.

Still never managed a Marvel movie to the end...

CrazyFoxMachine

The Supergrass

The Comic Strip hit the big screen and much like the series it's tonally all over the shop but boasts a strong cast and sparkles with solid moments. Bizarrely I used to watch this on a VHS my dad had taped when I was nine. I was genuinely shocked at how far it goes in terms of dark themes and how little that seemed to have shocked or even interested me as a kid. Highlights include Alexei Sayle's enthusiastic motorbike policemen and Robbie Coltrane leaping into the sea to take on a boat with a chainsaw which is something everyone needs to see at least once.

Mardroid

Doctor Terror's House of Horrors

A 1965 Amicus production featuring an almost unrecognisable Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee (in this case a snobbish art critic who [spoiler]gets his come uppance[/spoiler]) and various other very familiar faces.

I think maybe it should be called Doctor Horror's Train of Terror, since the framing device for the anthology is a train, not a house (although most of the individual stories feature houses).

I'll admit I found the stories more comedic than scary, and not a little silly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think the art critic story and the vampire one may be my personal favourites.  The homicidal vine plant one, was probably the most silliest. (Key scene in mind, the botanist viewing a leaf under a microscope and seeing a brain structure. "Just as I thought!" he says. Day of the - Triffids, it isn't.)

I've seen it a few times and the ending has me scratching my head a bit. [spoiler] The idea is that the last tarot card will provide a get out option to prevent their futures from happening. In their cases, the last card is always Death. Fair enough. The only way they'll escape their tragic fates (which isn't death for all of them, incidentally, although some might wish it) is if they die. But in the end death actually wasn't an option. They had no choice in the matter. Seen in that way the predictions are not their futures, but what would have happened if the train hadn't crashed. Death (literally)  stepping in and sparing them a fate worth than death, maybe?[/spoiler]  I'm probably over thinking it. It was just a framework with another twist to tell a bunch of stories.

An enjoyable, but silly romp. It would have been nice if the stories were a bit more scary. I seem to remember other anthology films where this is the case.

Oh, and and there were very cool jazz sequences, if you're into that sort of thing.

Greg M.

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 August, 2017, 12:00:51 PM
The homicidal vine plant one, was probably the most silliest.

I can't think what's silly about DJ Alan 'Fluff' Freeman being attacked by plastic foliage. Proper horror? Not 'arf! Mind you, I think the werewolf story has a foreboding atmosphere that builds up quite well, but you're right, the stories are comfortingly spooky rather than scary. The titular 'house', apparently, is Dr. Terror's deck of cards.

'Dr. Terror...' is probably the most iconic of the Amicus anthologies - it's the first one they did - but it's not the best. It's certainly outstripped by 'Asylum' and 'Tales from the Crypt', but 'From Beyond the Grave' is the jewel in the crown.

Smith

Groundhog Day,still great. :)