Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

I ordered a second copy as an Xmas gift so I guess that copy will be available again soon.

Hurry, it'll be snapped up in days.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

sheldipez

klute

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

hippynumber1

Well that was fucking pointless wasn't it!  :lol:

ming

Quote from: sheldipez on 20 August, 2013, 06:11:15 PM
Some more stirring reporting from bleedingcool on Zenith

I'd suggest saving yourselves 30 seconds of pointless reading; skip that link - just check the Grauniad tomorrow instead.

Colin YNWA

Is the news that news is possibly on the way really news... but then much as I read it and enjoy Bleeding Cool Rich Johnson is always at pains to point out he's not a journalist... it shows.

glassstanley

From The Grauniad:

"Those early works, from Gideon Stargrave to Captain Clyde, are sadly unavailable in print today, but one particular title from the late 1980s made headlines earlier this year. Rebellion, the publisher of 2000AD, announced it was planning to reprint Zenith, Morrison's subversive superhero strip. Shallow, sarcastic and frequently used as a way for Morrison to criticise the Conservative party, the hero's five-year run in 2000AD ended in 1992. Zenith has been out of print ever since, due to a legal dispute over who owns the rights. So Rebellion's announcement of a £100 preorder-only hardback complete collection raised rather a lot of eyebrows, with Morrison unable to comment. But, choosing his words carefully, the writer is now able to talk a little about what's happening.
"Well, it's very simple," he begins with a wince. "We, uh, we spent five grand on lawyers' fees. They sent [Rebellion] letters. We were very keen to discuss it and we've never heard back from them. All I can say is that we tried to get into a discussion with them and they just didn't reply. I don't know what to do at this stage." "

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Well that reveals very little, as would be expected. Lets start to guess how Rich Johnson reports it. I'll go with

Headline: Rebellion refuse dialogue with Grant Morrison over Zenith reprints

and content to include "Grant reached out to the publisher" "Rebellion refused to engage in discussion" and the obligatory "I here rumours of more action coming" and "expect updates to follow."

Tordalback with your genius for mimicking writing style I say to you get at it and out Rich Rich.

hippynumber1

Quote from: glassstanley on 21 August, 2013, 08:22:05 AM
From The Grauniad:

All I can say is that we tried to get into a discussion with them and they just didn't reply. I don't know what to do at this stage." "

No point getting into a discussion if you believe you own the copyright, I suppose...

ming

In case it's not immediately obvious from the title of the article, the link below is to the explosive Zenith Wonder Woman Grauniad piece...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/21/grant-morrison-wonder-woman

Basically, for The Zzzenith stuff, skip to the end.

TordelBack

QuoteHe seems genuinely upset, not least on behalf of those fans on a tight budget who will find £100 rather stiff.

Zenith is 480 pages, hardback, limited run.  That's roughly equivalent page count to a putative 3 volumes of All Star Superman in hardback, which would cost you about £60, new, and will sell vastly greater quantities.  So it seems about right. 

Somewhat less upsetting for the fans than not being able to get it at all, mind

Jim_Campbell

Oh, please!

"Poor old Grant, all he's ever wanted was to put out a mass-market volume of Zenith priced so that the fans could afford it but heartless Rebellion rebuffed his advances, preferring instead to put out this over-priced tome to swell their coffers."

I genuinely don't know how Sneddon has the gall to put her name to anything described as 'journalism' where Morrison is concerned. And I say that as a huge fan of Grant's work.

Bah.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

opaque

If a few letters that had no result are what he spent £5000 on he was ripped off.
Mind you if he has no proof, no justification for stopping anything there's nothing any lawyer could do.
Or he's lying about it all. Who knows.

Frank

The publishers reached a compromise with everyone else who created original strips for them under the contested terms on which Morrison's grievance is based. If either of the parties were particularly concerned about making the work available to readers at reasonable price they would have settled their differences long ago under the same terms which mean we're not reading Pat Mills presents 2000ad and The John Wagner Megazine.

I presume those terms involved a big bag of cash in exchange for assigning their copyright to the publisher, and I assume Morrison's problem was that the bag of cash on offer (which Yeowell accepted) just wasn't big enough. It'll cost Morrison more than five grand in lawyers' fees when he continues his principled stand and tries to assert his ownership of DC/Vertigo work for hire creations Seaguy, Sebastian O, Kill Your Boyfriend and The Mystery Play.