Main Menu

TV Tonight - 24 July

Started by The Amstor Computer, 24 July, 2006, 08:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Just having a flick through the paper at lunch & I noticed there were quite a few bits & bobs on tonight that other boarders might find interesting, so:

DUCK SOUP
FilmFour
6pm

Classic Marx Brothers comedy, and well worth an hour or so of anyone?s time.

LEFTIES
BBC2
7pm

Last in this interesting Beeb series, tonight focusing on the left-wing paper, the News on Sunday.

THE AVENGERS
BBC4
7.10pm

Retro fun - and the perfect antidote to another dull Monday at work.

MEAN MACHINES OF WAR
Five
7.15pm

No idea what this programme?s like, but I?d be willing to risk it as tonight?s episode is about the de Havilland Mosquito, one of the finest warplanes ever built.

WAR OF THE WORLD
Channel 4
8pm

The final episode in this frustrating, fascinating alternate history of the 20th century.

CARTOONISTS ON THE FRONT LINE
BBC4
8.30pm

A profile of Guardian cartoonist, Steve Bell.

STILL GAME
BBC2
9pm

The final episode in another cracking series of Still Game, and tonight Jack & Victor go to visit Winston in his new seaside home.

SAXONDALE
BBC2
10pm

Fifth episode in the quirky new Steve Coogan series. An acquired taste perhaps, but I?ve certainly been enjoying it so far.

GHOST WORLD
FilmFour
11.25pm

Rounding off the evening, Terry Zwigoff?s wonderful adaptation of Daniel Clowes? odd, touching comic.

---------------------------

Anyone spot any other interesting programs on tonight?

The Enigmatic Dr X

SPOILER

REALLY, A BIG ONE

WELL, IT IS IF YOU LIKE STILL GAME...

HERE IT COMES...

According to the writers all of the cast get killed off tonight. They did this in their last radio show too (the radio version of Chewin' the Fat) and were banned by the BBC for doing it on the TV version (*). Possibly, but not for certain, the killer is some kind of mad axe-man.

(*) The sketch involved the Big Man going crazy and killing everyone. The BBC decided to keep the show as a Hogmany special and didn't allow this.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I should caveat that by saying they might have been taking the piss - I did read it in the Daily Record, after all!
Lock up your spoons!

CraveNoir

LEFTIES BBC2 7pm
Last in this interesting Beeb series, tonight focusing on the left-wing paper, the News on Sunday.

The News on Sunday had a colour strip by Milligan/McCarthy, and possbily the work of other droids.

Bolt-01

Mills/Fabry did a strip as well. Scatha the witch woman.

Bolt-01

Buddy

Ah bloody bugger'n pish...

Gonna miss Duck Soup, damn and blast and it'll be long over by the time I get home from work..

Still, havn't seen ghost world and looking forward to that and The Fifth Element is on before it.

Really enjoying Still Game, although I never seem to remember when it's on and so have missed a bucket load. One or DVD I think.

Good nights telly there.

Buddy

Tomorrow night:

17:40     Horse Feathers [b & w]    
(1932) The Marx Brothers go to college to cause mayhem and uproar in this riotously inventive film. An anarchic triumph of the comic imagination, Horse Feathers has more ingenuity in a single gag than most comedy features have in their entire running time.

Fantastic!!

18:55 Explorers

(1985) Joe Dante's much-underrated sci-fi film. Three kids (Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix and Jason Presson) are obsessed with aliens and science fiction. Inspired by some strange dreams, they manage to build their own spaceship. At first, they just enjoy the thrills but they soon find the military interested in their exploits as well as beings from another system...

Love this.

And Duck Soup is on again next sunday: SING HOSANNA!!!

Film Four could well be the saviour of television.

The Amstor Computer

Good stuff - must see Explorers again, loved it when I was younger. The FilmFour lineup looks interesting over the next week or so, and I?m just hoping they keep some variety and don?t front-end all of their best/most interesting stuff into the first couple of weeks and then dump wall-to-wall repeats onto the channel for the rest of the year?

House of Usher

You are so kind! Unfortunately I'm not watching telly tonight. I'm going out. But if I was staying in, magic!!
STRIKE !!!