Main Menu

Quastions about the Dredd movie script for those who don't want to read it

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 23 November, 2010, 10:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Hi all, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for those who don't wish to read the leaked movie script (and might want to avoid spolers), but are curious about it.

What I'm wondering is, beyond the sci-fi and gunplay, does it actually address major human themes? We hear it's gritty though I'm wondering if it is likely to appeal to those who aren't necessarily deeply into the action or sci-fi genre.

For it's faults, and without getting into another dissection of it, I do see why the Stallone movie made some of it's choices e.g. the Rico plot, for its personal involvement with Dredd, and the recurring theme of 'how uncompromising should The Law be?', though the difficulty of creating a Dredd screenplay is of course the limitations on the main character's emotional development for the course of the story (good for an ongoing comic, not ideal for a film if aimed at a general audience). I'd hate the film to turn out to be something only really appealing to fans and boys. Also, sci-fi, for me at least, tends to be best when asking questions, or using the sci-fi devices to address real everyday human themes and issues (okay, sometimes done more subtly than in Star Trek). Are there some profound moments? Will the film likely have potential for general appeal, or more hi-octane fare to keep genre fans happy for a while?

I'm assuming a lot of people have found and read the script - is there enough there to gauge what the film-makers' thinking is?

Spaceghost

Having read most, but not all, of the script, I feel I've got a pretty decent idea of the tone the film will be going for.

It's very much in the 'high-octane', action set-piece mold. If you've heard comments to the effect that it's like Die Hard, I would say that's pretty accurate. Dredd remains, as you would expect, emotionless, hard as fuck and badass all the way through with Anderson providing the 'in' for the audience. Yes, she's a Judge but it's her first night on the job and it's all a bit overwhelming and exciting.

There are a few moments where Anderson's humanity and empathy create conflict and danger and it's Anderson who has the character development throughout.

I must say, it didn't cross my mind that there were any 'big questions' being asked or answered and the only social commentary is the rather broad 'poor people are at the mercy of those in power' allegory.

Just to be clear; this script is a winner. If the director is good, this film will be fantastic.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

I haven't read all of the script either, but I can categorically say that it's an action movie, plain and simple. Think Robocop.

It's not my ideal Dredd movie script, but it's solid stuff by all accounts and should definitely find an audience. I think the old 'shot glass of rocket fuel' covers it. I think Garland has described the script as a 'coke-amphetamine rush', so no, no deep themes or issues!

JOE SOAP

I think the intention is to make an action film that will reflect the energy of the early shorter stories concerning the danger and pulse of life in a city block. It will appeal to a broad audience and hopefully make enough money and garner support to make something bigger, where the themes you desire may be explored, if, there are subsequent films. Since it's Dredd, there will be some latent moral subtext but I don't think it will be the thrust of the film like say "District 9" where the themes are quite blatant. I think it would be a mistake to expect that. I don't think it will be similar to Robocop or have quite as strong a satirical bent as that film did.

It will have the attitude of "Dirty Harry" but not the humanistic doubt of that film. It will be as much about the meg in microcosm as daily life as a Judge I expect.

This film must reclaim ground lost by the Stallone film so I think what they are doing is in the right direction but it does mean that if more films are to be made, they must broaden the scope and up the ante, no one would want another "Iron man 2" type sequel for Dredd.

Adrian Bamforth

Quote from: radiator on 23 November, 2010, 10:54:14 PM
Think Robocop.

Actually, Robocop is the perfect example: I'm not sure Robocop would have had half the recognition if it hadn't had the Frankenstein angle and Murphy's creepy flashbacks  stuff... though obviously that's not an option.

It's not so much I desire it, as I don't know how possible it is with Dredd, but 'Robocop without the Mary Shelly angle' wouldn't be ideal.

JOE SOAP

The "Murphy" story in Robocop was the solution to the "Hollywood" problems producers had with Dredd as a character when that was the original property certain producers were working on before they moved on to Robocop.

I think the potential of Dredd is far greater and more expansive than that and using Robocop as a template is a mistake I believe. Dredd needs to be a far more authoritative and intimidating presence than Robocop so the humanist angles can be contrasted against the character. No reason that can't be done. The myth that people always need to empathise with the main character must be exploited, as an example, it worked brilliantly for revenge driven anti-hero Lee Marvin in Point Blank so it can work for Dredd too.

das

actually i would love to read the script,
can someone please point me towards a link ??
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Hoagy

I've just popped in to say that the thread title has a very Poppa Lazaroo vibe to it. :D
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

radiator

I think there is a key difference between the comic and film versions of Dredd that may prevent the exploration of the more interesting themes in stories like America and Terror.

In the comics, the judges are a massive, heavily armed, Big Brother-type organisation who rule the population with an iron fist, whereas in the film script (I may be reading this wrong), they appear to have been somewhat recast as an understaffed group of desperate individuals just barely preventing the absolute collapse of civilisation - there is a line in the script in which Dredd refers to the fact that the judges are only able to respond to something like 12% of reported crimes, something that doesn't ring true to a fan of the comics, where he is regularly seen arresting people for jaywalking and not having a goldfish license! The Mega-City One of the movie script also seems a more oppressive, unpleasant place than it is portrayed in the comics - much of the film is set in a lawless slum which is more bleak than anything we see usually see of M-C1.

I believe that Garland deliberately made these distinctions so the audience will have more sympathy for the judges - after all, if justice department operated exactly like it does in the comics, it might be difficult to justify their actions. Having this exaggerated version means we don't need to have a boring origins movie to explain everything.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 24 November, 2010, 10:11:45 AM

I believe that Garland deliberately made these distinctions so the audience will have more sympathy for the judges - after all, if justice department operated exactly like it does in the comics, it might be difficult to justify their actions. Having this exaggerated version means we don't need to have a boring origins movie to explain everything.

Actually I think that would enforce a story like America, the whole point being you can see a reason for both sides of the argument which was a big point in "America", both sides were stated quite clearly, which one is right?

I do disagree with the idea that the Judges (in the comics) were always portrayed as an all powerful, effective force, after all it was there inability to solve the crime problem as it increased, resorting to tranqulising sections of the population that drove Dredd to quit.

Keef Monkey

I quite like the idea of the Judges seeming overwhelmed, after all the intro to each prog states something along those lines (crime runs rampant, Judges the only things narrowly stopping complete anarchy) and it fits with the Mad Max vibe that the biker cop image evokes.

I'm avoiding script spoilers so am thankful for this thread!

radiator

QuoteActually I think that would enforce a story like America, the whole point being you can see a reason for both sides of the argument which was a big point in "America", both sides were stated quite clearly, which one is right?

Not really sure what you mean by that. The point I was trying to make was that the judges in Garland's script don't appear to be anything like as oppressive (nor as numerous) as they are in the comics, so having a democratic terrorist movement against them wouldn't really make sense in that context.

I do disagree with the idea that the Judges (in the comics) were always portrayed as an all powerful, effective force, after all it was there inability to solve the crime problem as it increased, resorting to tranqulising sections of the population that drove Dredd to quit.

Well, they may not have always been, but they certainly have been portrayed as such for most of the strip's existence - with the introduction of PSU etc. The role of the judges seems to be fairly vague in the movie script - but they don't appear to be the sort of outfit that has battalions of Manta tanks and a city-wide blanket surveillance operation at their disposal... But then I could be wrong, I've only read a few pages of it.

Steve Green

From what I remember of the script, I thought they felt a bit more like the elite portrayed in the early progs, where you also had a regular police force.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 24 November, 2010, 10:59:48 AM
Actually I think that would enforce a story like America, the whole point being you can see a reason for both sides of the argument which was a big point in "America", both sides were stated quite clearly, which one is right?

Not really sure what you mean by that. The point I was trying to make was that the judges in Garland's script don't appear to be anything like as oppressive (nor as numerous) as they are in the comics, so having a democratic terrorist movement against them wouldn't really make sense in that context.

What I mean is, though not stated in the current film-script, we must assume there still is no democracy in the Meg and even though it's a society buckling under the strain of crime, it's still run by a cryptofascist governance without elections. Indeed, under this situation there would still be the capacity for other political groups to arise to suggest there is a more liberal way to run things opposed to the state as there are in most societies.

I assume, at least, the rule of the Judges will be heavily implied at some stage in the film or later on, whether that rule is total, or teetering and precarious is beside the point. The Judges have had a shaky rule throughout their history in the comics.

radiator

QuoteFrom what I remember of the script, I thought they felt a bit more like the elite portrayed in the early progs, where you also had a regular police force.

Yes that sounds right to me - think Dredd as he is in the very early strips like Bank Raid or Judge Whitey. A lone rider, very much a Dirty Harry/Mad Max type figure.

QuoteWhat I mean is, though not stated in the current film-script, we must assume there still is no democracy in the Meg and even though it's a society buckling under the strain of crime, it's still run by a cryptofascist governance without elections. Indeed, under this situation there would still be the capacity for other political groups to arise to suggest there is a more liberal way to run things opposed to the state as there are in most societies.

Yes, I suppose that the situation as it is in Garland's script is vague enough so that this could be explored in sequels if there are to be any (though judging from this one, the potential sequels will instead be heading into [spoiler]Dark Judges[/spoiler] territory).

Another thing that made me think that the judges are a much smaller organisation in the movie is that we see Dredd interacting with paramedics - implying that there is no Med-Division and the city is run in a more conventional way - as opposed to the comics where Justice Department apparently acts as government, military and all three emergency services.