Main Menu

Scarred For Life Volume One - a book about dark 70s pop culture

Started by Stegron, 29 March, 2017, 04:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegron

Hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know about a new book by myself and co-author Dave Lawrence, Scarred For Life Volume One.

It's a 740 page tome about growing up with all of the wonderfully dark pop culture of the 1970s: scary kids' shows (The Owl Service, Sky, Children of the Stones etc)  to, bleak adult dramas (Callan, Doomwatch, 1990, Survivors etc), sci-fi & horror (from Blakes 7 to Sapphire and Steel, A Ghost Story for Xmas to The Omega Factor), shocking public information films, violent kids' comics, horror-themed toys, games, sweets and crisps, pulp horror novels, savage horror films and the paranormal boom of the decade!

2000 AD, Action, Misty, brutal girls' comics... They're all in there, and many more besides.

It's huge: 740 black and white pages for £16.99, or a full colour eBook for £5.99. Every physical copy comes with a free eBook (the instructions for downloading it are on page 2 of the hard copy).

Here's the direct link to the hard copy, if anyone's interested:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/stephen-brotherstone-dave-lawrence/scarred-for-life-volume-one/paperback/product-23116461.html

And for the PDF:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/stephen-brotherstone-dave-lawrence/scarred-for-life-volume-one/ebook/product-23116544.html

I think it'll be right up a lot of forum members' streets. Hope you enjoy it!

NapalmKev

Quote from: Stegron on 29 March, 2017, 04:31:01 AM

...shocking public information films...

I remember a particularly bad one where a young lad gets his feet cut off by a train. The policeman knocked on the door and, holding up the lads football boots, says to the mother "He won't be needing these any more!". Dark stuff!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Stegron

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 March, 2017, 10:55:12 AM
Quote from: Stegron on 29 March, 2017, 04:31:01 AM

...shocking public information films...

I remember a particularly bad one where a young lad gets his feet cut off by a train. The policeman knocked on the door and, holding up the lads football boots, says to the mother "He won't be needing these any more!". Dark stuff!

Cheer

That was a lovely little public information film called 'Robbie', presented by Peter Purves in full-on Alan Partridge mode!

walrus

I ordered this early on Friday and cannot wait to get my hands on it. I am really looking forward to reading this.

Spikes

Came across the build up for this by chance on FB a month or so ago, and mightily looking forward to grabbing a copy.

Payday on Friday it is!

Lobo Baggins

I've actually been waiting for this to come out for years!

Ordered it on release day, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Eamonn Clarke

Reading it now. Delighted to find that it starts with some of the same creepy children's TV shows that we have covered on the British Invaders science fiction podcast. Excellent articles so far.

AlexF

As someone born in 1978, I'm curious to know if people think I'd enjoy this? It sounds like exactly my sort of thing, only I never got to watch a lot of the shows described above - will the book just leave me sad for a childhood I didn't have, or is there plenty of socio-cultural analysis to keep me entertained?

Perhaps I should wait for the follow-up, which can help me relive nightmares about Knightmare, Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, and Waddington's Horror Top Trumps.

Proudhuff

Ha! Have Children of the Stones and Singing Ring Tree in my pile of DVDs to watch.

Will ask the Library to get this book.
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 April, 2017, 12:10:33 PM
Ha! Have Children of the Stones and Singing Ring Tree in my pile of DVDs to watch.

Nice coincidence, have Children of the Stone and The Owl Servive lined up.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 April, 2017, 01:29:55 PM

Children of the stones is great. Took me ages to track down as I couldn't remember the title and had patchy recollection of what it was about.

Got a bootleg DVD as it's not been released officially
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 05 April, 2017, 11:39:31 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 April, 2017, 01:29:55 PM

Children of the stones is great. Took me ages to track down as I couldn't remember the title and had patchy recollection of what it was about.

Got a bootleg DVD as it's not been released officially
What side of the pond are yoy, BCB? Children of the Stone got an official DVD from Network a few years ago, still in print.

Bad City Blue

In the UK, when I got it there was no DVD but it was probably 4/5 years ago.

walrus

My copy arrived yesterday. Had a quick flick through it last night and cannot wait to get stuck in.