Main Menu

Dead Space 2

Started by Goaty, 05 May, 2010, 11:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Yeah I am really close to getting a DLC pack but am torn on which one to get.

It's a toss up between the supernova and martial law packs. I'm leaning towards martial law for the force gun but supernova has a better suit (med pack bonus) and a nice upgraded pulse rifle.

The other nice thing about supernova is it comes with a contact beam which I didn't use really at all on my games but is by all accounts amazing - plus the ammo sells for 1k per drop.

Which one did you get? I'm guessing the martial law pack for the force gun?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dan on 16 February, 2011, 08:49:15 AM
Yeah I am really close to getting a DLC pack but am torn on which one to get.

It's a toss up between the supernova and martial law packs. I'm leaning towards martial law for the force gun but supernova has a better suit (med pack bonus) and a nice upgraded pulse rifle.

The other nice thing about supernova is it comes with a contact beam which I didn't use really at all on my games but is by all accounts amazing - plus the ammo sells for 1k per drop.

Which one did you get? I'm guessing the martial law pack for the force gun?

Yeah I took the Martial Law one, there's a pulse rifle and force gun and one of the suits gives the pulse rifle a damage upgrade which was nice. Not sure if I would have made it without that stuff, but I certainly didn't make it very far on my first attempt without it!

That's me got the achievement! I mainly just feel relieved, it was a pretty stressful experience!

Dan

Dan

Did it! Also went for the Martial Law pack. Saved on chapters 5, 10 and 13. Once I got that first save down it was (mostly) plain sailing.

Just bought severed (DLC) which is just out, looking forward to giving it a go tonight.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dan on 01 March, 2011, 12:04:40 PM
Did it! Also went for the Martial Law pack. Saved on chapters 5, 10 and 13. Once I got that first save down it was (mostly) plain sailing.

Just bought severed (DLC) which is just out, looking forward to giving it a go tonight.

Yasss! Nicely done. Saving at 5 is pretty early, there's a lot of seat of your pants moments between there and 10! Didn't realize Severed was out already, will need to grab that asap.

Dan

I really didn't have the time to power all the way through to 8 or 9 to make it worth my while saving after chap 7. Save at 5 just before the big dirty bastard in the church was right for me.

Amusingly I only died once between 5 - 10, and it was the last necromorph in the last corridor before you do the chapter 7 disc swap. One of those clinging to the wall with tentacles things that spit the little things out at you, I usually alt-fire the pulse rifle at 'em for a one shot, but I was toting the force gun at the time - got a little too close and it took my head off :O

[spoiler]The ejection seat after the solar array and the eye poke machine[/spoiler] were nerve wracking knowing I'd lose a good 1-2 hours of work if I messed up. My final timestamp on the save game was 6 hours 20 mins or so, almost half what my normal run clocked in at (11 hours-odd).

Started a new zealot game just to mess about with the hand cannon. Really fun running around with that. I bet you could speed-run the whole game in about 4 hours using it.

Dan

Severed was pretty good. Quite short in that it's only 2 chapters, but cheaper than most DLCs and still packs quite a lot of action into the couple of hours (give or take) that it takes to run through. More DS2 always good!

Keef Monkey

Nice, didn't expect much length from it, but a couple of new chapters will be well worth it. Downloaded it, but I've also crumbled and bought Bulletstorm, so torn about what to play now!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Sorry to necropost, but I've just finished this (never having played it before). It was dashed good fun. Very tense in places, and one the more superior games I've played in a long while.

Anyone with a PC is heartily recommended to pick it up in a Steam sale. But you'll need an Xbox controller to play it.

Now looking forward to the upcoming third game - I never liked the first, but having had good fun with the second I'll give the third a whirl.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

First videos and info about DS3 actually really worried me; they've put co-op into it, there's a cover system and you're fighting human soldiers for parts of it. I don't really have a problem with more action as such, but it was looking a bit generic and not very Dead Spacey (but more Gears of War), but the subsequent trailers have all looked the part. Can't see them messing it up, DS2 was such a confident piece of awesome.

ThryllSeekyr

I'm still stuck playing the first game of this. The way I am stuck, I think I will need to start all over again.

Is this one worth getting?

Banners

No. The first one's great and worth persevering with - but the sequel was really dull (until I gave up).

sheldipez

I enjoyed DS2 through to the end BUT not as much as the first and it put me off DS3. Sounds harsh but it was a case of it's way more action than horror, heard the third one has moved into behind cover shooter so no thanks.