Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Well, yes, exactly: wishes don't work.  But the reason I responded to your first post is that you were suggesting that pure belief (i.e. wishful thinking) would have an effect.  What confuses me about your rhetoric is that it doesn't even agree with itself from one post to the next.  You can boil it down to this as a conversation:

A: People should wish for better things.
B: But wishes don't work.
A: Neither do wishes, though.

Once again, I cannot square your endless circle.  (And also apparently can't resist responding when you publicly victim blame the electorate for the behavior of their government.  Which isn't in quotes, because it's a real thing, not a figment of our collective imaginations.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

It's not about wishing, Funt, or about apportioning blame. To me, it's about realising and acknowledging that a big part (to my mind, the biggest part) of our collective problems is that we all have the same basic rights and responsibilities regardless of our station in life.

If and when we realise this will just be the first step. What we do with this knowledge is another question altogether, a question which has myriad consequences, problems and solutions.

And I like your responses and criticisms because they encourage me to try and be clearer when I'm talking about my position.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

It's good to know that when governments finally start to push through the essential but incredibly painful and unpopular measures that preventing the death of the human world now requires, the Mother of Parliaments has shown us all how it can be done.  Quick referendum on "Do you you want to stop everyone you love dying from the effects of climate change?', claim that the measures involved would never do *anything* to negatively affect lifestyle or economy, and then interpret that mandate however the f*ck you like and suspend parliament until it's done.  Sign me up.

The Legendary Shark

We could have Climate Police - "This your bonfire, Creep?"

Sham Slade: Carbo-Hunter.

Aluminium Barium Carbon Warriors.

Mandroid Against Carbon Horrors One.

Flesh: Extinction. (Zarjaz issues 10, 14 and 17 (written by Yours Truly, illustrated and lettered by Chris Geary - Shameless Self Promotion Dept.) because, as bad as things are getting, we're all here for the comics, right?)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I'm not going to lie to you Sharky, sometimes it's only the comics, or prospect of same, that get me out of bed in the morning.

Greg M.

It's been interesting to see some online Tories cheering the departure of Ruth Davidson today. She's personally and near single-handedly responsible for the recent resurgence of the Tory vote in Scotland - and they don't care. As a nationalist myself, I should be glad to see her go, because she was a potent enemy of the independence cause - but at least she actually seemed to be a sane, fairly reasonable human being, something that's getting increasingly rare in her party.

TordelBack

Yeah, from a complete outsider's perspective Davidson appeared as close to being a competent adult human as it's feasible for Tories to be. Even her exit speech had an honesty to it. Obviously a poor fit for the contemporary party.

Funt Solo

I know politicians are supposed to lie, but has Boris no sense of shame?  (Rhetorical, of course: otherwise I'd be guilty of asking a stupid question.) 

This in reference to his continuing protestations that he's attempting to make a deal with the EU, when he can't provide any substance to indicate that there is any attempt being made to make a deal.

It's pure politics (100% proof), a complete absence of any reality save the underlying quest for power.  "If I say A, and people believe me, I might gain B."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

I've no idea what the party's tactics are now. The only possible explanation is that this is a combination of purge (get rid of any moderate Tory) and an election to secure a majority. The thing is, this is easily defeated. Non-no-deal has the numbers. All it would need is for Labour, the Lib Dems and the Greens to set up a non-aggression pact for English seats. That this is extremely unlikely (expect perhaps between GP/LD in a few seats) is deeply depressing, and will be the difference between a Labour-led coalition and no/soft Brexit, and Johnson's kipper version of the Tories trampling over everyone's face for as long as it likes.

Proudhuff

and the wheel spins, round and round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows!
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

It's baffling. We are now at the point – a really horrible point – where Labour and the SNP collectively just have to stay a bit calm and not jump the gun.

Hawkmumbler

The Conservative/DUP bed has, well and truly, been shat in.

Professor Bear

I'm increasingly convinced that Brexit is now too useful as a distraction to let 31st October be the end of it.  Arguing about the minutia of shit trade agreements after then is nothing compared to the atmosphere of fear and uncertainty that Brexit has come to represent and it's just too useful a political tool to let it be over and done with.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 September, 2019, 03:26:25 PM
The Conservative/DUP bed has, well and truly, been shat in.

The Conservatives must rue the day they made a pact with the DUP. It was only ever going to end badly.

I just hope the DUP take the trouncing at next elections that they deserve, but then I've been hoping for that for years.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 05 September, 2019, 10:16:14 PM
I just hope the DUP take the trouncing at next elections that they deserve, but then I've been hoping for that for years.

Well, this sounds promising.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.