Main Menu

The Complete Ace Trucking Co.

Started by Ace Garp 1969, 25 September, 2008, 04:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dom

Havent got volume 2 but came across an old 1987 annual last night and read the Ace Story "Homecoming" in it.... I was just wondering if this was the last ever Ace Trucking strip and if it is included in volume 2( I presume it is). If this was the last ever story what a downer way to end it. And it wasnt even "down" in a humourous way, just really, really down! I think they should revive Ace in the weekly. Alan Grant should pick it up again since hes not doing much else in the prog at the moment. Failing him, Al Ewing would be great on it with art by PJ or Nick Dyer maybe... The one thing missing from the superb prog at the moment is a good light-relief strip.... Samantha Slade seems to have vanished and that wasnt all that humourous the last couple of stories anyway. I cant think of anything else thats been in the weekly lately that can be classed as light relief, not since the last Banzai Battalion story a few years ago anyway....

Yep, I think Ace Trucking Co would fit right back into the prog and be a welcome addition. Who do we need to talk to about this!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

The Monarch

That was indeed the final appearance of ace and it is kind of a downer...

I personally think ace should be left in the past I really do not want it to end up the way robohunter did (not referring to Millars version although thats a crime in itself)

Mark Taylor

Having recently read both volumes cover to cover, the ending was a downer, yes, but almost all of the rest of it is just sheer, wall-to-wall, mind wrenching genius! Evil Blood is one of the best villains ever.

The only bits I don't like are the episode where Tharg pulls Ace out of a drawer full of other 'dead' comic characters, and Tharg's appearances in the strip in general. I find them a little bit jarring. I think it's because I prefer to lose myself in the 'universe' of a story, even if it is a story full of absurdist humour like AceTrucking.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: "Mark Taylor"The only bits I don't like are the episode where Tharg pulls Ace out of a drawer full of other 'dead' comic characters, and Tharg's appearances in the strip in general. I find them a little bit jarring.

Personally, while I groaned a bit at the first appearance of Tharg I thought his appearances later on were inspired lunacy of the highest order.  [spoiler:2h59w9cn]The idea of characters griping about their storylines and demanding that each other be written out, with Tharg stuck in the middle, had me laughing like an idiot.[/spoiler:2h59w9cn] Maybe it's just me.

I got the impression that some of the above was down to Wagner and Grant taking the piss a little, as if they were tired of writing the character and weren't taking it seriously any more. I seem to remember something along those lines being mentioned in TPO but I may be wrong cos I skimmed that bit to avoid spoilers, as I read it between VOLS 1+2 Of Ace. I'd check but most of my books aren't readily to hand at the moment. (No fixed abode issues, stuff dumped all over the shop)
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Grant Goggans

Even more than the "Whatever Happened To" episode, I like the one where Ace starts screaming how this whole mess is Tharg's fault, prompting Tharg to order Belardinelli to add another giant monster to the plot!

The Monarch

I miss That tharg the one who was portrayed as a dick