Main Menu

TWD series 9

Started by Proudhuff, 11 October, 2018, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Just watched the last episode - I'm very glad that the thing that had already been spoiled for me was revealed fairly quickly.  Also, I really enjoyed it.  Being chased by zombies in a misty graveyard! It's B-movie territory but it worked.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: rogue69 on 29 November, 2018, 11:42:48 PM
There's no confirmed date yet,but it normally starts on the second Sunday of February which would make the start date for the current series 10 February. However season 8 moved away from this and part 2 didn't start until 25 February

Cheers Rogue!  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Keef Monkey

I know literally nobody who still watches the show (and this thread has been quiet for a while!) but this season has really got me back on board with the show. The snowy finale was very cool, and while there have been some duff episodes the good ones have been very good. Actually looking forward to it coming back, which is something I haven't felt for years!

Trooper McFad

I still watch TWD but end up moaning about the difference between the books and the show. I get the need to be different and some differences have worked (Daryl, still having Carol)and I understand that in a long running series (some seasons were too drawn out) that the actors will go on to pastures new BUT when you have very good story lines and characters in the books why change? As said when the changes are well thought out then they add to the story.
I I'm hoping the Whisper's story is done well and they don't drag it out with filler episodes like the Governor & Negan's storie lines did.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

Still watching and still enjoying it.

In my view this was the strongest season in at least the last 5 years.
A lot to enjoy; Ricks memorable exit, the time-jump, secondary characters getting a chance to shine and, unbelievably, The Whisperers working on-screen (didn't think it would be possible).

A brilliant finale too.
I've always found that there's something very enjoyable about horror set in winter conditions, and this episode didn't disappoint.
Great spotlight on Daryl, superb 'Draugr' zombies and a bit of a redemption for Negan too.

Roll on the autumn for season 10.

Keef Monkey

Yeah the icy setting was very, very cool, made for a really stylish episode. I particularly liked that it didn't seem like they felt the need to ram in a shocking twist or character death as a cliffhanger for the next season, it felt like they were confident enough in the characters that they didn't need to, which is quite a difference to some previous season finales. I guess they did have quite a lot of genuinely shocking exits in the penultimate episode and this was more of an aftermath sort of thing, but in the past the previous episode probably would have finished the season and this would have kicked off the next one.

It was great, I'm usually quite fatigued by the end of a Walking Dead season but I would have happily sat down to more next week!

Tiplodocus

Season 8 just turned up on Prime. Did we have a thread for it or had Season 7 sucked the life out of everyone?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 April, 2019, 04:17:47 PM
Yeah the icy setting was very, very cool

Sorry, I just can't let that one past without drawing attention to it.

It was great though, some interesting if slightly predictable developments on the [spoiler]Negan[/spoiler] front.

I don't read the comics so I was kind of blown away by the Whisperers' display of revenge. 

The series doesn't really suffer for the [spoiler]lack of Rick [/spoiler], surprisingly (given that it's generally a series' death knell when [spoiler]the lead actor departs.[/spoiler]

There are plenty of interesting characters about to keep it exciting.  I know this is probably blasphemy for TWD comic readers out there but I can't imagine the series without Daryl.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 November, 2018, 03:33:59 PM
Is it really improved 'that' much? I finally gave up at the midway point of S08.

I can see why.

Given that they've had the run time of Extended Editions of Fellowship and Two Towers in Season 8 up to this point and failed to deliver a) any decent action or b) any decent character beats.

And not only that they seem to be deliberately going non sequential for no other reason than it would be terribly fucking linear and plodding If they didn't. It's "and then..." storytelling at its worst.

And characters failing to speak in anything that resembles real dialogue (Negan, Ezekiel and the leader of the dump survivors) all at the same time stretches credulity. In a show where the dead walk.

The repeated motif of close ups of the lead characters trying to look meaningful (But for which we have no context by which to judge their reactions) are getting on my tits too.

And to top that, we seem to be barely through this "All out war", eight hours down and hardly anything changed situationly.

Of course I'm going to carry on watching. It's free and I get completionist on some things. But this is harder going than SMALLVILLE was.

JayzusB.Christ

I still like it.  Sometimes I think the ridiculously high quality of modern TV drama has us somewhat spoiled.  We demand the best and are unforgiving of anything less, even when it's still a good show.  For me, TWD's good bits far outweigh its bad ones. 

Not directed at you or anything, Tips.  For the record, Ezekiel's pseudo-shakespearian twaddle started getting on my tits a long time ago too, but I still like him and am glad he didn't end up as a head on a stick.

Tiplodocus

On their own, Megan or Ezekiel or dump woman (is it Jadous?) would probably be ok, even though nobody really talks like that. It's that all three are in the show together.

JayzusB.Christ

Hmmmm, never really thought Negan sounded too unnatural - he doesn't sound too unlike the intelligent, bombastic psychopath he is supposed to be.  The guy who played the Comedian was perfect for the role.  Pity about the Watchmen film, but that's another story.

Maybe if I read the comics I'd have a less positive view of TWD. But as I said, I like it, and for a bleak, post-apocalyptic nightmare hellscape, it always brightens up my life when it's back on the telly.

Proudhuff

I enjoy it mostly, sometimes the obvious ' this is so'n'so backstory' episodes are a bit tiresome as they seldom add to the overall picture.

I've liked the whole refocusing on Carol and Daryl, along with Micione, and seeing some of the settlemts flourishing, also things that previously irked: monster trucks, driving endless but never having to get fuel have all gone, only niggle is no-ones ever worked out you could use mountain bikes for moving around quickly, quietly and out run zombies...
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Fecking hell! They killed [spoiler]Carl[/spoiler]. I really wasn't expecting that. And it seems to have picked up pace after a terrible death rattle episode.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 April, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
Fecking hell! They killed [spoiler]Carl[/spoiler]. I really wasn't expecting that. And it seems to have picked up pace after a terrible death rattle episode.

Cripes, you've a bit of catching up to do.