Main Menu

Marvel films thread.

Started by Goaty, 15 July, 2012, 11:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

No ordinary Racoon, a genetically modified Space Racoon.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 17 July, 2012, 04:52:35 PM
especially in the context of the established Marvel film universe.

Which, thus far, has been far more willing to demonstrate a sense of fun and not take itself too seriously, making the films rather more like the idea of Marvel that lives in my head than the dour, joyless, impenetrably interconnected toss they seem intent on publishing as comics.

Cheers

Jim

(I've said it before, but I find it baffling that little Jimmy Hypothetical can wake up in the morning, take his lunch to school in his Spider-Man branded lunch box, faff around in the playground on a Spider-Man skateboard, go home and watch Spider-Man films or play Spider-Man console games before changing into his Spider-Man jammies and turning in beneath his Spider-Man duvet. The only people that don't want to sell him product are Marvel Comics.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Cape wearing Gods like Thor have been introduced into the pseudo science based universe of Marvel without much kerfuffle. A genetically altered Racoon charged to take care of mental patients ain't that much of a leap between those fictional parameters.

radiator

QuoteCape wearing Gods like Thor have been introduced into the pseudo science based universe of Marvel without much kerfuffle. A genetically altered Racoon charged to take care of mental patients ain't that much of a leap between those fictional parameters.

Yes it is. It really is - and I suspect that you're just playing devil's advocate here.

Thor just about worked because there was a vaguely plausible explanation offered - Asgardians are a race so advanced, their tech resembles magic to us. It also helped that they played all the Norse mythology stuff dead straight, and just as it was all getting a bit tiresome and po-faced, they plonk him on Earth and the film suddenly flips, radically alters the aesthetic and becomes a 1980s fish out of water comedy.

If they can think of a similarly clever way of doing Guardians of the Galaxy (ie, do as I imagine they will and deliberately annex it from the Earthbound Marvel films, it might work - somehow - but they really do have their work cut out for them. People simply aren't going to buy RDJ's Tony Stark sharing the screen with a cartoon raccoon and Marvel will have lost their minds to try and pull that off.

judgeblake

Quote from: JamesC on 16 July, 2012, 09:48:22 AM
I hope that GOTG turns out to be everything that Green Lantern could have been but wasn't.

Green Lantern is totally nuts with loads of goofy stuff in it which they tried to sideline in favour of a mainly earthbound plot and the romance angle. It turned out the main problem most audiences had with Green Lantern was that it was fucking boring, not that they couldn't handle the fantasy aspects.

I think Radiator's probably right in saying that the film will work better if it stays away from the Marvel Earth that's already been established. I wouldn't mind a couple of Asgardians popping up though.

I liked green Lantern - the film could have been a sight more dull, and I liked the alien element. But all the 'earth' scenes seemed to have been written by a different person - perhaps the writer of Top Gun lol

judgeblake

1) i can't help but thinking the whole phase 2 of Marvels superhero movie releases seem to try and predict and counteract an inevitable spurt of DC movies leading up to a JLA movies? - The only reason's I can think of for Marvel to push Guardians of the Galaxy to the forefront of Marvels movie calendar would be to A) make a kids orientated movie leading into a universally commercial Avengers 2 and B) to beat an alien orientated JLA/green lantern 2 movie to the punch.

2) with fringe obscure characters like GOTG coming to the forefront ahead of others - surely a Captain Planet movie is on the horizon lol

3) after 2013 and 2014 when encroaching on marvel phase 2 and maybe even at the latter end of phase-one for DC movies - surely the 'market' may get saturated in superhero movies and people get fed up with it sooner rather than later???

4) out of all the marvel announced releases the one I'm actually looking forward to the most is the unanounced Punisher movie (smirks).

5) just a note on Avengers 2 - maybe whedon has already chosen his giant man and his wasp, additions to the sequel - here's a pic most people have probably seen posted/tweeted by Fillion I think of a grouping at Joss Whedon's house of Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Anthony Head to name a few with Nathan Fillion (Giant Man?) and Felicia Day (Wasp?) in attendance.

Jared Katooie

Everyone loves Rocket Racoon except you Radiator.

Everyone in THE WORLD.

James Stacey

Never heard of it. But he's not endearing himself to me.

vzzbux

To go back a bit with the nasty evil Ewoks. Logray (Ewok Medicine man) was a force sensitive and followed the path of the dark side.
My thoughts on the Ewok arrows penetrating the armour. Perhaps they were made of a substance tough enough to treat the armour as though it was butter.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

judgeblake

Just to wade in give my two pennys worth and wade out again =

Ok Ewoks are a daft race of carebears who seem overly violent for cutesy panda eyed treehuggers - but if you've got a 100 of the buggers threatening to runup your trouser leg and cut your gonads off you'd be scared too!

Professor Bear

They were originally Wookies in the early script drafts of Rewengay of the Jedi, though this changed at some point.  Possibly when someone asked why the Empire would build their most strategically-important structure on a planet full of brutal cannibal giants that don't like the Empire.

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: Professah Byah on 18 July, 2012, 01:22:32 AM
brutal cannibal giants that don't like the Empire.

That's no way to talk about the Irish.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

They were originally Wookies in the early script drafts of Rewengay of the Jedi, though this changed at some point.  Possibly when someone asked why the Empire would build their most strategically-important structure on a planet full of brutal cannibal giants that don't like the Empire.

I doubt it was that thought out. More like Ewoks make cuter toys.

'A toymaker that makes films' is what Lucas calls himself in this interview, six years before he'd really get into the toy business with Star Wars:

http://www.viddler.com/v/fcb4b61e

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 18 July, 2012, 01:24:26 AM
brutal cannibal giants that don't like the Empire.

That's no way to talk about the Irish.

We still beat you.