Main Menu

modern Dredd graphic novels reading order

Started by rs_jr, 14 November, 2018, 04:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs_jr

Hi guys

Wanted some help in the reading order of Dredd trades post origins, is it:

1-Tour of duty : backlash then MC justice
2-Days of chaos: fourth faction then endgame then fallout.
3-trifecta
4-dark justice
5-titan and the dead zone
6-Every empire falls.

do i have the order right? am i missing anything?

thanks

Frank

Hi, rs_jr. That's the correct order of publication

CalHab

The webshop very helpfully gives details of each story in the collections, and you can check which prog they originally appeared in.

rs_jr

That doesn't seem a lot for the last 12 years of dredd
Are there a lot of essential material not collected?
When are we expecting the next dredd trade?

Thanks

Frank

Quote from: rs_jr on 14 November, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
That doesn't seem a lot for the last 12 years of dredd

There isn't much essential material, but a book every two or three years is about average for most of Rebellion's custodianship of Dredd.

To be honest, you could read books 3-6 on your list in random order without missing out. Most of them mention that Chaos Day happened, but it's not a crucial plot point and none of them pick up directly on events from DOC or continue story elements started there*

* Dark Justice explains that the Dark Judges escaped from PJ Maybe's improvised prison, but that detail's not essential to the story itself. That's not really much of a criticism - most of the post-Apocalypse War and Necropolis stories were just stories that mentioned there had been a catastrophe but could have been told just as well at any other time in the strip's history

TordelBack

Quote from: rs_jr on 14 November, 2018, 01:18:36 PM

Now that is a very interesting question. There is a lot in that list, Tour of Duty and Day of Chaos cover a lot of pages, but it's surely not everything essential

Quite a bit more of the quality of recent years found its way into the Hachette Judge Dredd Mega-Collection (for example the superb Al Ewing Deller sequence, or Mega City Confidential), and other chunks into the Dredd Megazine floppy collections (I'm thinking of Block Judge here).  But what important/excellent post-Origins stories haven't made it back into print in any form?

The first one that pops into my mind is Ladykiller.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 November, 2018, 01:57:39 PM
... what important/excellent post-Origins stories haven't made it back into print in any form?

The first one that pops into my mind is Ladykiller.

There's a sequel to Harvey* starting early in the new year. They'll get a book to themselves.

* The Wagner & McRea Mechanismo reboot

TordelBack

Yep, can't wait for that - Harvey was superb, Wagner's familiar trick of creating a sympathetic character out of the most unlikely ingredients, and McCrea's art was, ahem, electric. I really hope we see the next story usher in a permanent robot presence on the streets of MC-1. I know it won't, but the hope is real!

Going back to rs_jr's question, there has seemed to be a tendency to focus on Wagner-penned strips in the  Rebellion GN choices, to which Trifecta, Titan and Every Empire Falls represent a welcome change.  I wonder to what extent the drastically smaller yearly page counts we get from the great man affects the amount of recent non-Casefiles collections (12 years amounts to roughly 5000 pages of Dredd, if I'm not mistaken), as opposed to the economic considerations of producing new books while trying to sell over 100 chunky hardback collections over the past 4 years to much the same people.

rs_jr

But Dredd comes far more frequently compared to any other strip, you would figure he would get a trade a year.

Is there a limitation on page count for the rebellion trades?

I kind of wish we got a yearly Dredd trade that is around 450s pages which should be able to cover the prog, magazine and any special issues in the year and just label the trad based on in comic timeline, something like ( Dredd year 2135 ) and having them come out yearly

Frank

Quote from: rs_jr on 14 November, 2018, 02:56:58 PM
I kind of wish we got a yearly Dredd trade that is around 450s pages which should be able to cover the prog, magazine and any special issues in the year

I assume Tharg thinks that would cannibalise sales of the weekly comic (and specials). Some folk only buy 2000ad for Dredd.

The Case Files do that job eventually, but they're 20 quid for six months of stories - your Dredd annual would have to retail for £40 (maybe more, to compensate for lost prog sales)!

rs_jr

which hardcovers from the Dredd mega collection cover post origins stories and not collected by rebellion?

what post origins non DREDD trades do you guys think are essential or worth reading ?

Thanks again

rs_jr

if i read number 3 to 6 out or order will it spoil any stories?

thanks