Main Menu

The Alan Moore Appreciation Society

Started by longmanshort, 04 July, 2003, 05:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

"Tomorrow's Stories" book?

I've read one story in a bumper fun ABC book,I think.Then again,er,nope can't remember.

Sorry to have got yer hopes up.
M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

"picked up Fort as it was by Frasier"

So is it any good?At the risk of sounding facetious,who wrote it?But the F is Mikey cryptonite!I am powerless against his cross hatching!You scoundrel MF!

Or do you mean a Kelsey Grammer book? ;p

Mikey.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

People. I have been reading your thatcher is/is not, a cunt arguement with great interest. And I have to say, you all should be congratulated for keeping the whole thing civil, and almost polite in places.

This is how debates should take place! Well done all of you! I'm very very proud.

Alan Moore eh?

Oddboy

Can I just add that there was a band playing at the Camberwell Festival that did a song called "We Still Hate You, Thatcher". It was funny.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Will I. Cooling

If you like Necronauts you like this as it is very, very similar. Same style art, similar timespan and a similar hero. The writings good although its Frasier art that really caries the book. Plus its only ?9.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Oddboy

Oddboy rumages around
Here we go:-

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840235799/qid%3D1057739384/026-3257935-6197248" target="_blank">Fort: Prophet of the Unexplained  (Peter Lenkov, F

Better set your phaser to stun.

Will I. Cooling

This is on Alan Moore I promise...

To me as a straight writer Alan Moore is a genuis, give him any concept and h'll write you a great story.

However what has to be noticed is that for such an iconic writer he has created very little original characters. Most of his greatest has even been with established characters i.e. Batman: A Killing Joke, Swamp Thing and originally Watchmen which was going to use Golden Age DC heroes or it has been a patishce of something i.e. Tom Strong.

When you compare this with people like Wagner, Mills or even  Ellis it isn't that great a roll call.

Also alot of the characters he did create had alot of imput from the artist for example it was Loyld's idea to base V on Guy Fawkes and Gibson's idea to have the first book of Halo Jones set on their home planet. More some of the more imagantive things about his script were actually requests made by artist for example both Halo Jone and V had no thought ballons because of the artists request.

Also lets face it hasn't to work with a bad artist in years which is got to be a big help. Look at the trouble poor Robbie's having with Authority due to the poor art.

Also not withstanding his ABC Stuff (which (rumour has it) he intends to end soon) he doesn't have that many runs on charcters. His longest one is propably his run on swamp thing which I'm reading through at the moment (thank you library). Now whether you look atthis as being a sign of his versitiality or a sign that he unlike say Wagner cannot plug away for 20 years at keep coming up for fresh ideas for a character.

As I've said as a straight writer his probably the best as he is just so versatile however I said that Wagner is a better regular writer and that Mills is better at creating characters (ABC Warriors, Ro-Busters, Slaine, Nemisis, Marshal Law and Requim plus his role in "developing" Judge Dredd).

Still I would anything you could find by him.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.