Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

...because the Kepler telescope is working well so far, but on the other hand this is what passes for academic comment on CNN:

Quote"It learned that this planet is like 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit. That is so hot." ...said Judge Janus Sara Seager, a professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Kepler science team member.

Like rilly.  

Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/08/08/space.kepler.discovery/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 August, 2009, 07:21:50 AM

Like rilly.  

CNN's reporter went on to say: "Dude! 4,000ªF ...? Like, no way!" to which Professor Seager replied "Totally. It's, like, an extreme planet, man! Extreme, to the MAX!"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

the shutdown man

I found the complete Nightmare on Elm Street collection in Xtra-Vision for €15, so naturally I nabbed it. I've never actually seen any of them, but I want to see at least the first one before the new one comes out.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Dandontdare

Quote from: the shutdown man on 10 August, 2009, 10:56:26 AM
I found the complete Nightmare on Elm Street collection in Xtra-Vision for €15, so naturally I nabbed it. I've never actually seen any of them, but I want to see at least the first one before the new one comes out.
The third one was a lot of fun, but the second should be taken from the house with tongs and buried in the garden, preferably unwrapped, definitely unwatched.

House of Usher

I had a one-hour meeting with a council tax benefit officer yesterday who agreed that it was stupid to request to see all my partner's receipts for the year up to the period of our claim, and that simple confirmation from the Job Centre should be sufficient. However, they haven't received it yet because the Job Centre is under-staffed and useless and has taken 6 weeks, and counting, to calculate my partner's entitlement to benefits. So rather than obtain the information they needed from the Job Centre, the council requested directly from us a whole lot of documentation they didn't even need, and which will cost them a lot more time and money to scrutinize. They still took copies of 15 pages of bank statements, which is bizarre because a) the Job Centre doesn't want to see them, or my partner's accounts, and b) the verdict of the Job Centre, when given, is sufficient for the council to base its calculations upon. I'm not entirely happy about having to hand over details of all my banking transactions for the past 2 months to the council unnecessarily, but at this point I'm content to let them waste as much of their time and my council tax as they see fit, regardless of the cost to my privacy.
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

There is a school of thought that thinks the Benefit/council tax/claiment process is deliberately Byzantine, kafkasque and infuriating just to put people off, others put it down to staff getting low pay, shitty conditions and burnt out, I think its a mixture of the two with the added spice/heavy hand of New Labour's big stick, little carrot mentality.   

Good Luck HoU, work out your hourly rate money saved vs time spent on this you nevber know could work in your favour
DDT did a job on me

House of Usher

On the bright side, I went in the greengrocer's this afternoon and got 6 sweet potatoes for 50p and 62 limes for £1.00.

And I found 9p on the pavement on my way home from the Job Centre!

(that 62 limes. 62!!!)  :D   We're going make lime marmalade. And Moscow Mules.
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just checked Watchmen on new Blu-ray and it's gorgeous

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kerrin

But we're gonna have to wait till 2016 for Olympic golf. Sheesh, how ever will I contain my excitement...

House of Usher

Quote from: House of Usher on 13 August, 2009, 05:39:36 PM
We're going make lime marmalade. And Moscow Mules.

The lime marmalade's coming on a treat, but no Moscow Mules as yet. Instead we had Park Avenues, Bennetts and Daiquiris.

Another 18 cocktails to work through as long as the supply of limes holds out. Perhaps I should go back for another tray.
:)
STRIKE !!!

Trout

I tried adding just a little more milk and less eggs to my latest batch of quiche, and I quite like the change.

- Trout

Peter Wolf

Quote from: King Trout on 14 August, 2009, 02:47:34 PM
I tried adding just a little more milk and less eggs to my latest batch of quiche, and I quite like the change.

- Trout

Try using cream sometime as well.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 10:50:03 AM
Perhaps I should go back for another tray.

I just read that back again and it sounded ambiguous. I meant another tray of limes, not cocktails.
::)

P.S. Don't add any cream to quiche! Yuk. That's what ruins the ones you get from the supermarket. It adds unnecessary calories too that would be better devoted to beer or chocolate.
:-X
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 02:55:33 PM
Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 10:50:03 AM
Perhaps I should go back for another tray.

I just read that back again and it sounded ambiguous. I meant another tray of limes, not cocktails.
::)

P.S. Don't add any cream to quiche! Yuk. That's what ruins the ones you get from the supermarket. It adds unnecessary calories too that would be better devoted to beer or chocolate.
:-X

I didnt know supermarket quiches had cream in or even eggs for that matter as they usually contain egg powder.I cant eat supermarket quiches as they are vile.Not worth eating.

I dont find it ruins them as if you dont add too much it just makes it a bit richer but i think what you mean is if you add too much it makes the egg mixture too sloppy.

Try Onion tart which is delicious.Caramelise a load of onion [nothing else needed] in butter and add the egg mixture the same as Quiche .Its a french recipe.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death