Main Menu

Necropolis vs Tour of Duty - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Semi Final 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 April, 2021, 07:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Apologies folks - I'm on holiday at the moment and the internet connection where we are is a little unstable - so there may be the odd delay in things - bear with me - using phone as a hotspot at the moment and the poor boy is having to settle for Minecraft not Fortnite!

To business...

You could argue that Necropolis was the end of the original Dredd Golden age, the end of an era as old classic Dredd stumbled - we went through a period of change and when Wagner came back to the Prog to return the series to the heights of its powers it was a different beast. I would certainly argue that Tour of Duty is the pinnacle of Modern Dredd. A story that has a bit of everything which has made that new era of Dredd what it is at its very best, while retaining an absolute cohesion as a single story. All that matters now however is which you prefer...

Seed 9 Necropolis - Progs 662 - 699

Vs

Seed 10 Tour of Duty - Progs 1649-1693

Still with the simple purity of popping the name of the Epic you prefer in a reply to this thread (remember to mark it clearly so I can spot it - bold tags are good) and then say whatever the heck you like to about these two great stories.

We're 3 day votes for the semis, so this one will close first thing in the morning Friday 16th April - winner is a finalist - loser goes to a 3rd place play-off

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

abelardsnazz

It's heart versus head here for me - going to go with my heart and vote for Necropolis.

AlexF

Necropolis literally means 'city of the dead', but could it also mean 'zombified police?' Either way, it's better than ToD.
Kind of outrageous to have this epic ranked higher than Dead Man, mind!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

WhizzBang

Barrington Boots

Through the jungle by the river Styx
I've journed long and far this day
Lurking shadows in the parapets
Will never make me turn away
Darkened city veiled in crimson mist
Entombed in time without decay
Never thought it would be like this
It feels like I'm living inside a dream
But my mind tells me I'm
Lost in Necropolis
You're a dark horse, Boots.

GoGilesGo

Dark Jimbo

It already feels like I'm backing the losing horse, but it's Tour of Duty for me.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mikey

Necropolis for Ezquerra and a great big dose of epic Dark Judges. And nostalgia.

But Tour of Duty is friggin awesome.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

milstar

Ah, I quite liked Tour of Duty, but I gotta choose Necropolis. All the way.

Happy holiday!
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Both great, but Tour of Duty is ultimately more of a polished story and less reliant on vaudevillian camp.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge