Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: radiator on 07 July, 2011, 05:58:52 PM
I was watching the Extended Special Edition and wasn't expecting the very cheesy alternate ending, which is set in the future where we see Sarah Connor in old lady make up, and John Connor playing with his daughter. Never even heard such an ending existed! Much preferred the ambiguous ending of the original cut.

I've seen that ending as a 'deleted scene'. Have they actually added it to the end of the film on the Blu-ray? If so... yeah I agree. Bad form. The original version was better. As an interesting deleted scene, it's worthwhile though.

radiator

There's three different versions of the film on the BD - the Special Extended cut you have to access by entering a PIN code.

In addition to the alternate ending, there's a scene where the T1000 searches John's room in a creepy way, and a couple of other bits and bobs (I think).

Harry Potter spoilers follow: [spoiler]Old person make up always sucks. I heard a suggestion that they'd cut the '19 years later' epilogue from the final Potter movie because the old person make up was looking too comedic - be interesting to see what makes it into the finished film.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 07 July, 2011, 07:10:37 PMI've seen that ending as a 'deleted scene'. Have they actually added it to the end of the film on the Blu-ray? If so... yeah I agree. Bad form. The original version was better. As an interesting deleted scene, it's worthwhile though.

What would be wrong with adding it as an option on the blu-ray?

SmallBlueThing

Evil Dead 2, with both my boys.

A bit of a red letter day this, as they've been a bit reticent to watch this as it looked 'way too frightening', apparently. Tonight, i told them i was putting it on and they were welcome to come down and join me if they wanted. A couple of minutes later, they sheepishly poked their heads around the door and crept in.

An hour and a half later Sam Raimi has two new fans. They absolutely loved it, beyond words. They laughed at all the right bits, got scared at all the right bits, and declared it 'awesome'.

As for me, ive not seen it in about a decade, if not longer, and its still one of the best possible ways ever invented of spending 85 minutes. Sheer brilliance for every lunatic second.

SBT

Van Dom

Evil Dead 2 is in my top 5 favourite movie list. Once again, cant imagine watching this with my kids just yet, but I think its cool you can do that with yours. Wish  my dad was as awesome as you! Wish I was as awesome a dad as you!!! :) But you know, my kids get scared of Doctor Who episodes, scared to the point of wanting to turn them off, so.....horses for courses I guess! :)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, gooses and ganders, etc. My two have had horror stuff around them since birth, and know if they want to watch something or not, and refuse if they dont. They still get scared of bizarre things- my eldest runs howling from the room if that ccbc show with the puppet hyenas is on! But both love makeup effects and seeing how they're done. Im sure i have two budding savini /nicotero /bottin wannabees on my hands.

What i tend to do is go by my gut instinct and then check it out if i cant remember the details, using the parents guide on imdb or, for a massive laugh, capalert.com. It's really the general theme and tone im thinking of, along with any sex and language. Nudity is fine, 'fuck' makes me think twice (for the record ED2 has one 'fucking', but it's quick and they missed it), but fantasy horror (poltergeist, the fog, evil dead 2, army of darkness, etc) is usually a safe bet. Sadly, American Werewolf and The Thing fail due to sex and language, which is a bugger. Bram immediately ran to the shelf and grabbed Drag Me To Hell and asked for that next...
SBT

Professor Bear

SBT - probably no help at all, but I've found digital copies watched on the PS3 to be handy for navigating around saucy bits when younger viewers are in the room as you can push the square button on the controller and it brings up a little bar along the bottom that shows tiny little thumbnails of the film in increments of 15, 30, 60, or 300 seconds.  Just enough to get around the sauce without skipping entire scenes, and the thumbnails are just small enough that if you're flicking past them nobody can make out what they are unless they know ahead of time.
You might also want to introduce them to the new Teen Wolf show, too - it might be about teenagers who want to have sex, but there's no actual sex in it and the werewolf stuff (apart from some goofy Big Wolf On Campus-style makeup on the regular cast) is done sparingly and effectively for the most part.  Not a great show (it is, after all, made by and for MTV), but clearly someone on staff at some point realised that what they really needed to do was forget about making a teen comedy about a hairy kid who wants to get laid and instead get all the 8 year old girls watching Vampire Diaries to think Teen Wolf was more of the same and then they would make them shit themselves.
But hey, it's a show made to make people stop watching Vampire Diaries - it deserves props just for that.

Space Battleship Yamato
- on one hand it's sad to see Japanese cinema lose some of it's proprietary quirks in favor of Hollywood-style bombast and asplosions, but on the other, it's fun to see how easily they make a daft, loud, overlong and visually impressive space epic that pretty much doesn't need a US remake.
The plot has been a little tweaked form the original show: Earth is an irradiated wasteland after being bombarded to buggery by evil space aliens, so beardy Captain Akito takes the planet's last starship on a desperate mission to a planet on the other side of the universe that promises an anti-radiation device to rejuvenate Earth - except the mission is nothing but bullshit concocted by the terminally-ill captain to give the people of Earth hope in their final days.  The Gamilus aliens have been redesigned, the Yamato is a new ship rather than a retrofitted wreck, and the ending has been lifted almost entirely from the terrible Arrivederci Yamato despite that being so reviled it was ignored in Yamato canon even by the people who made it, but all in all it's a good update and a decent shooty spaceship thingy with none of the questionable female objectification that usually plagues Japanese sci-fi - all the more impressive in a summer when US films like X-Men First Class can't say the same thing.

TordelBack

How to Train Your Dragon.  With the exception of a wholly inappropriate voice for the lead and the inexplicable inclusion of Jonah Hill (a ubiquity law that needs to be repealed), that was pretty much a perfect movie.  Some lovely design, and some beautiful flight-and-fire animation.  Highly recommended.

Keef Monkey

Machete. Expected more to be honest. Still, Michelle Rodriguez. Just...gosh.

COMMANDO FORCES

JACKASS 3 which was quite enjoyable and it helped pass the time while 3 other films finished downloading  ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

SAW 3D, please dear God let this be the last one! Obviously the death scenes are quite elaborate but the story just winds me right up but then again the deaths just draw me in, like a moth to a flame  :-[

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Professah Byah on 10 July, 2011, 10:49:09 PM
SBT - probably no help at all, but I've found digital copies watched on the PS3 to be handy for navigating around saucy bits when younger viewers are in the room as you can push the square button on the controller and it brings up a little bar along the bottom that shows tiny little thumbnails of the film in increments of 15, 30, 60, or 300 seconds.  Just enough to get around the sauce without skipping entire scenes, and the thumbnails are just small enough that if you're flicking past them nobody can make out what they are unless they know ahead of time.

When you say "digital copies", I take it you mean "not DVDs"? I'll check into it, but we ususally just stick a disc on. Thanks for that though, anyway- it's always nice to have options. It'd be good to remove the shower/bed scene from American Werewolf for them. Mind you, I'm still waiting to see the infamous "twenty minute licking-out scene" that Trevor Slater assured me was in the uncut version, back in 1984. Unless HE WAS LYING!  ;)

SBT

Van Dom

Saw Spaceship Yamato in Japan last christmas....it was the second movie in a run of two however and by that stage my internal Japanese translator was shutting down on me so I couldnt concentrate enough on the language to figure out what was going on. Looked lovely though. I've never seen the anime so not sure about how true to that it was. I need to check this out again though, with subtitles, for proper understanding. (Scifi stuff is always hard to understand in Japanese because they tend to use words and language you dont learn in books or classes!)

Seconded about Saw ....they do scream out "watch me" to me, and every time I do watch one I want to punch the screen.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

SmallBlueThing

Chicago.

Oh, dear grud. Now, in principle, i have nothing against musicals. In fact, i quite like them, and im a big fan of the kind of sleazy, 30s chicago, murder, sauciness and songs that this promised. But, snekking drokk it was dull. You probably know the songs, but i can tell you quite honestly that each and every song ive seen better performed by drag queens in backstreet bar burlesque revues. Queen Latifa's 'momma be good to you' is utterly dismal, and cz-j's 'all that jazz' so badly choreographed as to be hilarious.
The cast are, to a man, dreadful. Cz-j is flat and completely lacking in the kind of damgerous charisma the role needs, warren beatty is just an arse, full stop. And her from bridget jones in the lead role as Roxie Hart is skeletal, gawky, saddled with unflattering hair and cant seem to decide if she's in a farce or not.
Just horrible, all told.

The big screen is kind to some of the dance routines, using cinematic techniques to lift them above their stage-bound limitations, but there's never an iota of the imagination displayed, that was spurting all over the screen in the sublime Moulin Rouge.

Mildly more professional than Burlesque (the cher/xtina one), but not as entertaining.

SBT

Tiplodocus

I remeber enjoying Chicago more than I thought I would but that's about it.  I don't recall Warren Beatty being in it at all.

Anyway, talking of dance routines, just saw ZATOICHI for the first time.  Great stuff.  So many bonkers little bits of plot and character that don't actually go anywhere and possibly the most wtf fininsh to a movie I've seen in a long time.  It took me a minute or two to realise that it was Hatochi's wife commiting sepuku and not the Naruta girl. At least I think that's what it was. 

I do love the perfectly mannered nature of these films - like English period drawing room mysteries where everybody circles each other politely rather than just going "Bugger! They are on to me" and starting a big fight.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!