Main Menu

Alan Moore: Portrait of An Extraordinary Gentleman

Started by Trout, 09 June, 2003, 10:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

A lengthy blether about the new Alan Moore book, for those who haven't yet got one or read other long-winded reviews elsewhere.

I picked up a copy of this intruiging book at the weekend and am quite impressed with it.

I've read most of it already, finding myself able to dip in and out of bits of it as a pleasant diversion.

Admittedly, it's an English version of a book produced originally for the Italian market, so it's includes several European creators I don't know much about.

However, there are plenty of British and American types in there, including David Lloyd, Walt Simonson, Neil Gaiman, Rob Williams, Jeff Smith, Howard Chaykin and others. This is just from memory. There are dozens.

Most of them are just small snippets, and most of the reading in the book - which costs ?10.99 - is based on back-slapping or reminiscences of meeting Moore.

But it's not limited to mainstream comics professionals. There are plenty of fanzine and indie writers in there, including the likes of Rich Johnson, the comics gossip columnist.

Now, don't expect an in-depth insight into the hairy one's psyche. It's mostly lightweight and short articles about him, although there is a fine comic strip biography, complete with artwork stolen from loads of places to illustrate it.
For example, the young Alan Moore is represented by Jack B Quick from ABC's Tomorrow stories, shown standing in front of Parkhouse's row of terraced houses from the Bojeffries Saga.

There are also some very dry academic essay pieces on Moore's work, such as one all about From Hell which was so deep and meaningful that I just skimmed it. I'm shallow that way.

The real highlight in this book is the number of sketches provided by admiring artists, many of whom have presented their take on some of Moore's much-loved characters, such as Tom Strong, Swamp Thing and various people from Watchmen.
There are some absolute gems there.

A lot of people have drawn the man himself. Let's face it, he's easy to draw.
David Lloyd's is my favourite. He's taken bits of V For Vendetta and created a montage, with white space making up a Moore portrait.

On the copyright issue - which I know must be on your minds - it's probably they're getting away with it all because the book's for charity.

It's designed as a tribute to Alan Moore as he approaches his 50th birthday (in November) and all profits and royalties are to go to Alzheimers charities.

This latest Moore book is a very different kind of read from last year's dull and straightforward "comicsography" Pocket Essential.

I hope you will all forgive this long-winded dissection, but I highly recommend this "Portrait" to all fans of the great man.

It's always worth being reminded just how important he has been to comics.

- Trout

Matt Timson

Yeah- I was flicking through it last week and wanted to buy it, but my better half was scowling at me and I thought better of it...

Will sneak out and buy it another day I reckon.
Pffft...

Trout

One further thought that may be of interest on this site.

Can anyone guess what Pat Mills wrote about his most-envied Alan Moore scene?

Have a guess, then scroll down...

Pat Mills wishes he wrote the scene with...

A

N

S

W

E

R

Bishop Lilliman in V For Vendetta, where V kills the clergyman with a poisoned communion wafer.

No surprises there. Pat's tribute to Moore also meanders into slagging off organised religion a lot too.

But I read it all, at least.

- Trout

Art

Various people involved with this project will be at the ICA on the 27th...

petemaskreplica

I've just finished reading this book, and also recommend it. I especially liked Terry Gilliam's explanation of why he is not going to make a film of Watchmen, and why no-one else should either.

There's also a long rambling and highly entertaining correspondence between AM and Dave Sims, which includes some intriguing bitchy comments about Eddie Campbell.

Art

A long rambling and highly entertaining correspondence between Pat Mills and Dave Sims, now that I'd pay money to read.

"I hate women you know"
"I do too!"
"I hate them more!"
"no me!"
"me!"

petemaskreplica

I wonder where they stand on the issue of women priests?