Main Menu

Dead Island

Started by the shutdown man, 18 February, 2011, 10:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

radiator

Anyone know what sort of game this will be?

I still live in hope that someone will do a proper open world zombie/survival game at some point. Something that captures the pace and atmosphere of the early Resident Evil games combined with the practical survival elements of SOS: Day of Disaster. No scripting, no predetermined routes, no cutscenes - just you alone in an infested city where you have to improvise and use only the limited tools you can scavenge to escape.

I've seen the likes of Dead Rising, but that plays the situation for laughs - I'd like to see it done dead straight. Left 4 Dead is OK, but you could hardly call it a zombie game - it's too fast-paced and action packed. What I liked about the original Resident Evil was the tension it conveyed - the agony of waiting for the next encounter - entering a room and hearing a zombie (or maybe multiple zombies) around the corner and just out of sight.

No silly 'special' zombies either - just your standard Romero shuffling zombies (and maybe the odd running one to spice things up) and you could also fight other enemies like LMOs, Quislings (like out of World War Z), bandit gangs and the occasional escaped (maybe reanimated) zoo animal.

the shutdown man

From what I've read, it will be first person shooter with RPG elements, in an open world setting. Details are still pretty light at the moment thought, that was the first announcement trailer. 
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

TordelBack

Hmm, essentially I'd like to see an FPS version of Urban Dead, assuming I could delegate my actual life to a pliant clone.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: the shutdown man on 18 February, 2011, 10:34:24 AM
From what I've read, it will be first person shooter with RPG elements, in an open world setting. Details are still pretty light at the moment thought, that was the first announcement trailer. 

That's pretty much what I heard, although they've said there won't be any guns (or at the very least they'll be rare). Apparently you'll have to rely on found items as makeshift weapons. There is a screenshot of a woman with a samurai sword though so could be nonsense!

I'd actually assumed this game was cancelled it had been so long without any word, but that trailer is probably the most effective trailer I've ever seen. I've shown it to a few people, two of those people have cried. For a videogame trailer, that's impressive stuff.

GordonR

Trailer's by Axis Animation in Glasgow, who I've done some work with recently.  It's astonishingly good.

HOO-HAA

I know it's very 1995 of me, but why can't we have third person zombie RPGs anymore? WHY, damn it?!

Dan

Not trying to be deliberately contrarian, but [spoiler]I didn't like it at all[/spoiler].

I missed what I suspect was the emotional impact in trying to figure out what was the point of the annoying backwardlyness of it all and I have a severe allergic reaction to uncanny valley.

That said zombie games are often very entertaining so I'll keep an eye out for it. Very keen on 4 player coop and the RPG aspects. L4D(2) is one of my faves.

Keef Monkey

For me the backwardyness made the whole thing, as the whole decision seems to have been geared towards the part with the father and daughter in the hallway. Forwards it's [spoiler]a guy rescuing his daughter from zombies (albeit temporarily), but in reverse it's a really touching moment because he's laying her down in the midst of it all and letting her go. The music does a wee dip at that point and it breaks even my cold stone heart![/spoiler]

There's been a ton of videos gone up (predictably) where people have recut it in chronological order, stating it makes it 'more harrowing' and whatnot, but for me it loses it's impact that way.

TordelBack

That trailer has had me in a bad mood all day.  I'm not sure that was the desired effect.

Jared Katooie

It's a pretty bold choice for a trailer promoting a game where you kill lots of zombies. Glad to see there's still some creativity in the games industry.

It's a bit too blatant an assault on the heartstrings for my liking though.

Tiplodocus

Awww - I thought it was a real life Zombie survival horror game where, like, you go on holiday for a week and then have to doge zombies while getting a sun tan.  Nerf guns and foam axes and sledge hammers - it could be fun.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 February, 2011, 04:49:30 PM
Awww - I thought it was a real life Zombie survival horror game where, like, you go on holiday for a week and then have to doge zombies while getting a sun tan.  Nerf guns and foam axes and sledge hammers - it could be fun.

Oh it's all good fun until somebody throws their daughter through a tenth-storey window...

strontium71

Watch it this way round http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwtr_-4vz6g
Really sad.. :(
Zombies look like real baaad-asses as well
...because I hate you.

mogzilla

brutal stuff, that bit were he looked in her eyes for the last time...