Main Menu

Prog 2091 - Area of attack!

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 July, 2018, 09:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well that is another good Prog, with one absolute belting standout and one bait and switch missing ... I mean he really went and did it, didn't he!

Anyway we'll get to that. Dredd is brutally functional opener, its harsh and sharp artwork fitting for a story that feels so weighed down by function and technic that its lost a sense of fun and story. Still I've bought in and we'll see where we go with this.

The Order just keeps layering on the story, throwing more and more in, but doing it with a guile and energy that it never forgets its sense of fun and story.

A Terror Tale which feels a little out of time, is none the less really fun and engaging, and when it needs to be suitably creepy and why don't we have more David Hitchcock in the Prog plase?

So last week's Grey Area, the title of this two story don't seem to be the bait and switch I was expecting... though there is one panel, thrid page, third panel, that makes makes me think that its still to come and I'm really enjoying this so I'm giving Dabnett and Harrison the benefit of the doubt on this one.

But let's be honest if you've been enjoying Deadworld to this point this is the story to storm to the top of your charts this week. Bloomin' brilliant and this turn of events, assuming its not going to twisty turn on us is most welcome and opens the series up quite supremely. Just fantastic stuff.

So over all very good Prog, thank you Tharg... if you have to keep that bait and switch you owe me a little longer so be it, entertain me like this and I'll happily wait...

Darren Stephens

The art on Dredd this week is absolutely gorgeous.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Frank

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 21 July, 2018, 10:03:24 PM
Mark Harrison and some sort of P****

Remember the days when Mark Harrison got grief for drawing female characters wearing so little clothing the only part of their anatomy not on display was that depicted above?

McNulty

I mostly enjoyed this weeks prog but for a couple of things. The Terror tales' ending made no sense to me. Maybe I'm being a bit dense, but what am I suppose to make of it? [spoiler]Is Quilli real after all or is the child so believing of her father she is having a psychotic episode?[/spoiler] I also have an issue with this week's Deadworld episode. [spoiler]Judge Death's father was executed when Sidney was a boy. I am no doctor, but I am sure that death by electrocution would speed up the deterioration of a body. Also, Judge Death never showed any indication of madness when it came to bodies before. Why is he treating the corpse of his father like Norman Bates did his mother? Finally, we have Judge Death reach into the chest of the would be assassin and stop her heart. It is stated that this talent is new to him. Hang on though, just after Sidney was transformed into Judge Death by the Sisters, he went over to the Hall of justice and did that very same thing to the Chief Judge. [/spoiler]
That being said, the Dredd is starting off nicely, the Order is weird as always and Grey Area was really sad.

wedgeski

I stared and stared at the Dredd artwork this week. Absolutely magnificent! The Order continues to be of no interest, I'm afraid. The Terror Tale made little sense... I'll give it another read later. Deadworld is a pass until it's complete. Grey Area top class as always. Not a massive hit-rate for me right now, but I still enjoyed the prog a lot.

Now for some more quality time making Anime heart eyes at Dredd.

Magnetica

I thought the art on Dredd this week was generally really good, but a couple of things seemed a bit off to me: the Judges' helmets looked odd and also Dredd's stance looked strange to me.

BPP

Cover - ahem. Fantastic. Fans should be gushing in praise for that cover.

Dredd - pretty solid opener but agree the helmets (an aesthetic choice) looked a bit crap. What appeared to be a C20th fire hydrant surprised me too. And the story-telling around the cars destruction wasn't too clear - I only worked out the persons laying waste to the Justice Dept wagon [spoiler]were the people previously in the car [/spoiler] due to the conversation with Hersey after [spoiler]initially I assumed they were other members of the gang[/spoiler]. But good. Lots of stuff - action, story, justice dept politics to get ones teeth into. Kudos to Chris Blythe's colours too.

The Order - trade-waiting this

Terror Tale - this was really good. It was a bit decompressed but that was filled with nice stuff and the story kept moving. The ending seemed open-ended ([spoiler]the daughter is evil or the doll is real and took a new host[/spoiler] but that's fine. It works well and was a great use of the art droid's style too. Great work all round.

Grey Area - me sad. Hate you guys.

Deadworld - sorta anti-climatic after what happened in Grey Area. Tharg defo should have switched their order as 'cheap' deaths mean less after grieving for departed much-loved characters. But god this is still a good strip. More!

Absolutely firing prog - top marks all round. Off to read Droid life and damage report now..
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

A.Cow

SIP

Anyone still waiting on this prog to arrive? Mine is MIA.

Trout

That Deadworld story is totally sick, in two ways.

broodblik

The prog is still going strong

Dredd - the art is fantastic and the story is looking very promising

The Order and Deadworld - there is two things common about both of them and it is the stellar story telling from Kek-W and both brilliant artists suites the story.

Grey Area - [spoiler]RIP[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

glassstanley

Loved the Terror Tale. Art stood out frm the rest of the Prog, story was straightforward. More like this please.

Max Headroom

ZARJAZ!! (Especially Dredd & Deadworld).

Tiplodocus

If there's no body, they ain't dead.

Still it's pretty much all Zarjaz stuff; wasn't 100% on the Terror Tale and having THE ORDER (with it's no establishing panels ethic) and DEADWORLD and GREY AREA (where you need to drink in the page before working out how to read it) mean the prog takes time to read.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!