Main Menu

SHORT STORY COMP - THE APOCALYPSE WAR

Started by Bad City Blue, 24 May, 2016, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Aye, thats a corker Zippo, loved the twist ending. Talk about reaping what you sow. :lol:

Echidna

The Judge Who Came in from the Cold

"Were you followed?"

"No. I don't know. I don't think so."

"The last time we talked you sounded somewhat concerned."

"You'd be concerned too if - look, can we talk here? I mean, is it safe?"

"I assure you this is the very safest of safe houses, Alec. Please, sit down. Would you like a cup of tea?"

"No thanks. I've never understood the appeal of that stuff. Anyway, it's illegal back home. I don't know why I don't report you."

"Now, now, we all have at least one vice. Mine is a harmless habit I picked up in Brit-Cit. Yours is a blonde you picked up here in East-Meg One."

"Yeah. Actually, that's why I needed to see you. She - I mean, I'm not certain, but I think she's, uh..."

"Sov Secret Judicial Service, yes. It seems some habits aren't so harmless."
"You knew?"

"I had my suspicions. One of our other operatives alerted me to a potential security risk."

"Grud, why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought it better to let things play out. It never hurts to let the opposition think they know something you don't. Besides, there's very little she could have learned from you."

"But she knows where I sleep, drokk it; if they put a Psi anywhere near me they could have extracted passwords, encryption keys, operatives' identities..."

"Oh, I shouldn't worry about that. Your codes and passwords are out of date, and any operatives you might have compromised have already been relocated. We're dismantling the entire network."

"What? You mean we're just giving up?"

"My dear Alec, Justice Department never gives up. Plans, however, have changed. The Cold War is over. The present situation calls for a more direct approach. As we speak, Judge Dredd himself is flying here in a stolen Strato-V to put an end to this whole ghastly affair. Not my preferred strategy, admittedly, but these are desperate times. As for us... we've been out in the cold for too long, Alec."

"So we're all going home?"

"Not all of us, I'm afraid. It might raise suspicions if the Sovs noticed all the rats leaving the ship at once, so a few brave souls will be staying on. Agents whose absence would be noticed. Or whose cover is already blown."

"Oh Grud."

"It's all right, Alec. You've done your city proud. The information you've supplied us with over the last few years has been invaluable. It's a pity about Orlok, of course, but you can hardly be blamed for that. Your recent indiscretions, however..."

"Grud, I'm sorry. Please, I - "

The silenced Lawgiver coughed, ever so quietly, and Alec slumped forward in his seat. Judge Smiley stood up and placed the gun carefully in its holster. As he opened the door he noticed that his glasses had steamed up. He removed them, wiped them on the fat end of his tie, and closed the door softly behind him.