Main Menu

Fighting Fantasy gamebooks/comics. Anyone a fan?

Started by Michael Knight, 03 August, 2017, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 06 August, 2017, 09:55:32 PM
[showing off] I've got just over half of the original books. I've got an A1 size print of that Titan cover framed on my wall. And I've got an original commission by Russ Nicholson: [/showing off]

Nice!  I'm lacking about two or three gamebooks (pretty sure I have all the original run, but there were a few extra books published under later imprints, which reprinted some of the original books in a different order and mixed up new books with them). 

No original commissions or A1 prints of the Titan cover, but I did bump in to the artist, Chris Achilleos, at a local monthly metal night a few years back.  I did mention that cover being one of my favourite book covers of all time, but I don't think he was impressed that the work he'd done in the three decades since hadn't had so much impression on me...  Speaking of which, the metal club in question moved venues and is now just up the road from me - next night this coming Saturday...

How many issues will Freeway Fighter run to?

Richard

There were six new books by Wizard Books (one of which was going to be book 60 of the Puffin series before it was cancelled), and Port of Peril is the seventh new one. Night of the Necromancer is excellent (you die at the start and spend the whole book as a vengeful ghost).

List here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fighting_Fantasy_gamebooks

JOE SOAP

During my FF days I got one of the Quest Packs for Christmas of '84. FF was my only incursion – along with Grail Quest and Dice Man – into the outer-edges of the RPG world. I didn't have the patience or the will for any of the real stuff, nor did I know anyone who did, but FF was great to get lost in for a few hours.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Michael Knight on 06 August, 2017, 09:43:09 PM
Issue 3 is even better! Really hope we get more Fighting Fantasy comics if Freeway fighter is anything to go by.

Andi is champing at the bit to do either Deathtrap Dungeon or City of Thieves, I think. I would very much be up for that. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Have to get hold of that Freeway Fighter, afraid I never saw it the comic shop, and I don't do the ordering thing.

Of the newer generation of FF books, I've only played Stormslayer by Jonathan Green (really enjoyed it!) and only just started Blood of the Zombies, which is all kinds of odd, with a new system for fighting hordes.  I also greatly enjoy playing the the Android versions of the old ones, which have the lovely option of using (inferior) new art and modern page layout, or the pure originals.

One of my odd habits is trying to collect all the various Solo Adventure Gamebooks series from secondhand/charity shops alone, with an individual spend limit of €2.  I know I could grab them all on eBay/Amazon, but it's a real thrill when I find a new one, and at that price I don't feel guilty about indulging myself.  The quest's the thing.

The two series that have completely escaped my delvings thus far are The Cretan Chronicles (which I played  at the time, and which you can download on http://www.abandonia.com/en/gamebooks, if you are so inclined: I'm not) and Blood Sword (the Dragon Warriors solo series).  One day...

Satanist

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 August, 2017, 09:17:47 PM
Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:08:33 PM
Damn, I'm officially jealous of that piece of art, whichever of the fantastic illustrations it is from that book.

It's this one - the first illustration in the book:

At least now I know who outbid me  :'(

Have Port of Peril winging its way to me as couldn't find it in any shops at weekend.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Woolly

I've found a website hosting all 20 issues of Proteus magazine...
https://annarchive.com/proteus.html

Honestly never thought I'd see these again!

JLC

Quote from: Woolly on 07 August, 2017, 09:59:25 AM

Brilliant! One of those things I didn't remember until seeing this!

I, Cosh

Quote from: JLC on 07 August, 2017, 10:16:41 AM
Quote from: Woolly on 07 August, 2017, 09:59:25 AM
Brilliant! One of those things I didn't remember until seeing this!
Same! Definitely had a few of those, but I don't remember it as clearly as Warlock magazine, which the same chap has helpfully archived...
We never really die.

Greg M.

I knew this thread would turn Proteus-ward sooner or later. I've still got the first twelve issues around somewhere. #8 (Treasures of the Cursed Pyramid) and especially #10 (The Triad of Evil) are personal high-points.

TordelBack

Ah Proteus! Truly the md-80s were a time to be alive. Did the somewhat later Irish mag Fantasy Chonicles have much distribution in the wider world?

Satanist

I actually just picked up the 2 player fighting fantasy in Oxfam last week. Looking forward to trying it out with my eldest.

The Sorcery! apps are well worth a try, they even have a rewind feature  :lol:

Beyond the Sorcery! books Deathtrap Dungeon and City of Thieves were always my favourites.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2017, 11:28:47 PM
Quote from: Michael Knight on 06 August, 2017, 09:43:09 PM
Issue 3 is even better! Really hope we get more Fighting Fantasy comics if Freeway fighter is anything to go by.

Andi is champing at the bit to do either Deathtrap Dungeon or City of Thieves, I think. I would very much be up for that. :-)

Though DD was my first FF, City of Thieves remains my favourite (not counting the Sorcery series).  Probably the first fantasy city I explored, even before Imrryr.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2017, 01:05:27 PM
Ah Proteus! Truly the md-80s were a time to be alive. Did the somewhat later Irish mag Fantasy Chonicles have much distribution in the wider world?
I don't recognise any of these and there's not much of this ilk which would've slipped past me in 1986!
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2017, 08:20:31 PM
I have no vested interest in asking whether anyone's been reading the Freeway Fighter comic from Titan. None. No, sir. But, if you liked that Coleby/O'Grady pairing from the art/colours on Jaegir, you're missing a treat. :-)

What hold on this is out. Thought I'd ordered this from my LCS. Damnit another one to track down.