Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 January, 2013, 11:45:06 PM
Anyone fancy keeping an eye on Japanese box office! Be interested to see how it does in Hondo.

With that good Japanese trailer? Hope so...

The Sherman Kid

Now the proud owner of one Dredd DVD which arrived in the post yesterday.Having already watched it 14 times at the cinema I naturally sat down to watch it immediately  :D .Yup still love it.

One thing though, I noticed the extreme left and right were chopped a bit (even though I'm watching it in widescreen on a widescreen TV).When Ma-ma is making her speech to peach trees  on the mic, when Dredd is close up interogating Kay and part of Lex's 'meat grinder' take on Mega City one, I can barely see their mouths and I don't see the Joe Soap billboard at all because its chopped.Bit puzzled by this.Maybe all films are slightly chopped when converted to dvd and I've never noticed before or is it something else??Anyone else have this problem?

Went into HMV Blackpool today (a big store) and Dredd is well advertised, but couldn't find a copy.They had completely sold out!Yes !The guy said it sold out very quickly too.Excellent.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 20 January, 2013, 02:25:36 PM
One thing though, I noticed the extreme left and right were chopped a bit (even though I'm watching it in widescreen on a widescreen TV).

I've both US and UK versions and neither are chopped at the sides. Full 2.40:1

thelawgiver

Haven't been on this forum for a number of weeks. Watched the Dredd film yesterday after searching for it all over (the HMV and shops in York didn't stock the DVD, and I had to walk miles out to a Sainsburys to buy the Dredd DVD).

I know most people will have said their opinions on the film and that I'm coming late to the table. But I just wanted to state my opinions and query a few things about the film.

- Dredd felt to be like a great film but with the potential to spawn much much better sequels with much bigger budgets.
- Did Dredd have a relatively small budget???
- I loved Karl Urban as Dredd! I hope that a better sequel script will give Urban chance to say more snarled and defiant Eastwood-esque lines as Dredd.
- I wasn't crazy about the direction of the film. But the sets were excellent. The designs for thelawgiver, the judges outfits etcetera were perfect. I also respected that they may have had a lower budget than most blockbuster film productions and so kept it confined to the one mega block.
- I also have to say I still wouldn't have cast Olivia Thirlby as Anderson though she did an adequate job. (I would have cast Amber Heard).
- Basically; for a sequel I would like a new scriptwriter and director. I would also like Dredd roaming a more expanded mega city with additional 'big' actors as other characters or villains. I would take a leaf out of the book of Star Trek/Star Trek; Into Darkness by adding western elements to Dredd sequels. Dredd is the archetypal western lawman and upholder of morals and justice. If the budget for the sequel can't reach to the expansive CGI of the Mega City then why not set the sequel in the Cursed Earth (again reaching into western sensibilities). But at the end of the day Dredd is a film like Mad Max crying out for an exploratory sequel.

PS is it just me or did the quality of the DVD leave something to be desired compared to the excellent quality of my Dredd cinema experience.     
Twitter = @snarlsbukowski

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 January, 2013, 02:29:06 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 20 January, 2013, 02:25:36 PM
One thing though, I noticed the extreme left and right were chopped a bit (even though I'm watching it in widescreen on a widescreen TV).

I've both US and UK versions and neither are chopped at the sides. Full 2.40:1

Your right.Just used my computer to watch it, there is actually a LOT more chopped off than I thought because it plays normally on the laptop.For some reason when using my Xbox 360(dvd player has stopped working) it chops the sides ,even in widescreen format.Can't understand why.Any techies out there know how to fix it?

The Sherman Kid

Ignore last post -fixed it.X-Box was set to normal screen -doh  :-[ :)

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

hazy efc

I noticed the whole movie was on you tube in portuguese  >:( they better take it off

Buddy

With all the DREDD DVD love goin on they (whoever 'they' are) need to re-release DREDD in the cinema (even for a limited time) to give all the reformed doubters a chance to see it on the big screen (maybe not ALL in 3D this time) and give it a shot at a sequel.

Dredd is gettin universal praise from all sides... act quick! Release it again!

Steve Green

It's not going to happen.

A theatrical re-release is even less likely than the practically non-existent option of a theatrical sequel.

On another note, Arnold's new R-rated pic for Lionsgate has not opened well.

$6m opening weekend box-office, similar to Dredd's take.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/the-last-stand-bombed-arnold-schwarzenegger_n_2519725.html

JOE SOAP

It'd cost more to re-release it theatrically.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Lionsgate are so bad at marketing films it's unbelievable.

Steve Green

They did alright with Hunger Games and Texas Chainsaw.

Goaty

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 21 January, 2013, 09:28:26 PM
Lionsgate are so bad at marketing films it's unbelievable.

Maybe no one wants to see Arnie in anything other than a Terminator film.