Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Yep, i think we need to chalk this one up to experience and start looking forward to Button Man.

There is an entire generation of talent, both behind and in front of the camera, who grew up on 2000AD- it's inevitable that some of these people will push for these properties to make it to the screen. Only yesterday i read an interview with Andrew Lincoln (Rick, in Walking Dead) in which he talks of his love of the prog while growing up. Just as it was inevitable Dr Who would return to tv when the fans got successful enough to start making their own shows, so 2000AD will have its days in the sun as the readers become more advanced in their careers. Bowie's son, f'rinstance, just needs one major hit under his belt and who knows- he may well decide to give Dredd another shot. Or Stront. Or whatever.

If it's important to you that 2000AD strips become movies (and i confess that it's not important to me at all) then i think it's a case of waiting a bit, that's all.

SBT

dracula1

Very eloquently put SBT and so true.

CYCLOPZ

dracula1

:lol: That about sums it up  :lol:

Keef Monkey

Is it just me or do things look less bleak right now? According to this taking every region into account it's sitting at around $20,000,000. That's more than double the lifetime gross of something like Punisher:War Zone.

I'm not really stressing about a sequel, just hoping it makes enough that it shakes off the flop label. Whether it's been profitable or not (and it seems pretty clear it will be in the long run) that take is surely enough to get it out of the turkey club (real box office bombs make way less than that).

vzzbux

I truly don't think the general public is ready for a Dredd movie. This was spot on in most aspects and most fan boys seemed happy with this.
Perhaps doing films close to source material isn't the way to go.
At least we have our Dredd movie which pisses all over the 95 shite.
Big thanks again to Alex, Karl and all others that were involved. Especially the designer of the Lawgiver whoever he may be.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

hazy efc

Quote from: vzzbux on 30 September, 2012, 09:34:16 AM
I truly don't think the general public is ready for a Dredd movie. This was spot on in most aspects and most fan boys seemed happy with this.
Big thanks again to Alex, Karl and all others that were involved. Especially the designer of the Lawgiver whoever he may be.

V
I myself think it was the way to go, it aint working out at the box office the way this fantastic movie should, but you no what i think it could still makes its money back at the box office once its run
is over worldwide, and i think it will do really well with dvd/blu ray sales,
if the sale of  dvd/blu rays are really good especially stateside a sequel could happen,
dredd is a sure fire cult classic this movie is going to be rememberd for a long time,
i think like a fight club or shawshank redemption which both flopped at the box office
but had fantastic video/dvd sales it aint over for dredd yet people  :thumbsup:

judge macbrayne

You never know the kids may pester thier mum and dad ,I want he DREDD movie for christmas./mum &dad have not seen the movie  :o :-X ;)

BPP

Is it too late to market Dredd to Tea Party rallies?

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 September, 2012, 03:19:24 PMI have to wonder what proportion of people who think that 3D is intrinsically fuzzy and/or headache causing have actually just been the victim of badly set up projection systems.

A lot, I supsect, as I've said on here before. I see about 4-6 films a month at the cinema so I've seen a LOT of 3D. The best approach seems to be find a cinema that consistent does it well and stick to it.

I always go to Cineworld in Edinburgh and it's consistently good, though not perfect. There's the occasional showing where you can see a bit of 'ghosting' but never the extreme blurriness/fuzziness I've heard others complaint about.

Keef Monkey

Vue in Edinburgh Omni Centre is the best non-IMAX 3D I've seen, the Glasgow Cineworld varies from screen to screen but is never particularly decent.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 September, 2012, 12:32:05 PM
Vue in Edinburgh Omni Centre is the best non-IMAX 3D I've seen, the Glasgow Cineworld varies from screen to screen but is never particularly decent.

Yeah I think Cineworlds vary from location to location. As I said, Edinburgh is good but I went to one in Aberdeen on one occasion and the standard was far lower with more ghosting and motion blur.

DKCX

Buddy in Bogota Columbia went to see it  on release on Wednesday loved it but the numbers in the cinema were poor.

I saw it on a Wednesday night at 10pm so there wasn't many, maybe 20 people. There's posters for it everywhere here, though, I think it might do quite well.

hippynumber1

Quote from: hazy efc on 30 September, 2012, 11:03:35 AM
Quote from: vzzbux on 30 September, 2012, 09:34:16 AM

V
I myself think it was the way to go, it aint working out at the box office the way this fantastic movie should, but you no what i think it could still makes its money back at the box office once its run
is over worldwide, and i think it will do really well with dvd/blu ray sales,
if the sale of  dvd/blu rays are really good especially stateside a sequel could happen,
dredd is a sure fire cult classic this movie is going to be rememberd for a long time,
i think like a fight club or shawshank redemption which both flopped at the box office
but had fantastic video/dvd sales it aint over for dredd yet people  :thumbsup:

The problem is that studios only take into account US box office takings when deciding on sequels. Clearly this, to my mind, is the wrong approach as a film that bombs over there may do extremely well in other territories and if blu/dvd sales were also taken into account (which I don't believe they are) then a 'bomb' could in fact do very well. Now, while I'm sure there are some very good accounting reasons why it doesn't work like this, it just make any sense to me...

Stan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 September, 2012, 08:31:16 AM
Is it just me or do things look less bleak right now? According to this taking every region into account it's sitting at around $20,000,000. That's more than double the lifetime gross of something like Punisher:War Zone.

I'm not really stressing about a sequel, just hoping it makes enough that it shakes off the flop label. Whether it's been profitable or not (and it seems pretty clear it will be in the long run) that take is surely enough to get it out of the turkey club (real box office bombs make way less than that).

I'm just tankful that it was well received, critically speaking. I'd rather that than it being a success financially while being a horrible Dredd film. Though I'm gutted for those involved in making it. I like to think critical acclaim is a far better sleeping pill than is lying on a bed of money.

Oh and congrats to Hazy on his last post. What a joy to read!