Main Menu

A Couple of Ideas for Rebellion

Started by GrudgeJohnDeed, 11 June, 2018, 03:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

I was playing through Sniper Elite 4 again recently and it's definitely the best one yet, especially with the co-op, but I'm perhaps getting a little WW2 thematic fatigue with it. Rebellion also have a ton of 2000ad properties, why not mash them up?

Stealth some Dredd into the global consumer's diet for example. Sniper Elite: Cursed Earth, a game where you play an SJS Judge ordered off into the cursed earth to take down the leader and top brass of a rapidly growing insurgent mutant army that has taken over a load of townships and will soon be knocking on the walls of MC1. Rumour has it the leader of the army is a Judge that took the long walk 20 years ago.. If possible it could continue the Sniper Elite trend of opening up and go fully open world, with a big desert littered with occupied villages and townships that you can attack from any angle.

Awful, murderous, rapey mutants will make quality x-ray fodder in lieu of Nazis, and it would be extra fun to line up a 3-in-1 headshot on a mutant with three heads or just getting to see all the weird insides of different kinds of mutants. Does he have a brain in his bum? It might not always be obvious the best way to kill one, especially the more powerful mutants!!

The other thing I was thinking about - if Rebellion havent had their arm bitten off yet behind the scenes by a big rich developer wanting to make the open world Mega City One Dredd game we all want, have they considered offering it to Microsoft? With Sony making Spiderman exclusive to PS4 and MS absolutely crying out for new exclusives of their own, that could be a great way way to get the funding a Dredd game deserves!

JamesC

In terms of licencing appeal you can't compare Dredd to Spider-Man.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Oh I didn't mean they're equivalent in popularity

JamesC

I'd love to see a really good Dredd-world game but I don't think the big open-world thing is ever going to happen. I think the best bet for the character at the moment would be one of those Telltale Games style point and click story games.
A good way to go may be to have you play as a cadet on a hotdog run - the good ending would be qualifying as a Judge, the bad would be everyone dying and there'd be a few in between.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I like that idea for an adventure game, especially because of the very different outcomes baked in to the premise, the choices in those kind of games sometimes feel a bit shallow with the outcome basically the same for everyone. The ones I've played anyway. Maybe the worst, worst ending if you go berserk always shooting first asking questions later is you accidentally release Judge Death with an errant round and cause your own Necropolis. :D

Sandman1

Quote from: JamesC on 11 June, 2018, 06:03:13 PM
I'd love to see a really good Dredd-world game but I don't think the big open-world thing is ever going to happen.

It could definitely be done if the concept is good enough and if you can gather the right people behind it. When I'm finished with my education and hopefully manage to acquire a job at a game developer, I will try to pitch my refined concept (?) to the top brass.       
Error...

GrudgeJohnDeed

Godspeed, Sandman!!

Further expounding on the X-ray mechanic, there could be an X-ray scope that you can use to actually probe targets for signs of vital organs before you take the shot. There would be a limiting factor, like a short use time followed by a long cooldown, or maybe perhaps the X-ray scope is so strong the target will quickly start to cook and go aggro if you look too long :D

Krakajac

With Cyberpunk 2077 just around the corner, the best bet for a Dredd related game might be some kind of fan-made mod or overhaul.  Not sure whether Cyberpunk 2077 will allow for modding - in the same way that Fallout 4 and Skyrim have been modified?  The city in C2077 seems tailor made for Dredd. :)

Sandman1

Quote from: Krakajac on 16 June, 2018, 09:47:15 AM
With Cyberpunk 2077 just around the corner, the best bet for a Dredd related game might be some kind of fan-made mod or overhaul.

Where does this pessimistic assumption come from? The absence of an ambitious Dredd game isn't some kind of verification of anything.   
Error...

flesario

It would cost a fortune to do an open world Dredd game that stood up, rebellion couldn't afford it and the licence isn't attractive enough surely?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Sandman1 on 16 June, 2018, 03:31:46 PM
Where does this pessimistic assumption come from? The absence of an ambitious Dredd game isn't some kind of verification of anything.

Possibly the absence of that level of capital.

The Witcher 3, he notes, cost well over $85 million in the end (PLN 300 million), although he also emphasizes that only $25 million (PLN 90 million) were direct production costs, with other costs showing up as indirect expenses; CyberPunk is expected to be more expensive.

https://gamingbolt.com/cyberpunk-2077-development-costs-more-than-the-witcher-3-expected-sales-to-be-even-bigger

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 June, 2018, 07:57:18 PM
Possibly the absence of that level of capital.

Quickly — to Kickstarter! :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

GTA5 cost over $200 million.

Remember that, anytime you see another well-meaning "You could do an open-world Dredd game, just like GTA!" post.

Krakajac

QuoteWhere does this pessimistic assumption come from? The absence of an ambitious Dredd game isn't some kind of verification of anything.   

If I could understand what you're trying to say, I might attempt a more detailed reply.  Your statement makes no sense.  I was merely suggesting that in this day and age - with modding being a HUGE part of open-world games (again, see Skyrim and Fallout 4) that a Dredd mod (of some kind), is more than possible.  There was no 'pessimism' in my original comment - nor 'assumptions' made - and no 'verifications' suggested (whatever the hell that means).

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.