Main Menu

Adventures of Milo

Started by Thread Zero, 25 October, 2001, 10:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

I have a great idea for a 2000AD story.

Lets call it "Milo". The adventures of.

About a smug useless piece of talking turd who criticises others but doesn't have the intelligence, wit or imagination to offer anything creative himself.

I am sure you can write it Milo

After all, it is autobiographical...

scojo's echo

fraston

Milo'd  do a good job i reckon. i've read his stuff and I like it: witty, well crafted, easy to read and thought provoking (all in the right small doses) and seemingly unforced.

and i've only ever known him to be smug on 2 occasions. and justifiably so.

Frazer

pauljholden

" have a great idea for a 2000AD story.

"Lets call it "Milo". The adventures of.

"About a smug useless piece of talking turd who criticises others but doesn't have the intelligence, wit or imagination to offer anything creative himself.

"I am sure you can write it Milo

"After all, it is autobiographical...

scojo, it's only autobiographical if *you* write it.

Thread Zero

That is why Milo can write it dumbo!

If you look up the word in the dictionary it says and I quote:

Autobiographical
"An account of a person's life written or otherwise recorded by THAT person."

As i said Milo should write it, I was right and you are wrong.

Better luck next time....

scojo

pauljholden

Oh ! I get it! you were suggesting it was Milo who was
'"...a smug useless piece of talking turd who criticises others but doesn't have the intelligence, wit or imagination to offer anything creative himself. "

Somehow I thought you were talking about YOURSELF! how silly of me...

(but of course! you think your half formed shambolic notions ARE creative!)

Thread Zero

Answer me this.

Will the new Dredd films not use existing storylines from 2k?

If they don't,then you are right to criticise me for my Dredd screenplay ideas.

But they will, so you are wrong yet again.

scojo

pauljholden

eh?

"Will the new Dredd films not use existing storylines from 2k?

Yes it will. In one form or another.

"If they don't,then you are right to criticise me for my Dredd screenplay ideas

Maybe it's old age, but are you claiming that your ideas are to reuse those ideas that have already been used in the comic?

In which case, exactly what is your original contribution to those ideas?

Thread Zero

Corruption and Judge Death are unoriginal ideas for any future Dredd film and yet they seem to be the most likely to be used as storylines.

My clone corruption idea is only one of several ideas I have in mind.

But knowing you, any idea I suggest will be of "the done that" variety so I cannot win.

Just to state a fact, there has not been a Judge Dredd story in which a super criminal manipulates the Judges clone technology in order to destroy them.

I think my idea has potential.

The Judda storyline was about cloned super judges. Mine will be different.

Using Judge Death will probably be too similar to the original Judge Death story.

If I wrote a Death storyline I would add some new element to it. Such as Death enslaves a certain element of Deathworld's as his slaves and then decides to bring back to Deadworld some of Mega City's citizens to experiment on. Maybe he is losing his immortality or something and needs the lifeblood of a vast number of live citizens to sustain him.

Dredd would have to go to Deadworld possibly to rescue the citizens of Mega City 1.

It is just an idea.
How does that sound Mrcomicus?

scojo

pauljholden

"If I wrote a Death storyline I would add some new element to it. Such as Death enslaves a certain element of Deathworld's as his slaves and then decides to bring back to Deadworld some of Mega City's citizens to experiment on. Maybe he is losing his immortality or something and needs the lifeblood of a vast number of live citizens to sustain him.

"Dredd would have to go to Deadworld possibly to rescue the citizens of Mega City 1.

"It is just an idea.
"How does that sound Mrcomicus?

Bloody awful. But, y'know. That's just my opinion.
Like everything else, it sounds like an idea (neither good, bad, nor indifferent) not a story.

Thread Zero

So Anderson being possessed by Death is good then?

As will almost certainly be the case with the Dredd film.

Well is that better than my idea?
Tell me.

scojo

pauljholden

pauljholden

well... Anderson is a central character who many readers have a strong emotional tie to. Because of that people care whether she lives or dies - as Death has possesion of her it means that in order for Dredd to save his entire city he has to kill her. Your idea (which, to paraphrase: Death takes people hostage dredd goes to deadworld) doesn't really say much. Who cares about these people? There's no emotional tie to any of these people.

Still, it's an unfair comparisons - in my mind Anderson being possessed by Death is a story, whereas what you've written is a half an idea.

Post A STORY. A short, 5 paragraph story. Or even a synopsis of your movie script (cus, NO movie mogul will read the script until they've heard some sort of snappy synopsis)

Matt

Wow, you were a busy lot last night. Anyway, for what it's worth here's my thoughts on the script for the Dredd movies. I can't see what is wrong in using existing storylines for the basis of any Dredd screenplay. Let's face it, these films aren't being made for just us fanboys to enjoy. There isn't enough of us to make that a commercial success. No, a new film will be for an international audience made up of non-Dredd reading viewers. So any film maker can't just assume that it's audience will be familiar with Dredd, his world or the characters that exist within it. As such you can't just dive straight into the action & present a brand new storyline that assumes a familiarity with the character. Take Judge Death for example. You can't invent a brand new storyline for him without having first explored his origins & motivation. So any film that does involve Death will mostly be based on his first appearance in 2Kad. Remember that Death is just Dredd but taken to the extreme, so any film would have to explore both Dredds motivation & the juxtapose that with Death. And all of that in just 2hrs. C'mon Scojo, your Deadworld story won't work here. You won't have enough time to explore both characters to make a comparison between them with all this extra storyline getting in the way. In a sequel maybe, but not in his initial appearance. It's not a crime to use existing ideas. Look at previous comic book films - Batman, Superman, Xmen. All these first films have to lay the groundwork behind the character, his world and his opponent for it to work. So I don't think it's realistic to expect a brand new, ground breaking script. Not in the first film anyway.

Matt

Thread Zero

I agree. It was mrcomicus who was saying that it must be a super original idea!
Not me!

scojo