Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackstarr

Fallout 3 is indeed an excellent game, but I don't know that it fills the brief of spaceship horror - and it's probably even less of an RPG than System Shock 2...

If you're not familiar with the Fallout series, the 1st two are effectively turn-based top-down RPGs, good but incredibly dated now, whereas the 3rd game (by a different developer) brings it smack up to date - check out the trailer at http://vimeo.com/54537099

There's a DLC for it set on a spaceship, but it's more Mars Attacks than Dead Space.

Fallout New Vegas is by the developers of the first two games, but using the engine of the third.  It's more of an RPG but at the same time a lot more linear and railroaded than Fallout 3.

I've not played Vampire the Masquerade, so I can't comment on that.

mimikeke

Well, I actually work on the Sims at EA, so I can't really comment on anything on Dead Space.

A good game I've been playing is Wolf Among Us on PS3.  I really enjoy the Walking Dead game by Telltale, Wolf Among Us uses the same engine.  Fun if you don't really want to think and like choose-your-own-adventure type games.

HOO-HAA

Is there anything RPG like that set on a spaceship? More point-and-click, story/ dialogue-based as opposed to FPS style. Even if not horror.

mimikeke

Have you tried Mass Effect?

HOO-HAA

I gave it a little go whenever it came out. Is it more strategy than shooter? What's the controls like on the PC?

Link Prime

You'd never use a typical controller instead of the keyboard & mouse Hoo-Haa?

If you would, the Dead Space trilogy is your obvious answer.

mimikeke

Well, someone else is going to have to help me here, I haven't ever played it even though we publish it haha.

I believe it's an action RPG.  It has dialogue trees which let you make a lot of decisions I think.

I'm going to guess since there are 3 it's pretty decent on PC.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 February, 2014, 06:55:23 PM

I don't think there was the option on the copy I have, Prime. Just keyboard/ mouse.

And then there's the jerky graphics...

HOO-HAA

Quote from: mimikeke on 11 February, 2014, 06:59:41 PM
Well, someone else is going to have to help me here, I haven't ever played it even though we publish it haha.

I believe it's an action RPG.  It has dialogue trees which let you make a lot of decisions I think.

I'm going to guess since there are 3 it's pretty decent on PC.

I might give it another whack, if I can grab it cheap.

Link Prime

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 11 February, 2014, 07:07:28 PM

I don't think there was the option on the copy I have, Prime. Just keyboard/ mouse.

I believe it works ok with an X-Box 360 wireless controller, but ain't 100% sure.
If you find the graphics too jerky that can't be helped though!

You could skip to the slicker graphics of DS2...the plots so convoluted you probably won't miss much!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I played all three on PC with an Xbox controller (wired 360 controller - plugs straight into USB)
Lock up your spoons!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 February, 2014, 07:45:57 PM
I played all three on PC with an Xbox controller (wired 360 controller - plugs straight into USB)

Ah... that's good to know! Thanks, doc :)

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 February, 2014, 07:45:11 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 11 February, 2014, 07:07:28 PM

I believe it works ok with an X-Box 360 wireless controller, but ain't 100% sure.
If you find the graphics too jerky that can't be helped though!

You could skip to the slicker graphics of DS2...the plots so convoluted you probably won't miss much!

DS2 does indeed appeal.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Sod that.

Play Mass Effect. Play it NOW.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

You want space opera? You want RPG?

Hell, just looking at these has me reaching for the discs. Again. The Mass Effect 2 and 3 trailers (2 especially) are among the best trailers I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLDN2tJp2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsdVkRli0ic
Lock up your spoons!