Main Menu

Meg 398 - Meet the Strange Brigade

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 17 July, 2018, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Tuesday?

Great Tiernen Trevallion cover for a new thrill.

Judge Dredd Razorjack story ends with fabby art from John Higgins.

The Returners reveals how you make a modern Invunche, sort of.

Devlin Waugh gets in amonsgt them.

Karl Stock writes an interesting article about getting a Future Shock published in the prog. Should be of interest to many.

Then a two page special on the new Mongoose miniatures Strontium Dog game.

Chopper blows stuff up with a Kaleidoscope.

Finally the new title story from Gordon Rennie, Tiernen Trevallion, and Annie Parkhouse. Looks beautiful and starts very promisingly. It is another secret agency that battles occult threats for Her Maj's government which hopefully will tie in somehow with Ol' Harry Absalom and his crew.

I, Cosh

Cool. Is the lad on the right the one who disinterred himself in that last Caballistics story?
We never really die.

Pyroxian

Strange Brigade is Rebellion's new video game, so probably not linked to Caballistics, but you never know...

GordonR

There's absolutely no connection between the Strange Brigade game (and this comic strip spin-off) and Caballistics, Absalom etc.

I've been working on the game for the last year, and the thought's never even crossed my mind.

broodblik

I must say that I absolutely loved Strange Brigade, everything from the art to the writing styles of the story. Hopefully we will see more of this in the future.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Great Tiernen Trevallion cover for a new thrill. A little bit of wee escaped when I saw this  :D

Judge Dredd Razorjack story ends as we all knew it would  :-\

The Returners  was a bit lost there, and not that bothered that I was.

Devlin Waugh loving the new cut of his jib, and the sidekick getting [spoiler]blasted[/spoiler]  :o

Nice to see a two page special on the new SD Mongoose miniatures, can we win these in Dreddlines?

Chopper's Kaleidoscope Juddites looks nice.

Finally the new title story from Gordon Rennie, Tiernen Trevallion, and Annie Parkhouse. Looks beautiful and I was a bit wary of the tone at first but got in the swing...top hole!
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Well the main thing for me is that The Returners - which I've loved up to now, lost me a little. I mean I understood ths events in each section but I was a little lost as to whether it was all one woman, the invunche... but was it... it was right... wasn't it? Strangely still carried along and can't wait for more... but it was ... right...

Everything else was as you were. Dredd / Razorjack high concept fun, Chopper high psychodelic fun, Delvin Waugh high drama fun and Stange Brigade high scorin' fun. I'm more than happy with the lin-up right now and looking forward to a high standard in the wrap ups next Meg, clearing the decks, the currently wonderful decks for Meg 400.

Great as all that was the highlight was the floppie. I'm loving the variety in once disposible back up. We're had a glorious mix of some classics from the archieve, some great modern classics (all be it stuff I have normally - still a sign of quality) and the interesting an innovative Nemesis 'Monograph'. This month we get a great modern story I've not read (before my time back on with the Meg) and it was a treat. Just great stuff.

broodblik

Another great Meg with Strange Brigade taking the laurels and both The Returners and Razorjack close seconds. The rest a great and solid as well. Razorjack on the last few panels have a setup for a possible return in the future.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Max Headroom

The Enigmatic Dr X

Strange Brigade? Well, it's no Desert Strike.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Aaron A Aardvark

Strange Brigade top thrill for me this month. A really good first episode.

The Dredd crossover thing just bored me.

Everything else pretty good and enjoyed the Dan Francisco stuff a lot.

gameluvah

I know Strange Brigade is just a two-parter to promote the game but I wonder if there's any chance of it continuing as a regular strip. I suppose it will depend on whether the games does any good but I hope it does.

TordelBack

So, my first Meg in some time, received as a spontaneous pressie from my gem of a missus.  My first reaction, bloody hell that's a lot of content! Chucked into the latter parts of numerous stories, I should have felt lost and frustrated, but actually I was mainly intrigued.

Dredd: Razorjack:  No fan of inter-comic crossovers this squaxx, but Higgins'n'Hurst do their traditionally gobsmacking best, and despite the rather over-used third-party alien narrator and his [spoiler]"humans are the monsters!" [/spoiler]non-twist, I thought Carroll did a good job of making this interesting, even to someone who has never read any Razorjack, and was only coming in on the last part.  So yeah, it was surprisingly good!

The Returners: Not a notion what's going on, or who anyone is, but Assirelli's art!  And de La Cruz's colours! And the invunchey woman!  And if any Dreddworld location can carry a series, it's CB. I'm going to have to get caught up, because these were some amazing, involving pages.

Devlin:  My first non-Smith DW, so I'm predisposed to hate it on principle if nothing else.  But I don't. Dowling's art is just perfect, and from this snippet Devlin's voice sounds fine.  I'm so confused, maybe I'll learn to hate it later?  I was however struck by how Devlin's look - Noel Coward's head on Arnie's body - is now almost mainstream with the proliferation of the gym-obsessed hipster.

Chopper: Again, Chopper actually died in Supersurf XI, so I always approach any new story with deep suspicion - but this looks absolutely amazing and reads well.  Pretty clear to see what's going too. Great to see McCarthy back drawing the uniforms he designed, although I miss the shorts. 

Strange Brigade: Very good fun, if not wildly original.  Makes me wish it actually did tie into Cabs Inc or Absalom in some way.  Impressed by how subtly and sesnitively the risky Imperial stereotypes, and their language, are handled, that can't be easy.  I  want to see more and play the game now, so job done. 

Articles: solid Future Shock piece (is McConville really only on board since 2016!  Holy crap, he's prolific!), teasing bastard of a Strontium Dog minis piece.  Hey Tharg, how's about running the odd scenario  for this and future Warlord outings?

Floppy: the Francisco solo strip is something I have never been able to get into, I think I just can't imagine him returning to his old gig after everything that happened, but it works better in a single chunk, and there's some great Marshall art. 

A comic in very rude health. Will I buy next month's? Probably.

broodblik

TB you are stating at a point where everything is either ending or going to end in the next issue.  Stuff like The Returners is something I believe that it is difficult to pick up if you have not read the preceding chapters.

But for me Meg is really grate the last few years

But Meg #400 surely looks great: https://www.newsarama.com/40567-rebellion-september-2018-solicitations.html