Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

Mabs

Quote from: Apestrife on 05 February, 2014, 09:23:21 PM

A nod to the original perhaps.

But if I remember correctly, didn't they say "lose the arm", i.e, the good arm? For me, far from being a nod, its a two fingered gesture to the original film!

QuoteI like alot of the ideas José (the director) are throwing around, but I'm being careful not believing all of it made it into his film.

I agree.

Also, quite a contrast in reviews from Empire and Total Film, esp. when the latter is more or less a sister mag to the former....well sort of.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

radiator

Quote from: Mabs on 05 February, 2014, 09:34:03 PM

But if I remember correctly, didn't they say "lose the arm", i.e, the good arm? For me, far from being a nod, its a two fingered gesture to the original film!

QuoteI like alot of the ideas José (the director) are throwing around, but I'm being careful not believing all of it made it into his film.

I agree.

Also, quite a contrast in reviews from Empire and Total Film, esp. when the latter is more or less a sister mag to the former....well sort of.

In what way? They're keen rivals if anything and are published by different companies.

I'm not going to go out of my way to see this, but if I find myself at a loose end or some mates want to go I might give it a chance.

Mabs

Quote from: radiator on 05 February, 2014, 09:39:46 PM

I agree.

In what way? They're keen rivals if anything and are published by different companies.

I'm not going to go out of my way to see this, but if I find myself at a loose end or some mates want to go I might give it a chance.

Really? I swear when I was reading Empire a while back, they'd advertise Total Film in their pages. It would seem a bit odd to do that if they're from different publishers/ are rivals as you say.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Apestrife

I agree.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, that they removed it in the original (but in this one they don't). Two fingered gesture? The way brittish people uses two fingers instead of the middle f-u finger?

I think they choose to leave his hand attached as a way of giving him something human to hold on to. But yeah, it looks a bit strange considering it couldn't function nearly as well as his robotic one (if it's not a synthetic one that is.)

Mabs

Quote from: Apestrife on 05 February, 2014, 09:47:41 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, that they removed it in the original (but in this one they don't). Two fingered gesture? The way brittish people uses two fingers instead of the middle f-u finger?

I think they choose to leave his hand attached as a way of giving him something human to hold on to. But yeah, it looks a bit strange considering it couldn't function nearly as well as his robotic one (if it's not a synthetic one that is.)

I don't know if us British have a preference for one over the other! I think we're quite a tolerant bunch!  :lol:

@Radiator: you're right, they do have different publishers. Quite odd to see Empire advertise a rival on their pages....

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Goaty

Hawkmumbler

I was wondering if we would ever see that again! :lol:

Mabs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 February, 2014, 10:03:08 PM
I was wondering if we would ever see that again! :lol:

LOL! Goaty is a Legend!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

"Lose the arm " or "Give the man a hand!"
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Claudia, Danny and Peter were not particularly kind to it on Film 2014. 

"Spectacularly failed to get the point of the original".

As an aside, I really like the set up for Film 20xx these days. Winkleman actually seems to have found a programme that fits her easy unstructured presenting style and I love that the Danny chaps loves movies about people chopping each other up in a way that Barry Norman would have hated.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Quote"Spectacularly failed to get the point of the original".

Should it try to though? I mean, a cyborg cop is hardly weighty subject matter - surely the remake should do something different with it?

People like to intellectualise Robocop*, but in reality it's a schlocky B-movie first and foremost - the satire and all that is just there to give a little bit of substance.

*See also 'Dawn of the Dead is a satire of consumerism' - no it's not, it's a zombie movie - even Romero says the satirical elements were an afterthought.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 06 February, 2014, 01:13:27 PM
Quote"Spectacularly failed to get the point of the original".

Should it try to though? I mean, a cyborg cop is hardly weighty subject matter - surely the remake should do something different with it?

People like to intellectualise Robocop*, but in reality it's a schlocky B-movie first and foremost - the satire and all that is just there to give a little bit of substance.

*See also 'Dawn of the Dead is a satire of consumerism' - no it's not, it's a zombie movie - even Romero says the satirical elements were an afterthought.

This is exactly what I thought.

Spaceghost

Apparently they left him with a human hand to avoid any legal issues regarding a criminal being shot by a 'robot'. That's what I heard anyhoo.

I won't be seeing this at the cinema but I'll watch it at home. Probably. I never watched the Total Recall remake though. Not interested.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...