Main Menu

Strontium Dog Without Wagner or Ezquerra

Started by Frank, 15 May, 2019, 07:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

I've been staring at this for literally days. It is astounding.

I'll post a proper copy to the FQP thread once it is all signed off, and a copy of it without the logo too.

This issue of Dogbreath, the longest continually running 2000 AD fanzine, will be on sale in July and also features Kev Hopgood on writing duties among our line-up.

MacabreMagpie

SIP

That's fantastic.  If I saw a "thrills of the future" in the prog with THAT picture......I'd be really looking forward to it.

Bolt-01

Thanks chaps - have to admit that getting Colin to draw a cover for Dogbreath has always been a 'grail' moment for me.

(I did ask Carlos, a few years ago at ICE, but he politely turned me down.)

Rogue Judge

Wow, that cover is a stunner! I'd pick it up for that alone.

Bolt, this this available at conventions only? I'd like to get a copy but live across the Atlantic.

Cheers

TordelBack

There's me earnestlydeclaring that I have no interest in post-Ezquerra, and then Colin's cover has me drooling...

Bolt-01

Rogue, Dogbreath happily travels wherever it can. You can get both Zarjaz & Dogbreath from the link in my sig.

I've no issues at all with send copies over the water, so once the issue is on sale, drop me an email and we can make it happen.

Cheers

Richard

This is why we need more SD in the prog.

Rogue Judge

Good news, thanks Bolt. It would be great if you could do a limited print or something with that image as well!

SIP

Two of my favourites drawing Strontium Dog this week! Fantastic.

SIP

For clarity, as in another fantastic drawing.

Mikey

As a matter of record, that was me asking the question :) You're welcome.

I think Carrol and MacNeil could potentially deliver something great with Strontium Dog, but my wistful circuits would also, if it ever happened, like it to not be about Johnny in honour & memory of Carlos.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Frank

Quote from: Mikey on 24 May, 2019, 04:57:26 PM
As a matter of record, that was me asking the question :) You're welcome.

I think Carrol and MacNeil could potentially deliver something great with Strontium Dog, but my wistful circuits would also, if it ever happened, like it to not be about Johnny in honour & memory of Carlos.

Cheers, Mikey. That's (sort of) how Ezquerra felt:

I don't mind them giving my characters to other artists, except maybe Strontium Dog - it's a character I love very much. The problem is that when you change from one artist to another, you change the personality - it's a different character.

Even secondary characters, like Middenface McNulty and Durham Red, have their own personalities. They made a series with Durham Red but they changed her so much it was another character.

Mark Harrison did a great job, but it was nothing to do with the character. They even changed the time she was living. They should have given her a new name and done her as a different character. That happened with Strontium Dogs, too.

Carlos Ezquerra, speaking to Julius Howe's Inky Fingers Podcast

That seems cut and dried, to me. The only complication is Wagner's proposal of paying the Ezquerra estate a royalty on any new stories created, which Carlos couldn't possibly have foreseen.

The only good reason I can see to do more Doggy at all is to fling the Ezquerras a few dollars more. Given that rationale, it's difficult to argue against featuring Johnny Alpha front and centre, given what happened on previous occasions Tharg tried to Jaegir the Dogverse. *

* The obvious example is the little-loved Strontium Dogs mess, but Tales Of The Doghouse were a joyless bit of editorial dick-swinging, as far as I was concerned. I know other fine people - there are some very fine people on both sides - feel differently. Regardless, nobody would argue they enjoyed the success or longevity of the original strip, and if New Stront isn't successful and long-running, it won't achieve the primary objective of continuing the strip - keeping Senora Ezquerra in bingo money.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Frank on 18 May, 2019, 02:53:08 PM
I'm in the parking bay right beside yours at the Place Of Peace, happy to gaze into the rear-view mirror and reflect on the forty years of Carlos we're so lucky to have.

I've mused several times over the years how lucky I am to still be able to read new issues of a comic I read as a kid, still (in part) written and drawn by the amazing people from back then (as well as the equally amazing newer talent we've seen now and since).

Are there any uncollected (non-2000AD) stories illustrated by Ezquerra that Rebellion could release, in the same way they've brought out "Invasion 1984", "The 13th Floor", "Operation Overlord", etc?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Steve Green

Rat Pack, Major Eazy, Comrade Bronski I think are the major ones from IPC.

Guess it depends how well El Mestizo sold.

Carlos also did some early work for DC Thomson with Chained to his Sword and Strongbow, but Rebellion wouldn't have any control over that.