Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

So if he dies it will be upgraded to moderate?

Rately

Quote from: von Boom on 03 October, 2020, 12:35:16 AM

Mild symptoms. President is working hard. President in good spirits. President has a low grade fever. The President is on an experimental antibody cocktail. What the actual Fuk? Not to be heartless, but I hope he pulls through, so he can serve a lovely, long prison sentence for his shithousery.

If he dies, I'm assuming the rest of the Presidential debates will be a Weekend At Bernies affair, with Eric and Don Jr getting into ever more hilarious scrapes.

von Boom

Quote from: Rately on 03 October, 2020, 01:29:11 AM
Quote from: von Boom on 03 October, 2020, 12:35:16 AM

Mild symptoms. President is working hard. President in good spirits. President has a low grade fever. The President is on an experimental antibody cocktail. What the actual Fuk? Not to be heartless, but I hope he pulls through, so he can serve a lovely, long prison sentence for his shithousery.

If he dies, I'm assuming the rest of the Presidential debates will be a Weekend At Bernies affair, with Eric and Don Jr getting into ever more hilarious scrapes.
:lol:

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 October, 2020, 03:17:05 PM
Current conspiracy theory doing the rounds is that Trump is faking it so he can avoid the remaining debates.
By contrast, the most complicated that a Trump conspiracy theory gets is that he told a lie to dodge work.

It looks like it's getting better.  Another one floating around is that Trump was deliberately infected the last time he had a medical check up.

I think it is fair to say that psychologists are going to have a field day with a lot of this.  The ways in which some of Trump's supporters are adjusting their logic to fit the facts into their distorted reality ....

:-\ :crazy:

Jim_Campbell

In hugely amusing news, Republican Senators are now coming down with Covid so fast it looks like they may not have enough available to attend the necessary votes to confirm their Supreme Court pick.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Project Lincoln and one of their members, Rick Wilson, have tweeted that they are receiving information in droves from staff finally fed up and at breaking point, with the information leaked both terrifying and remarkable.

Within the White House, Wilson says the infections and potential infections constitute a national security crisis of the first order.

JayzusB.Christ

At the very least, it's nice to have a break from the screaming gibbon for a few days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 October, 2020, 11:55:20 AM
At the very least, it's nice to have a break from the screaming gibbon for a few days.

Nah, he's still got access to twitter.

JayzusB.Christ

A smarter and more self-aware man would feel a sense of humility and remorse right now.  I won't be counting on it - this will, I suspect, be China's fault if and when he gets his energy back.   On the other hand, it's often said that Johnson has never quite returned to his old, bouncy* self after succumbing, though that might partly down to the pressures of a job he doesn't know how to do.

*which is not to suggest for one minute that he ever had a shred of decency to go with his exuberance.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

I've been reading The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt, which was based on study of ethical decision making from people across the political spectrum.  The findings were basically that people on the left tend to not really care about things like tradition or respecting authority, but put a lot of emphasis in fairness and making sure people are protected from harm.  For right-wingers, tradition  and "purity" are much more important ("Sov-rin-tee!/build a wall!"), but their interest in the wellbeing of others extends tends to only go as far as their ingroup. They care deeply about the other members of their team, but much less about "others". 

So many people in the Republican inner circle quickly finding out that the Trump inner circle consists of Trump.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Modern Panther on 04 October, 2020, 03:12:48 PM
I've been reading The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt, which was based on study of ethical decision making from people across the political spectrum.  The findings were basically that people on the left tend to not really care about things like tradition or respecting authority, but put a lot of emphasis in fairness and making sure people are protected from harm.  For right-wingers, tradition  and "purity" are much more important ("Sov-rin-tee!/build a wall!"), but their interest in the wellbeing of others extends tends to only go as far as their ingroup. They care deeply about the other members of their team, but much less about "others". 

Fascinating stuff - could be my next audiobook purchase (I fly through them these days).

Quotefinding out that the Trump inner circle consists of Trump.

You could possibly include the object of his grubby little sexual fantasies, Ivanka.  Cheap shot? Maybe, but most fathers don't boast about how 'voluptuous' their daughters' bodies are, and say they'd be dating them if not for that frustrating familial connection.

IndigoPrime

A little slice of good news from these parts: Mrs IP had her citizenship ceremony today. Turns out the local authority is rather friendly, acknowledged the stress and difficulty of the system, welcomed her to our county, and provided a bunch of pointers on how to register to vote, etc. Clearly, the HO could take some lessons from them!

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 October, 2020, 03:24:58 PM
A little slice of good news from these parts: Mrs IP had her citizenship ceremony today. Turns out the local authority is rather friendly, acknowledged the stress and difficulty of the system, welcomed her to our county, and provided a bunch of pointers on how to register to vote, etc. Clearly, the HO could take some lessons from them!

That's great news, IndigoPrime!

Tiplodocus

That is good news.

Less so is to see that our Prime Minister regards Human Rights as lefty, do-gooder nonsense.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack